Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray T3 2011

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCknight
improve handling. My only concern for Xray is that they are not making enough perceived changes for people to buy it over their T3. I want to see Xray's new car stomp brand B in sales. lol I hope the new car has some up dated shocks or at least come nice new little features. Just something for people to say, I want Xray car over another brand. I hope Xray really thinks this one out from a marketing point of view as well. Can't wait to see it.
I highly doubt Xray will have ANY problems selling their car/brand. You seem like you dont really know much about them, they have always been arguably the BEST r/c manufacturer, perceived changes or not, they wont have anything to worry about. I wanna see Xray continue to "stomp" brands b,c, and d in competition(as they always do)..
Old 09-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Drew, I understand your point, but...

if it's not broken don't fix it decision is not a good one in my opinion. The mind set of the club racer is much different. There has been an out cry from customers on the shocks, right or wrong, customers continue to complain. I for one had no issues with them, but I would prefer a standard design like AEs new shocks with clickers. I'm sure they would be difficult to produce, but as a customer I would purchase them as an option. I understand the reason why Xray hates to make the changes, or any change for that matter, but I would eat the costs now and in the long run it will be better for both. I just think if only minor changes are made to the new car, T3 owners won't make the change, Xray will lose out to AE in the low end and Tamiya in the high end. I've seen what happens to companies that try to tell their customer what's best. Again, right or wrong, fan boy or not, they will go somewhere else. Good luck, and I hope the new car is a success.

Originally Posted by Drew Ellis
The parts they sent for Paul and I to test we were able to bolt on to are T3, but I have no clue how Xray plans on doing it all. I would think that you could update your kit, but like always it seems better to just buy a new one as for getting your best bang for you buck. All your parts will still work from the T3.

Some of the chages are pretty big for Xray. As for shocks I feel that we have some of the best out there. Don't fix wants not broken.

You also have to think how many company's have touring cars these days. The pie is the same size but the pieces of the pie are smaller. At this years IIC Xray had the most cars at the race. Which I think it says alot about the support the team gives at these races. So with buying an Xray you get a great product and great support from team drivers. What other team has a driver like Paul Lemieux that will stop working on his car to help someone out with there's. I don't see guys like Marc or Hara doing things like that."Not sayong that not nice guys"
Or when you call RCAmerica you can talk with guys like Ralph Burch or get intouch with Paul or me.

So with us its more about the whole package. Were racers helping racers. I feel that is a good marketing plan.

Its the little things that makes people want to buy Xray. Right now the market is flooded with cars, and many of them are good. But its the extra things the team does that helps people make there choice.

If you are every at a race and we are there stop by and talk with us. We are the most easiest team to approch and talk with. And I am sure there are a bunch of guys that can tell you that.

Thanks Drew
Old 09-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Club racers love to customize there cars no matter what, or how good the parts that come on the car are. I know TCX people that went to Tamiya shocks. Who knows why, since they are almost the same thing. Look at the people who get anodizing done, black wiring, "Clean" wiring,

Only issue with the plastic body shocks are that they are a PITA to build compared to a Tamiya type shock. If people wanna take the time to build them, then they have no problem. But if they are like some of us, then they will use aluminum Xrays or Tamiyas. People that will buy a AE will buy a AE. Xray a Xray. Tamiya a Tamiya. Hot Bodies a Hot Bodies. It's who you race with, your local fast guy, your racing buddy, and so on. Go to a track and just watch what cars are popular. Ive seen tracks go from Hot Bodies dominant, to Top dominant, to Xray dominant in a just over a year.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Default I'm bored so I'm going to ramble on...lol

I agree Owen, I'm into marketing, and have a good feel for how people think. There will be a segment of die hard Xray customers, but my guess is that it's a small segment in a saturated market. Xray leans on the high end market and up against Tamiya. That is their main competitor. If they are going to pursue that high end market then they need to add those better perceived design features, high quality parts and charge what they do. However I do understand Xrays strategy, even if I don't agree. Just make them as options.

I think AE has hit the main market with their TC6. It's cheaper, with some nice new features that give it that quality and value feel. If they would have gone to camber links on the bulk heads and hinge pin blocks like the Tamiya, they would have won out all the way from mid to high range market, but maybe they still have done that with their Xray 008 knockoff. I'm sure they wanted to keep costs down, and give customers that Xray on a budget. lol I left the AE camp long ago, never to return. I hated that fact they tried to tell their customers what's best for them. Even though I understood it may be from a cost production stand point, in the end I resented them for it. A refusal to listen and after time I gave up. A lack of logical design changes that help us, their customers.

It was about that time, where I saw Xray make some leaps over the competition. Quality always was there, but they made things easier to work on and built a strong car. With two piece bulk heads, better covered diff design, then some light cvd axles, upper deck flex options, quick ackerman adjustment I was in the Xray camp. I'm willing to over the price when I got the designs that made sense to me. Xray has rode that quality horse for a while. At what point do you have to say, ok we going to bite that bullet and add what our competitors already put in their kit. lol I have to say the AE car is looking good for much cheaper and maybe I won't have to think about bleeding shocks. lol Just a thought. I guess we will see what Xray's decided soon enough. Until then.

