R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #1936
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGRacer View Post
Thank you. I went with the Tekin T8 2650kv.

I'm not sure about batteries. What should I run for racing on a track purposes. I hear 5000 mah 4s might work?

We like the 2250T8 truggy motors best to roadrace. The 2650 will be ok just get some super fans on it and don't gear it too tall. Gear it for about 50mph top speed. Temp check every 2 minutes til you get it dialed. Ambient temp is a big factor. Don't be afraid to use punch control/current limiting and throttle expo as these beasts have lotsa torque and kinda limited on traction. Lap times are usually inversely proportional to motor torque.

Here's a good script for gearing and go for about 50mph: http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

Talking 4S lipo, mah will depend on how many minutes you race, how hard you drive, traction and the track size. We race 7 minutes on a large track with good traction. I need at least 6200mah with no warm up to make 7 minutes and I drive pretty hard. I would guess 5k mah would be good for 5 minute races. Use a C rate of at least 40.

^^^ <>< ^^^
rcwck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #1937
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwck View Post
We like the 2250T8 truggy motors best to roadrace. The 2650 will be ok just get some super fans on it and don't gear it too tall. Gear it for about 50mph top speed. Temp check every 2 minutes til you get it dialed. Ambient temp is a big factor. Don't be afraid to use punch control/current limiting and throttle expo as these beasts have lotsa torque and kinda limited on traction. Lap times are usually inversely proportional to motor torque.

Here's a good script for gearing and go for about 50mph: http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

Talking 4S lipo, mah will depend on how many minutes you race, how hard you drive, traction and the track size. We race 7 minutes on a large track with good traction. I need at least 6200mah with no warm up to make 7 minutes and I drive pretty hard. I would guess 5k mah would be good for 5 minute races. Use a C rate of at least 40.
7min on that pack looks like your buring about 42amps average

and a 5k pack could almost run 6min on the same setup... (5min 45sec)
brushless55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #1938
Tech Initiate

Oh wow, that's it? Just 6 minutes. What if I just want to bash around on the parking lot with my kids, how could I get more run time? I guess I would like my car setup to be a race/bash type of setup with different configs. Is this possible?
DGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 AM   #1939
Tech Regular

Quote:
Oh wow, that's it? Just 6 minutes. What if I just want to bash around on the parking lot with my kids, how could I get more run time? I guess I would like my car setup to be a race/bash type of setup with different configs. Is this possible?
That 5-6 minute run time is when using the max possible battery in race conditions. Playing around in a parking lot will undoubtedly increase that time. Moving around a ~9 lb car with a high KV motor is gonna use some mah.

Going to a much smaller pinion or larger mah lipos would be the easiest things to change to increase run time. Another option is to turn down the throttle end point to increase run duration. Things will actually get hotter when doing this option so be careful and monitor the temps.

^^^ <>< ^^^
Old 08-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #1940
Tech Initiate

Thanks so much, that helps a lot. Honestly, I'm gonna need help installing my motor/esc and solder everything together. I have a pretty good idea, but this is my real first electric car, used to only race nitros. I am using a stock pinion 14t and stock spur, 51t for now. I was going to go with a 5000mah, 4S battery. Wondering if that's a no no, should I get different pinion/spur for my 150amp ESC, Tekin 2650kv setup?

Also, I was looking at the Sweeps slicks or the Ipanema tires? Any recommendations for good traction on parking lots/outdoor paveway conditions?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #1941
Tech Adept

You'll be more them fine , you can even run 6 s on that if u want , but since its ur,first 4s is good , maybe grab 2 batteries , l
PRoBoaT STiLeTTo <>TRaXXaS SPaRTaN
FLoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #1942
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks so much, that helps a lot. Honestly, I'm gonna need help installing my motor/esc and solder everything together. I have a pretty good idea, but this is my real first electric car, used to only race nitros. I am using a stock pinion 14t and stock spur, 51t for now. I was going to go with a 5000mah, 4S battery. Wondering if that's a no no, should I get different pinion/spur for my 150amp ESC, Tekin 2650kv setup?

Also, I was looking at the Sweeps slicks or the Ipanema tires? Any recommendations for good traction on parking lots/outdoor paveway conditions?
Try Sweep treaded tires. EXP for more traction, but will wear more.
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #1943
Tech Regular

Quote:

That set up comes in at ~37mph and will be safe on everything. Run time will be lots longer also. Good solder joints are very important and get some help if needed.

We mostly run GRP around here. They are treaded and belted. They are rated according to track surface and not temps. They are economically priced and come in 6 compounds with "B" being very popular.

^^^ <>< ^^^
Old 08-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #1944
Tech Initiate

37 mph? Really? That's just as fast as my Associated b4 buggy! That's unacceptable. I need way more mph than 37? I'll have to get a 25t pinion, maybe go to a 49 spur?

So am I doing something wrong, but I can't install the motor because the servo is in the way? Am I supposed to remove the servo to install the motor? It sounds weird

Last edited by DGRacer; 08-29-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #1945
Tech Initiate

I got the Sweeps 55 deg Belted pre glued on Black 6 spoke! Can't wait for these tires.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #1946
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
37 mph? Really? That's just as fast as my Associated b4 buggy! That's unacceptable. I need way more mph than 37? I'll have to get a 25t pinion, maybe go to a 49 spur?

So am I doing something wrong, but I can't install the motor because the servo is in the way? Am I supposed to remove the servo to install the motor? It sounds weird
I used the RCMonster single conversion and run 20/46 on mine. Puts it in around roughly 55-60mph on 4s with my 2200kv Castle. Plenty fast for me.

** Every time see someone use their first post to necro-bump a 4 year old thread all I can think is "at least they used the search function" **
Monteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #1947
Tech Initiate

That's not bad 55-60 is more or less good for racing. Where can I buy the spur/pinion?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #1948
Tech Master

i love where im geared right now, great for bashing around parking lots etc..

Pinion will be any 5mm shaft Mod1.0 pinion.
The spur you are after is from RCmonster.
http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...version&cat=40
You are after the 8mm option in the drop down. There's a couple of options. Some guys opt for the traxxas ready one and you can run spurs from the nitro revo.
I'm running the 8mm Mod1.0 46t

** Every time see someone use their first post to necro-bump a 4 year old thread all I can think is "at least they used the search function" **
Old 08-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #1949
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monteman View Post
Has anyone found a 1 piece foam for the stock Ofna Wheels and tires?
I despise that 2 part foam to the point where i think i have about 5 or 6 sets complete and unused. Would love to find a foam that works.
Ok so i bought 3 options from SweepRacingUsa.
The plain strip center piece, and a couple different inserts.

The closed cell round inserts (softV2, Soft) leave a hollow spot in the center and the Ofna wheels is presumably narrower in the channel than the sweeps (that or the ofna glue channels are taller) so the foam rides up. Nice firm sidewall, but really hollow in the middle.

The plain strip fits nice, but it is still a bit thin and the tire while nice and tight seems a bit loose around the strip.

Based on that is there a "better" choice between the 2

Looking at a set of my Sweeps they have the softer shoulder but the wheel is firmer against the inner foam.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #1950
Tech Master

Decided to glue up a pair of each. Then try them and decide which i like better.
Then i'll buy the remaining spacers.

They fit remarkably well. Wish it hadn't taken me so long to figure these out haha.
Gone through 4 or 5 sets of Sweeps at $70 a set since i have had all these Ofna belted tires sitting here collecting dust.