Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ofna Ultra GTP2e

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

knock off of gt2 ve , at $500+ rather buy a Kyosho gt2 brushless rtr for couple extra dollars can't beat there vette body compared to this fake looking thing
Or pickup up my buddy's gt2 brushless he sellin n here for 350

Last edited by FLoJo; 10-12-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Tech Rookie

anyone running a GTP2e w/ a low KV motor? Would like to hear your results and temps. I have a 1600kv motor that I plan on running a 36/36 setup...
Old 10-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kenny4128
anyone running a GTP2e w/ a low KV motor? Would like to hear your results and temps. I have a 1600kv motor that I plan on running a 36/36 setup...
I am currently running a 2200 mamba monster system in mine. Once I get it all dialed to the point of squeezing the last MPH I can get out of it I will try a 1518 1800KV motor for comparison. I have a feeling it mioght be easier to go fast with lower KV due to the capability to pull taller gearing more efficiently. I am currently not getting anywhere near the full rpm potential out of the 2200 motor yet.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Wink

I have almost tried every motor including the 1717. The best so far is the 2200 hands down. For speed 36/36 will not work out unless you are running at least 1000 feet for the motor to spool up. 30/34 34/37 34/38 are the sweetest combos.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by dasrustler
I have almost tried every motor including the 1717. The best so far is the 2200 hands down. For speed 36/36 will not work out unless you are running at least 1000 feet for the motor to spool up. 30/34 34/37 34/38 are the sweetest combos.
Thanks a lot, good to know. I want to be quick out of the hole too so I will put those gears on order too. I already have the 36/36 in my arsenal and want to see where that puts me. I know that heat is energy lost so if I am running hot time to gear down...on a side note saw a guy on YouTube hit 141 running 8s w/ a CC ice ESC (for boats) blown away by his results. I am new to the electric rc world but I am convinced if ya wanna go fast its gotta be electric.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks a lot, good to know. I want to be quick out of the hole too so I will put those gears on order too. I already have the 36/36 in my arsenal and want to see where that puts me. I know that heat is energy lost so if I am running hot time to gear down...on a side note saw a guy on YouTube hit 141 running 8s w/ a CC ice ESC (for boats) blown away by his results. I am new to the electric rc world but I am convinced if ya wanna go fast its gotta be electric.
See that you from LB. I am in LA. Should join us for some runs.: -)
Old 10-18-2012, 01:10 AM
Tech Regular

With these cars running mamba monster systems you never have to worry about having enough power out of the hole. I'm currently running 34/36 and if I was to punch it from a stop or even a roll the car would either spin out or flip itself over backwards. With hearing this tall you do need to keep an eye on your temps.I will make 2 or 3 hard runs then stop and let everything cool down. Another thing to look out for is cogging. I have been having an issue with cogging (stuttering) from a dead stop. I have just ordered some higher discharge batteries that should help with that problem.

For gearing, you are going to run hot if you are going for triple digit speeds. I don't gear by temperate in this case. I try to gear for rpm. These motors are rated by castle to safely hit 60I rpm and I believe they are capable of even more. But you know that a 2200 motor on 6s is capable of 55440 rpm. What I like to do is calculate what my rpm was after a run. I can then adjust my gearing based on what that number is. If I do a run and the motor is nearing the peak potential rpm then I know my gearing is in the sweet spot. But if I calculate my rpm and it is significantly lower than the potential rpm the I need to gear down and try again.

I talked to the guy on YouTube who has the 141mph run. I wanted to pick his brain a little about his setup. He is running a castle mamba xl2 ESC with a 2200 motor on 6s.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

your cogging is more due to the sensorless system along with hi gearing , throw a tekin sensored setup and it wont do that no matter what gearing , just dont think the tekin systems are as powerful or can handle the power like castles just my opnion though
my xo-1 did that also everytime I had it setup for hi speed , with lower gearing it never did that .

That guy one youtube was running 8S on that run and let it sit almost ten minutes after the run because temps got hot .. thats spooling the 2200kv motor at over 66,ooo rpms which is about the only way its gonna get up to 140mph because with 6S your just gonna wish to see 140mph
Old 10-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FLoJo
your cogging is more due to the sensorless system along with hi gearing , throw a tekin sensored setup and it wont do that no matter what gearing , just dont think the tekin systems are as powerful or can handle the power like castles just my opnion though
my xo-1 did that also everytime I had it setup for hi speed , with lower gearing it never did that .