Last edited by RCknight; 09-19-2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: added text.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I agree Owen, I'm into marketing, and have a good feel for how people think. There will be a segment of die hard Xray customers, but my guess is that it's a small segment in a saturated market. Xray leans on the high end market and up against Tamiya. That is their main competitor. If they are going to pursue that high end market then they need to add those better perceived design features, high quality parts and charge what they do. However I do understand Xrays strategy, even if I don't agree.
I've been running a Tamiya for 3 years now, and while I love the car, that's about it. Tamiya does almost nothing to support the US market, Tamiya USA doesn't have a team or seem to give a crap about on-road, and parts support still sucks. I found myself envious at IIC when I looked around and saw all the outstanding team support from XRay, HB, TOP, and AE. Who gives a crap about plastic shocks or some other meaningless gripe. XRay always sends drivers to the US races, and supports racing in our country. Companies like that deserve our respect.

The other thing I learned is that I could have been driving a 418 instead of a 416, and it wouldn't have made any difference. I had a great car all week, I just couldn't stop hitting the far side of the track. These cars are almost always better than we are. Buying new stuff is a lot of fun, but don't be delusional about what it'll mean on the track.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Default That's good to read, sounds like they have changed.

Two years ago from what saw and heard back at the ROAR nationals in Omaha, NE that was not the case. Xray team sat in their corner and appeared the most unapproachable and to themselves. Many said they didn't want to be bothered. Where as Corally, S.M. were helping people. That's good they changed that perception.

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I've been running a Tamiya for 3 years now, and while I love the car, that's about it. Tamiya does almost nothing to support the US market, Tamiya USA doesn't have a team or seem to give a crap about on-road, and parts support still sucks. I found myself envious at IIC when I looked around and saw all the outstanding team support from XRay, HB, TOP, and AE. Who gives a crap about plastic shocks or some other meaningless gripe. XRay always sends drivers to the US races, and supports racing in our country. Companies like that deserve our respect.

The other thing I learned is that I could have been driving a 418 instead of a 416, and it wouldn't have made any difference. I had a great car all week, I just couldn't stop hitting the far side of the track. These cars are almost always better than we are. Buying new stuff is a lot of fun, but don't be delusional about what it'll mean on the track.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I agree Owen, I'm into marketing, and have a good feel for how people think. .
Two years ago from what saw and heard back at the ROAR nationals in Omaha, NE that was not the case. Xray team sat in their corner and appeared the most unapproachable and to themselves. Many said they didn't want to be bothered. Where as Corally, S.M. were helping people. That's good they changed that perception.
hey, way to keep that finger on the pluse of whats going on.

sorry couldn't help it. flame on
Old 09-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Man thats so hard to believe! In all the years we have raced I never had any issues with the Xray guys... they were always there to help with setups or parts.. what ever you needed. Just because they were sitting in "their corner" doesnt mean anything... were are they supposed to sit except in their pits?... did you go up and talk to them or were you expecting them to come ask if you needed anything?
Paul Lemieux is the easiest to approach and most helpful pro racer I have ever seen.. period!
Old 09-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Default Yeah that didn't come from me, I never talked to them.

Originally Posted by ottoman
Man thats so hard to believe! In all the years we have raced I never had any issues with the Xray guys... they were always there to help with setups or parts.. what ever you needed. Just because they were sitting in "their corner" doesnt mean anything... were are they supposed to sit except in their pits?... did you go up and talk to them or were you expecting them to come ask if you needed anything?
Paul Lemieux is the easiest to approach and most helpful pro racer I have ever seen.. period!
I had nothing to ask them as I was just a spectator. Wanted to talk to Barry Baker as I'm a fan, but I didn't want to bother him. lol That's just what I heard was all glad I'm wrong.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lochness42
As I said before, narrow lipo only chassis, new top deck and dual bellcrank system.
Other than that I haven't seen anything different on cars of Martin and Juraj Hudy yesterday at nationals. True is that their cars did differ - slightly different positions of dual bellcrank systems and shape of top deck. But rest seemed to be the same. Maybe some small length difference here and there, but that's hard to spot by eye.
Which position was the servo in?
Old 09-20-2010, 05:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3
and the camber links?
Old 09-20-2010, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by syndr0me

Adam you know how to change that. But really great job this year at the IIC. I remember your first year at the race. What ever you are doing keep it up. Its payed off for you.. Good job.

Thanks Drew
Old 09-20-2010, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3
My servo was the same as the T3. But that does not mean thats how they will keep it.

Thanks Drew
Old 09-20-2010, 06:42 AM
Tech Master

RCknight, I was at that race pitting right next to Ralph and I remember things alot different then what you said. We helped out alot of people that week, hell I even rebuilt someone's whole car there. And we were not in the corner we were pitted right on the end. RCAmerica's goal like always since the company started was to help the customer always. That is what the company has been built off of.Maybe you should of came up and said hello. I think you would of had a different out come.

The changes Xray is making are not minor. The chassis and steering system are big changes in how the car handles. "the flex and ackerman". And I feel that we have alot of option parts out for the car. I will say something to them about the shocks, but its hard because we are not having any problems with them.

Sometime today I will go on the T3 thread and post how I build my shocks. It is really pretty simple.

Thanks Drew
Old 09-20-2010, 07:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Last edited by *gk*; 09-21-2010 at 03:06 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.