R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #991
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-E View Post
Anyone out there run this => Speed Passion Silver Arrow V2.0 1/8th Scale Brushless ESC/Motor Combo (2200kV)?

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the Tekin RX8 with 2050 motor to put in the GTP2e I bought today, but then I found the above.... The SP combo is HALF that of the Tekin combo - $150 vs. $300.

I know the Tekin probably has infinite adjust-ability with the Hotwire, but for the price is the simple SP any good?
There is a reason it's only half price, its only half as good and you will only get half the support. Tekin is built in the USA and they backup their products.

You may think you know what you're talking about, but the only person you're fooling is yourself - Wild Bill Massey
WildBillMassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #992
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyERevo View Post
My first on road car too, here is what I have. 6s, 2650kv, 25t pinion, steel spur, sweep belted tires.

lol nice! yup i've got sweeps on the way as well actually. stock tires got the foams all balled up.
OFNA Ultra GTP-2E - Sold
Team Associated B5m
daravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #993
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Hi I just picked up my gtp2 e and I've been reading a lot on motor choices but I'm looking for top speed what do I need to get to 80mph or more ,and if I go with this type of motor will it still have torque to drift some? Ill be running 6s lipo rx8 esc ..I've been thinkin of just throwin in my savage flux Setup in its 2200 kv ..also where do i start for pinion size for ether thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #994
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc4now View Post
Hi I just picked up my gtp2 e and I've been reading a lot on motor choices but I'm looking for top speed what do I need to get to 80mph or more ,and if I go with this type of motor will it still have torque to drift some? Ill be running 6s lipo rx8 esc ..I've been thinkin of just throwin in my savage flux Setup in its 2200 kv ..also where do i start for pinion size for ether thanks
yes that motor has plenty of power to drift. if you're using the stock spur gear you'll want to use a pinion of about 21t to achieve 80 mph. use the rc speed calculator. diff ratio is 3.3.

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html
OFNA Ultra GTP-2E - Sold
Team Associated B5m
Old 08-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #995
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Cool man thanks !
Old 08-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #996
Tech Apprentice

Not a problem bud.

Question for all of you running dm-1 springs:

I installed front white dm-1 springs last night and there's no adjustment left to lower the car any further (sitting way too high at about 17.5mm). Rear springs seem to be fine, it's just the front that I'm having issues with. I'm guessing that changing the shock mounting positions on the shock towers and/or suspension arms will fix the problem, but I'm wondering what shock mounting positions most of you are using with the dm-1 springs. Thanks guys.
OFNA Ultra GTP-2E - Sold
Team Associated B5m
Old 08-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #997
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daravelli View Post
Not a problem bud.

I installed front white dm-1 springs last night and there's no adjustment left to lower the car any further (sitting way too high at about 17.5mm). Rear springs seem to be fine, it's just the front that I'm having issues with. I'm guessing that changing the shock mounting positions on the shock towers and/or suspension arms will fix the problem, but I'm wondering what shock mounting positions most of you are using with the dm-1 springs. Thanks guys.
is the spring short or long what is the part number?
SNR Graphite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #998
Tech Adept

Quote:
Not a problem bud.

Seems like your not adjusting the droop screws ,in each front lower arm at the rear of the arm near the pin.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #999
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNR Graphite View Post
is the spring short or long what is the part number?
Short on the front (OFN40739) Long on the rear (OFN40751).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
Seems like your not adjusting the droop screws ,in each front lower arm at the rear of the arm near the pin.
Yeah Joat I haven't messed with the droop settings yet at all... just got the springs installed last night and didn't have a lot of time to mess with it. Was just wondering about how most of you guys using these springs are set up. I didn't think ride height was supposed to be adjusted with the droop screws... am I wrong in that assumption?

Thanks guys!
OFNA Ultra GTP-2E - Sold
Team Associated B5m
Old 08-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #1000
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

My suspension is zip tied to hold it down. Lower A-arm up to the shock towers. Works great and the car handles like hell with the stiff suspension.
CrazyERevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #1001
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Short on the front (OFN40739) Long on the rear (OFN40751).

Yeah Joat I haven't messed with the droop settings yet at all... just got the springs installed last night and didn't have a lot of time to mess with it. Was just wondering about how most of you guys using these springs are set up. I didn't think ride height was supposed to be adjusted with the droop screws... am I wrong in that assumption?

