Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
LRP SXX V2 for 1/12th Stock - Opinion >

LRP SXX V2 for 1/12th Stock - Opinion

LRP SXX V2 for 1/12th Stock - Opinion

Old 10-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Friend is a AE/LRP driver, we both are getting back into Touring Car, we both have TC5F's, LRP X12 17.5s, both 4 Dot timing, Only diff is I am running a RS, he has the SXX V2 (brand new never used).

He has tried every timing setting on the SXX, new sensor wire, gearing up and down, and he has some immense "cogging" in the system (even on a stand, trying 1/8 throttle it just sits and "chugs" like a old tractor) and when it does go, I just motor by him and come off with temps 30 deg less

Given what Tekin is offering vs LRP right now, that is why i went with another RS. I really wish LRP or someone else could come out with a system that can compete, but as of right now there isnt.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FLHX1550
Friend is a AE/LRP driver, we both are getting back into Touring Car, we both have TC5F's, LRP X12 17.5s, both 4 Dot timing, Only diff is I am running a RS, he has the SXX V2 (brand new never used).

He has tried every timing setting on the SXX, new sensor wire, gearing up and down, and he has some immense "cogging" in the system (even on a stand, trying 1/8 throttle it just sits and "chugs" like a old tractor) and when it does go, I just motor by him and come off with temps 30 deg less

Given what Tekin is offering vs LRP right now, that is why i went with another RS. I really wish LRP or someone else could come out with a system that can compete, but as of right now there isnt.
That actually makes sense, as the SXX V2 isn't meant for high wind stock motors. It certainly shouldn't be on par with an RS boosted.
The SXXSS would be a better choice for your friend, if he wanted an LRP speedo.

Last edited by RedBullFiXX; 10-22-2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: grammar :(
Old 10-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
That actually makes sense, as the SXX V2 isn't mean for high wind stock motors. It certainly shouldn't be on par with an RS boosted.
The SXXSS would be a better choice for your friend, if he wanted an LRP speedo.
Why couldn't a esc do both? If its just firmware? I would assume the Competition V2 can handle more power than a SS. So being able to program it for a high wind shouldn't be an issue.

In other words. Why are there 2 speed controls needed for spec versus mod when one of them (the competition) could do the work of both?

If the spec is cheaper than it obviously has less bells and whistles. Which still points to the competition then being to emulate the SS with ease.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oXYnary
Why couldn't a esc do both? If its just firmware? I would assume the Competition V2 can handle more power than a SS. So being able to program it for a high wind shouldn't be an issue.
Firmware and Hardware are different, according to LRP
In other words. Why are there 2 speed controls needed for spec versus mod when one of them (the competition) could do the work of both?
LRP seem to have different profiles for mod motors with SXX & SXX TC, the SXXSS is the only esc they offer with full boosting capability for stock speck motors
If the spec is cheaper than it obviously has less bells and whistles. Which still points to the competition then being to emulate the SS with ease.
The SXXSS is more $$ than the SXXv2

Look at the LRP forums for an explanation to all of this. LINK
Old 02-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Our local 1/12 racing class only requires 1s 10.5 brushless - anything goes for software boosted or not booster - would one need the LRP SXX Competition V.2 Or the LRP SXX Stock Spec V.2 ?

I called Assoicated and was informed to go with the Stock Spec V.2...
Old 02-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Default Dont think just go out and buy one, even two

The LRP SXX STOCK SPEC rocks with 10.5
I now have 2 of these controllers and they are the Biz. Having had the tekin and BDiamond in the last 12 months the new LRP just blows them away.
i run 1/12th 1s 10.5 pan car and 1s WGT 10.5 pan car. Both are now flying machines.
Any settings please pm , also run with the X12 10.5 and motor runs very cool.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ok here is the reason LRP has 3 different Speed sontrolls. Each has its own little nich. The SXX TC is for mod Touring plain and simple. The SXX Competition is geared more towards 1/12 scale because of its lower profile and towards offroad as most don't run smaller than a 6.5 motor. And its slightly smaller size makes fitting it in a b44 or other such machine easier. The SXX stoxk spec is gear for the stock racer who isn't quite fast enough to run mod. These have static and dynamic timing built in hence timing and Boost (boost is dynamic timing). This is what allows cars with 17.5 and 13.5 motors to be almost as fast as their Mod counterparts. The SXX Stock spec; though, has seemed to take the place of the TC and Competition. It is capable of handling the same turn motor the SXX TC is it is as smooth and precise as the Competition and can hang with the Tekin in 17.5 and 13.5 boosted sedan. This ESC is dominating the ETS over in Europe and is quickly becoming an ESC worth having here in America with Associated driver like Kevin Herbert in the front of the feild in 17.5 boosted sedan proving LRP still has what it takes to win races the world over.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Tech Adept

Hi there I am looking for some advice.

I have a SXX competition version 2 in my 1/12 and after i feel that the motor and ESC are not that warm after 5-7 mins of practicing. Not 100% sure of the exact temperature.

I dont have any boost on. High traction track as we use traction fluid.

Currently My settting is 90T gear and 24T pinion on a 3.5T motor. I am running 1s lipo.

Is this all ok? Can the SXX competition version 2 handle the 3.5T motor?

I also notice from LRP B.E.C. over 4.5 turns. What does B.E.C mean and if I am using 3.5 turns will this not function?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2011, 12:19 AM
Tech Regular

I ran the new SXX SS V.2 at the Snowbirds in 1/12th 13.5 and was really impressed. I ended up qualifying 5th and finishing 5th in the A.

