R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   What to do about stripped threads in stupid plastic components? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/4357-what-do-about-stripped-threads-stupid-plastic-components.html)

Iso Octane 04-08-2002 06:35 PM

What to do about stripped threads in stupid plastic components?

Hi,

1 of the 4 screws which hold the lower FRP deck to the front gear box almost fell out after run because the thread in the plastic had been stripped!

This is complete and udderly horrible considering the car only has 5 runs on it... and it's a Tamiya for cryin' out loud. Indestructible.... whatever....:rolleyes:

So what can I do about this? Obviously I don't want to replace the part, because that could cause more threads to be stripped in other areas. Not to mention cost, etc etc.

What is up with using soft plastic anyways? Everytime you have to unscrew anything, is a risk of stripping more plastic!:mad:

ARGH!:flaming:

Thanks.

Speedo 04-08-2002 06:38 PM

Buy some steel-plastic (epoxy) at your local hardware store. Put a VERY small ammount in the stripped hole and wait for it to dry (24 hours) then you should be able to re-thread the hole. Do NOT leave the screw in there while the glue is drying, it will glue it in there hard, and you won't be able to get it out, if you try you will break the head off. I speak from personal experience :p

Speedo

Aurra Sing 04-08-2002 06:41 PM

I'm pretty sure it's how you screwed the screw in that caused it to strip, or other reasons. Because I've rebuilt my TA04R SEVERAL times (especially the gearboxes, to switch chassis' and stuff), and I haven't stripped anything yet. I've had it for about 6 months now.

Iso Octane 04-08-2002 06:49 PM

Thanks for the advice! So when applying the epoxy, do I want to fill up the whole with it, half way, or just a drop? I know you mentioned VERY small amount, but I can't image how the screw will grip onto it.:weird: And is there a specific mix of epoxy I should be looking for (I don't kno my epoxies..)?

Hi Aurra, I remember seeing you at the Granturismo Forums. It certainly could be how I screwed it in, but the screw seemed to to fit just fine, snugly and flush, with the lower deck.

The threads which hold the motor or pinion gear covers on my TA03 are both stripped....

Thanks.

Speedo 04-08-2002 07:21 PM

You just want to smear a little bit around on the threads, if you fill the hole you will have to drill it out, this is had as hell so it would take you a while.

When you re-thread the hole use a specific threading screw, these have a grove in the side to pick up the extra material.

Speedo

Speedo 04-08-2002 07:21 PM

You want a 50/50 mixture, but the way the applicator is designed makes this very easy.

Speedo

ausracer 04-08-2002 07:34 PM

in the future you should try only tightening the screw until its snug against the part no further.