R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Almost burn myself (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/43665-almost-burn-myself.html)

BBSGS4 06-26-2004 12:03 AM

Almost burn myself

Hi guys:
I almost burn myself badly, so long story short. I bought a set of used matched battery, so i had it charged. Just now i was tring to put my Yokomo MR4-TC together, put the batteries on and the holder wont fit, so i had the car sit my lap, though i smell sthg funny, then my lap was getting warm.
When i lift the car and from the bottom, it was burning hot! i wonder if this happen anyone before?! i am really scare of putting the battery back on the car....

Wency_TA03R-PRO 06-26-2004 12:13 AM

what charger did you used? as from your story it seems that the battery were over charged which accumulates too much heat on the cells...:nod: :) Its just my opinion....

trigger 06-26-2004 12:17 AM

check the heat shrink around the cells.

trigger 06-26-2004 12:18 AM

also check to see if the pack is still good. one cell maybe bad now,

Merciless 06-26-2004 12:59 AM

I'm sure you'll find the cells were "shorting out" on the chassis somewhere !!! :eek: That were you need to look for problems be very carefull when puitting another set in for the first time to ensure it can't happen again or that'll another set of cells down the pan :cry:

BBSGS4 06-26-2004 01:19 AM

well, i bought this Rayspeed chassis used. and the previous owner added a 6mm thick bar under neath the main shaft, and i see 2 bolts there and i was guessing thats where the batteries were shorting, but i took a risk on put the battery back on, but then they seems to be touching at all.
i will take some pics and post them tomorrow.
and thanks for the inputs guys!;:smile:

Wency_TA03R-PRO 06-26-2004 01:36 AM

That must be the main reason why your battery pack heat up that much....:nod: :cool:

IMPACTPLAYR 06-26-2004 06:51 AM

Rule of thumb, never lay anything that could possibly burn up or explode anywhere near the family jewels!!!!! unless you really want a sack of roasted nuts....LOL

stumper 06-26-2004 08:22 AM

nevermind!

seaball 06-26-2004 08:29 AM

i sometimes use my belt buckle to set my soldering iron down on. is that not a good idea then?

DOMOisCOOL 06-26-2004 01:38 PM

Sounds like something that happened to me. I somehow overcharged the pack. Then I put the battery on the car, attatched the connectors. Then the end cell started glowing bright orange. I quickly took it off and it melted a little bit of the chassis revealing the weaving in the carbon fiber.

raving-monkey 06-26-2004 05:40 PM

lol.

first time out with my evo2 (before i got pro4/t1r) and i put my batteries in and my car was sat on the line (waiting for my number to be called out).

and this guy shouts to the rostrum "whos car is this?" so i go "its mine".

then he goes (ina really calm and relaxed voice) "well, your batteries are on fire"

yes i mean on fire, i could see the flames when i ran over to my car (yep, the numpty didnt even attempt to switch my car off)

afterwards i just couldnt stop laughing at it:lol: but then again, i lost a decent set of batts:(