Thanks guys!
The droop screw should be used to control how much your car will rise over it's normal ride height.

0mm threw arm (Droop screw all the way up).
- This will allow the car to fully roll.
- Will give you maximum grip in slippery or poor grip conditions.

3mm front, 2mm rear start or 3mm threw arm.
- Use this on a clean parking lot or prepped track (soda pop layed down).
- This will reduce the roll in the car preventing the dreaded traction roll.

Droop is overall a good thing and will help the car grip in all situations (breaking, accelerating, and corning). It's just a matter of experimentation to get the correct amount.

Testing droop. Set your car up for 10-11mm ride height then lift one end (rear, front) up and you should get 4-6mm above ride height.

Last edited by Capt'N_Slow; 08-18-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Capt'N_Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #1002
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Take the shock off the car and adjust the droop screw so both arm a little obove horizontal in the front and horizontal in the rear.
SNR Graphite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #1003
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Not a problem bud.

You can't really beat the box stock spring to use on general parking lots or bumpy roads with a light 40-60wt oil.

At the track I found the car had to much grip and wanted to flip or lift the inside wheels in the corners so I changed to the following.

front shocks GTP2e all the way around. Yellow front (OFN40740) and Red rear (OFN40738) springs.
With the much stiffer spring I needed to go up in oil to stop the car from bouncing and not settling.

Front Oil : 80wt or 1000cst diff
Rear Oil : 50wt

Front Shock Tower (SNR Graphite) : Most vertical hole. (Outer Most)
Front Arm Location : Middle Position

Rear Shock Tower (SNR Graphite) : Most inside hole available. (Most Layed Down)
Rear Arm Location : Outer most position.

You will need to check your ride height over a couple of runs. Have found the springs sag especially the front ones.

Last edited by Capt'N_Slow; 08-18-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Capt'N_Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #1004
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyERevo View Post
My suspension is zip tied to hold it down. Lower A-arm up to the shock towers. Works great and the car handles like hell with the stiff suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'N_Slow View Post
The droop screw should be used to control how much your car will rise over it's normal ride height.

0mm threw arm (Droop screw all the way up).
- This will allow the car to fully roll.
- Will give you maximum grip in slippery or poor grip conditions.

3mm front, 2mm rear start or 3mm threw arm.
- Use this on a clean parking lot or prepped track (soda pop layed down).
- This will reduce the roll in the car preventing the dreaded traction roll.

Droop is overall a good thing and will help the car grip in all situations (breaking, accelerating, and corning). It's just a matter of experimentation to get the correct amount.

Testing droop. Set your car up for 10-11mm ride height then lift one end (rear, front) up and you should get 4-6mm above ride height.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNR Graphite View Post
Take the shock off the car and adjust the droop screw so both arm a little obove horizontal in the front and horizontal in the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'N_Slow View Post
You can't really beat the box stock spring to use on general parking lots or bumpy roads with a light 40-60wt oil.

At the track I found the car had to much grip and wanted to flip or lift the inside wheels in the corners so I changed to the following.

front shocks GTP2e all the way around. Yellow front and Red rear springs.
With the much stiffer spring I needed to go up in oil to stop the car from bouncing and not settling.

Front Oil : 80wt or 1000cst diff
Rear Oil : 50wt

Front Shock Tower (SNR Graphite) : Most vertical hole. (Outer Most)
Front Arm Location : Middle Position

Rear Shock Tower (SNR Graphite) : Most inside hole available. (Most Layed Down)
Rear Arm Location : Outer most position.

You will need to check your ride height over a couple of runs. Have found the springs sag especially the front ones.
Much appreciated! Thanks for the input guys. I'll start screwin' with it tonight when I get home.
OFNA Ultra GTP-2E - Sold
Team Associated B5m
Old 08-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #1005
Tech Apprentice

So I got home tonight and had a chance to finish up my setup. Moving the shock mount location on the front suspension arm fixed the right height problem. I moved it out to the farthest location for a little extra stiffness with the white springs. Adjusted the ride height and then the droop screws. Hooked up the sweeps. Damn... what a difference. I thought this thing handled badass before, but with the stiffer springs, some suspension adjustment, and decent tires this thing is ridiculous. Best of all I'm not grinding my bumper on the pavement every time I hit the brakes. Thanks again for the recommendations... what are you guys smart or something?! haha
OFNA Ultra GTP-2E - Sold
Team Associated B5m