It had tons of top end and really good rip.Speed wise I was not out horsepowered by anyone. I hot lapped atleast 2 maybe 3 of the 4 qualifying rounds and was on a Tq pace a few times but just never could put a whole run together. Then for the main i took a shot to find even more speed and missed the rollout/motor timing.

I am not saying it is faster than the Tekin's, but I think it has the potential to be just as good for the time being. I ran Tekin's for the last 3 years and still do sometimes as well and they are really stout, no doubt about it, but at this point I cannot say the Tekin's are hands down better.

Both speedo's have pro's and con's, but what I can tell you is the LRP is alot more user friendly to setup and run. Not needing an interface and pc to make changes is really nice. Also not needing to run a receiver pack is great too.

I am running the SXX SS V.2 in mod as well, same speedo. In mod I run it in the lowest settings (1,1) and it is ultra smooth. So really you can run the same speedo in boosted classes and in full mod in this case, atleast it is working for me.

Like I said at this point I think the LRP and Tekin are really close to equal in the Boosted classes. If I had to say one was faster over an 8 min run right now I would say still the Tekin, but I think more testing and knowledge learned for rollout/motor timing will close the small gap that may be there.

This is all my honest unbiased opinion as I am not sponsored by either Tekin or LRP at the moment but both companies have helped me out alot currently and in the past and sincerely thank them for that.

If anyone has any other questions about the SXX SS V.2 I will try to help as best I can.
Thanks,
Old 02-18-2011, 02:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Yeah Donny.....like where can I get one?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Donny

Can you post your 13.5 setup?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JayBee
Yeah Donny.....like where can I get one?
I don't know the answer to that one. I thought they were already released. I got mine at the Birds from Associated to help with testing.

Originally Posted by reynard55
Donny

Can you post your 13.5 setup?
10,10 on speedo
Duo3 one notch from max timing
35/84 with 1.68 rear tire

hope this helps
Old 02-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

Default bit dissapointed

The Esc in my 1/12th died today, raced for 8 mins , after run decide to turn punch don to 4, switched on lit up and just as i was about to press the set button , Totally died, no smoke noise died in its sleep.
only had it 8 days Hope this is not reflection of what is to come. My other one is working fine in my WGT.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default SXX

I have a MMPro 1 cell that I've tried in my 1/12 car...it's huge and does not have a BEC. So I have to run a LIFE and it's a pita! The MMPro does not have a Turbo function but rather a CHEAT mode that you can specify what timing at what RPM. The software is great to use but you need a laptop, and alot of room in your 1/12.

I just ordered my SXX Comp V2 from Rcboys and I can't wait to try it! I spent weeks researching the differences between the RS and the V2 and hands down it's the winner. I plan on using it for 17.5 boosted.

No LIFE or seperate voltage booster becuase it's built in.
No programing card or computer to set it up.
Size is only like 5mm different, and it weighs less than the RS!

If you read the manual on the LRP website you can easily read into it that the speed controller does have advanced settings that seem like turbo profiles with overlapping expo or linear curves depending on the settings. It's set up differently than the RS.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

SXX SS V.2 I have had both v1 and v2. 2 is the ticket. Please keep in mind that the "feel" setting is nothing like a current limiter or punch control.
With a 13.5 1s it seems to be very happy with feel set to 3-4 with a high c battery. If your running one of the lower c rated batteries 4-6 seems to find the sweet spot. Like the paper work says if it the power fades during the run lower your feel setting.
By lowering feel it may have a small effect on the amount of boost that you see on the track. Before you get ahead of yourself and crank the boost up I would strongly recommend either increasing your roll out or add motor timing. The boost you think you lost is still there ya just gotta get it out of the speed control.
To give you an example. They changed the track lay out at the local carpet track and the boost I had on the previous lay out was not any where near enough. Old set up roll out 65mm with settings of 1,4,6,0, 13.5 X-12.
The newer layout is tighter and there is allot more accelerating from very slow speeds to W.O.T. Everyone was gearing up. I gave this one shot and dropped roll out to 62mm. Boost was gone. This was my sign that I went the wrong way, no need to go back and crank boost up. To do so would have been a band aid at best. So I started raising roll out and ended up at 68mm. It was huallin @ZZ!
First run on the clock she went soft at about 6:30. I now had to reduce feel to 3. Lost some speed on the top end, corner exit was still VERY strong. My choices, add boost, add gear, add motor timing. I chose to add motor timing(3 dot) because I had only lost a little on top end. Bingo quicker than it had been the whole day.
If your making boost motor temp will be somewhere 150 or higher. No boost you'll be lucky to get it over 105. The temp deal with this esc is a huge indicator. There seems to be no middle ground.
With in reason you need to optimize your set up to pull current= big roll out and motor timing.
I am running a DUO2 13.5 now. HELL YEAH it's fast (same as the X-12). Same track roll out is 72mm 1,4,10,0 and motor timing is two notches advanced. The only battery I'm using is the Reedy#629. Not trying to pimp, I have ran them all and this one hands down is the winner.
I am very happy with this speed control. It was a little frustrating at first trying to find that magical bullseye. It still seems odd to go to a larger roll out when first thought would be to gear up.
What I really like is watching the tekin, Novak, purple passion, golden lion people go scrambling for the lap tops when I suck the paint off of there cars. My stuff is that quick and all I have to do is look at blinkin lights and press buttons with a 1.5mm Hudy wrench. NICE

Last edited by MugenDrew; 06-16-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.