That guy one youtube was running 8S on that run and let it sit almost ten minutes after the run because temps got hot .. thats spooling the 2200kv motor at over 66,ooo rpms which is about the only way its gonna get up to 140mph because with 6S your just gonna wish to see 140mph
I agree with you about the Tekin systems. It is an awesome system but I don't think it as powerfull as the Castle system for speed runs. If I was just running normal speeds I would use Tekin because it is so smooth.

They guy on YouTube hit 131 on 6s. 141 on 8s!

Last edited by yakfish; 10-18-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

A Tekin T8 combo will be just as fast as a Mamba monster. Just use a little higher Kv. The Tekin RX8 ESC is way smoother then the MMM ESC which is basically a on/off switch compared to the RX8. I think the Tekin motor is higher efficiency too but dependent on which type. The fact they are sensored makes it lack a little top end but that can be compensated, just use a little higher Kv or larger pinion. The Tekin series has a lot of Delta wound that are generally slightly more inefficient then Wye wounds. However the Castle cans run hotter then they should for a Wye, they are still less efficient. The Mambas are all Wye wounds. If you want best of both worlds take a Tekin RX8 with Steve Neu motor (the black cans) The are as smooth as a sensored Tekin buth unsensored so they have a higher top end.
Oh, and this is based on 1 on 1 tests I did.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DJLeonardo
A Tekin T8 combo will be just as fast as a Mamba monster. Just use a little higher Kv. The Tekin RX8 ESC is way smoother then the MMM ESC which is basically a on/off switch compared to the RX8. I think the Tekin motor is higher efficiency too but dependent on which type. The fact they are sensored makes it lack a little top end but that can be compensated, just use a little higher Kv or larger pinion. The Tekin series has a lot of Delta wound that are generally slightly more inefficient then Wye wounds. However the Castle cans run hotter then they should for a Wye, they are still less efficient. The Mambas are all Wye wounds. If you want best of both worlds take a Tekin RX8 with Steve Neu motor (the black cans) The are as smooth as a sensored Tekin buth unsensored so they have a higher top end.
Oh, and this is based on 1 on 1 tests I did.
Total opposite of what I found on my tests. The only.difference I didn't try rx8 with nue. Every pass castle was at least 8mph higher than tekin.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Tech Regular

If you would compare a Tekin T8 4030 2650Kv to a Caslte 1512 2650 then I would agree with you. Due to the sensored system of the Tekin.

However since the Tekins are slightly more efficient (=less heat) the Tekin can be gearing higher wihtout getting too hot. Hence the higher topspeed, if that is what you are after off course.

I also run a SC truck (the AE) with a MMM ESC and Neu 1515 with fan. That is just brutal. It sound like a race truck too. The setup is both smooth in the lower end and powefull all the way too the top. THe RX8 would make it smoother thoug (running it unsensored)

Also the Tekin combo is a lot lighter too, and smaller. Also kind off important if you want agility.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 107 (100%+)

I personally think the RX8 can not handle the power needed to run a 100mph gearing. Because I burned up 3 RX8, 2 of which were brand new. When I say burn up I mean catch on fire and melted had the ESC kind of burn. I was running a 30/42 gearing.

I agree the RX8 is nice and smooth, but I think it is only good for racing on a track with moderate to low gearing.

It's great that it is efficient but it doesn't matter of it can not put out all the power need to get the car up to speed.

Yes you can get the car to go over 100mph with the RX8 (I have done it) but you might risk burning up the ESC.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wrong17
I personally think the RX8 can not handle the power needed to run a 100mph gearing. Because I burned up 3 RX8, 2 of which were brand new. When I say burn up I mean catch on fire and melted had the ESC kind of burn. I was running a 30/42 gearing.

I agree the RX8 is nice and smooth, but I think it is only good for racing on a track with moderate to low gearing.

It's great that it is efficient but it doesn't matter of it can not put out all the power need to get the car up to speed.

Yes you can get the car to go over 100mph with the RX8 (I have done it) but you might risk burning up the ESC.
Agreed. Even the 2 motor direct drive custom rig by friend built couldn't pass 106 on 2 RX8 2650 combos. Hit 115 on one MMM with a 2200.

My results are from speed and a eagle tree 150A tekin pushes about 700w less than a castle.

Tekin is smooth hands down but when it comes to getting down ans dirty, eh
Old 10-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Tech Regular

It took Tekin a while to produce a RX8 that did not catch fire. That gave it the bad name. But that is a long time ago now. True, just for brute power I would also use the MMM in a high speedrun setup. Or in fact a Hobbywing Xerun 150 as I am running now in my GT. Motor wise, needles to say, I would run neither a Castle nor a Tekin either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.