Like Tree2Likes

Xray T3 2011

Old 07-28-2011, 12:50 AM
NTS
Tech Initiate

Default Xray Gear Diff.

I built my Xray diff last night, went together really well and easily as do most things Xray.

I have currently gone for 700cst oil and will run it for the first time on Friday night (indoor carpet track and rubber tyres). I'm hoping to get a nice solid rear end to start with then I can work on adjusting feel after that.

One query I have is regarding some apparently contradictory information, the Xray instructions say lighter oil gives more rear traction and heavier more on power steering. Elsewhere I have seen people say heavier oil gives less rotation and calms the car down. If I find the car loose on corner entry do I go heavier or lighter?

Any experience greatly appreciated.

Nick
Old 07-28-2011, 12:56 AM
Tech Regular

Default Oil

I tried 700 cst on my first outing with it running on carpet with rubber tires. Personally didn't like it too much, took it out and put the ball diff back in. Have rebuilt it again using 70wt shock oil as I'm pretty certain it was too light previously. I had a gear diff in my mi4 with 80wt oil and really like it. I'm with you, I think if it's too light it makes the rear end a little too lively.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mb3195
I tried 700 cst on my first outing with it running on carpet with rubber tires. Personally didn't like it too much, took it out and put the ball diff back in. Have rebuilt it again using 70wt shock oil as I'm pretty certain it was too light previously. I had a gear diff in my mi4 with 80wt oil and really like it. I'm with you, I think if it's too light it makes the rear end a little too lively.
on medium carpet I would start with a min of 1000 cst or losi 100 wt if your using that. The higher bite the higher the oil. At my local track that is almost always high bite I wouldn't bother with less than 1500 cst, and I would likely throw the car on the track with 2000.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NTS
One query I have is regarding some apparently contradictory information, the Xray instructions say lighter oil gives more rear traction and heavier more on power steering. Elsewhere I have seen people say heavier oil gives less rotation and calms the car down. If I find the car loose on corner entry do I go heavier or lighter?
It's not really contradictory, lighter oil gives more rear grip on power but less side bite, heavier the opposite. If you are loosing the tail on the way in a heavier oil will help because the rear will not rotate as much.

As most people have said 1k oil is probably the best starting point, depending on the grip level at your track you may find 700 is too light
Old 07-28-2011, 04:19 AM
NTS
Tech Initiate

Default Xray Gear Diff.

Thank you for the responses, its starting to make more sense now. Is your experience with the Xray diff specifically or the Spec-R? I'm sure the trends will be the same although I guess there could be an offset in the weight required for a given effect due to the design differences?

Originally Posted by Mb3195
Can I also ask what brand of shock oil so I can compare to the thickness I have?

Originally Posted by rx7ttlm
on medium carpet I would start with a min of 1000 cst or losi 100 wt if your using that. The higher bite the higher the oil. At my local track that is almost always high bite I wouldn't bother with less than 1500 cst, and I would likely throw the car on the track with 2000.
I'm actually using AE Shock / Diff fluid. My "700cst" is 50wt that claims to be 650cst although I have seen it measured nearer 700cst so should be in that region. I have 1000cst and 2000cst in stock so I can experiment from there.

Originally Posted by CraigM
It's not really contradictory, lighter oil gives more rear grip on power but less side bite, heavier the opposite. If you are loosing the tail on the way in a heavier oil will help because the rear will not rotate as much.

As most people have said 1k oil is probably the best starting point, depending on the grip level at your track you may find 700 is too light
OK, I get it now. Sounds like I've started at the less conservative end. Anyway I'll give it a run on Friday and see how it goes.

Nick
Old 07-28-2011, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

My local track is a particularly high bite asphalt track and we have run 4,000-8,000 CST on hot, high bite days to get the car to rotate better.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Heavier oil has the same effect as tightening a ball diff...........a loose rear end everywhere. The thinner the oil better.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:37 AM
NTS
Tech Initiate

Default Xray Gear Diff.

Originally Posted by M-Technic
My local track is a particularly high bite asphalt track and we have run 4,000-8,000 CST on hot, high bite days to get the car to rotate better.
Originally Posted by RSCosworth
Heavier oil has the same effect as tightening a ball diff...........a loose rear end everywhere. The thinner the oil better.
Thank you for your experiences, if I understand correctly from these comments and the previous it seems there is good agreement that thicker oil will give more on power steering but slightly less concensus about corner entry. I'll try the 700cst I have in now and then perhaps try 1000cst or 2000cst to see the effect. From previous ball diff experience the car generally seems easier, less likely to oversteer on corner entry and mid corner on a slightly looser diff setting which points towards the lower weight oils. My current setup tends to give some push on power regardless. I'll confess that I don't service my ball diff nearly as often as I should which is one of the attractions of the gear diff if I can get it working well. Fingers crossed for Friday!

Nick
Old 07-29-2011, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Hi, I'm considering buying Xray shock for my next car ( T.O.P,) because I like their 4-step pistons -externally adjustable. But it seems few people still use them ? I don't know. Anyway I would like some advice before maybe spending 80 bucks.

I really love the external adjustability and I'd be ready to give up a tiny bit of performance just for how convenient they are. On my FK05 these shocks have always been a major + compared to my other cars.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

I use t3'11,i like the car,but not with the external adjustable piston,coz,somehow,it can "auto" adjust it self.when i rebuild my shocks i found all the 4 shocks has different slected piston holes.(i built it as per instruction)
Old 07-29-2011, 07:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RSCosworth
totaly agree, ran mine at maritime last night (rubber on carpet) and using losi 100w shock oil it was loose on power, went to losi 80w loads better
Old 07-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Tamiyamaniac thanks for your input...

It's never happened to me on my T1 (longer shocks though). And I just can't see how it can happen, since both ends are attached no end can rotate relatively to the other. And the droop setting would have to be pretty crazy for the piston to go that low, isn't it ?

What has happened to me before though, is to alter the setting by mistake when installing the shocks on the car. Since then I attach the upper screw of the shock, then triple check the setting by pulling the piston rod, then carefully attach the bottom screw. Very simple.

Any other opinions ? One thing I can think of, apart from the material the pistons are made of, is the tendency to emprison a bit more air bubbles. But I use a shock pump so that's not a problem either.

So I'm still left wondering why so few people use them.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Initiate

anybody has a 11' for sale pm me
Old 07-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by heretic
Hi, I'm considering buying Xray shock for my next car ( T.O.P,) because I like their 4-step pistons -externally adjustable. But it seems few people still use them ? I don't know. Anyway I would like some advice before maybe spending 80 bucks.

I really love the external adjustability and I'd be ready to give up a tiny bit of performance just for how convenient they are. On my FK05 these shocks have always been a major + compared to my other cars.
They break too easy.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

Hi Guys
Can I use T2-008-9 rear shock tower on T3 0r 11 and is the Height difference makes any negative impact on handling etc?
Cheers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.