Wiki Posts
Search

Motor for M-03

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 06:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Motor for M-03

Hi there,

I have recently purchased and built a Mini Cooper Racing on a M-03 chassis. I was wondering if anyone who has expierence with these could voice their opinion as to what motor to go with. I don't use it for racing, just for having fun. At present it is standard bar a set of ballrace bearings.

Cheers
Old 06-26-2004, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

For playing around, I'd just suggest getting a RS-540 Sports Tuned motor from tamiya. There's not a real lot of point going any hotter in the Mini. That's what I'd suggest at least. Also, get some HPI mini tyres. They are great and even though you aren't racing, you will still appreciate the improved level of grip.

ENJOY!!!
Old 06-27-2004, 05:36 AM
Tech Initiate

I have seen on ebay a Tamiya RS540 sport tuned and a Trinity Revenge of the Monster Horsepower being auctioned.
Are these 2 motors similar in power levels, they seem to be equally priced in the shops???

Many Thanks
Old 06-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Well the sports tuned is certainly a weaker motor, without a doubt. But...... with the gearing of the M03, you will probably cook or harm that trinity motor. You will need to get the 18T pinion probably if you get the trinity motor. Honestly, I would just stick with the sports tuned for bashing around, but also, don't buy an RS540 from Ebay, the comm or brushes will probably be worn down, and they are REALLY cheap new really. I'd still suggest that.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Don't wanna be doing that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Has anyone had any expierence with these motors in these r/c cars????
Old 06-27-2004, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Of course, check out my signature. I own an M03L and it kicks ass. Soo much different to race then touring cars or my F1. And yes, in the Tamiya Championship rounds at state, national and world level, they race with these motors. They are like the most recommended motor for it. The car will be great with it, i assure you.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:39 AM
Tech Initiate

cool, can any tell me what wires are positive and negative on the standard tamiya motor? they are just yellow and green without any signs on them.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Yellow is positive and Green is negative. It shouldn't blow up anything if the polarity is wrong, but the car will go backward instead of forward.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Tech Initiate

I wired it up that way and it worked fine, then suddenly reverse became forwards and vica-versa.

Any ideas as too why this would happen???

Cheers
Old 06-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Another option is to run a p2k{not a p2k2} with a 20 tooth pinion.When I race at other tracks I have run my Mini with the sportman sedan drivers on occasion and Tq'd with this combo.This motor has tons of torque and will readily withstand the power.At the track I usually race at we run what was suggested before. the Black can 540 tamiya motor.Fast enough if your tooling around.But the P2k is awsome in this car.Out accelerated almost every regular touring car that were running Moster stock motors and this was on a 150 foot straight away.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Yeh, I'd suggest doing that sort of motor change once you have gained enough experience with the sports tuned. Then when you want MORE speed, go for the P2K, or something similiar at least.

Probably the worst thing you want to do is to have the best motor first, for enjoyability sake, because you want have longevity with it. It is a hobby