Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray T3 2011

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Tech Adept

just out of curiosity really and because i would like to prevent the chassis from wearing out.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gav-
Yeah, ran the clamps last week... A massive improvement imo.

Gave me a LOT more grip. a big +1 from me.
What is the part number of these clamps?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TJMoore
What is the part number of these clamps?
302028-O
Old 03-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Default T1FK05

I have an old Xray T1FK'05 that a buddy gave to me. Its already built and is basically unused. Is it still race worthy (for a GT class) or should I sell it on ebay and upgrade to something newer?

I was still pondering running two cars one for 17.5 spec and another for GT 27 turn. If I get a new car it is still between a TC6 and the T3-2011.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
I believe that RC America is set to receive some in their next shipment sometime this month!
Yep!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Integra
Do you honestly think you are smarter then the engineer's who design these vehicles ?

Not tying to be an Ass, But really. Our cars are designed to " Chassis Slap " for good reasons.
yea i do. i am an engineer too and i don't see the good reason.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by M-Technic
Are you trying to eliminate chassis scrape to keep your chassis looking brand new? If so, just buy a chassis protector. If you are doing it because you think it is bad for handling, well, putting any type of limiter on the shock or otherwise will have the same effect once the limiter is hit (just the same as if the chassis hit).

I guess I don't follow what you are trying to achieve.
i will put an example scenario so you all understand why i think there is a problem.

say you are traveling on a straight line and there is a speed bump ahead vertical to road. (race tracks will not have that but it is still a viable scenario for a basher)
At this point, with the current set up of the car, the wheels will get pushed all the way up and off the ground and then the chassis will hit the bump and send the car flying.

If we are able to adjust suspension travel so that it doesn't allow the chassis to touch, then the outcome changes. At that point, the wheels will not get pushed upwards above the chassis but they will instead take the hit instead of the chassis. The wheels being made of plastic and foam are able to absorb the impact much better than the aluminium chassis. The end result will be less of a jump or no jump at all depending on the speed of the attack.
The added benefit will be no damage to the chassis (and i do not mean just scratches.)

So yes, adjusting suspension travel so that it prevents the chassis from hitting the ground is important in my book but it may not be important on a race track where such a scenario does not apply. Even so, on a track, allowing lower ride height with less suspension travel will prevent the sides of the chassis from scraping the ground at high speed cornering. Suspension travel is important in the "big world" of car racing and i don't see why it is left out in small scale racing.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by omegaf
yea i do. i am an engineer too and i don't see the good reason.
What does driving a train have to do with tc racing?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 144 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xpress
Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

So yes, adjusting suspension travel so that it prevents the chassis from hitting the ground is important in my book but it may not be important on a race track where such a scenario does not apply. Even so, on a track, allowing lower ride height with less suspension travel will prevent the sides of the chassis from scraping the ground at high speed cornering. Suspension travel is important in the "big world" of car racing and i don't see why it is left out in small scale racing.
Chassis on real race cars hit the ground too...

Attached Thumbnails Xray T3 2011-jarvis1.jpg  
Old 03-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default lol

i am an engineer too and i don't see the good reason.
lol

i got one for ya...how about you design the 2012 OmegaF edition....i'll be more than happy to see if I can get it to chassis slap.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Adept

Old 03-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Tech Adept

First of all i am not driving a train. if that's what you do for a living, that's your own problem go look at your face in the mirror and laugh but otherwise you can stick your sarcasm up your own rear. Maybe you should have considered a mechanical engineering degree like me.
Second, yes, on rare occasions the chassis can hit the ground even in real race cars. You cannot prevent it 100% of the time and there are many reasons why it can hit the ground but the general idea is to use suspension travel to prevent that.
I love how touchy some of you are on the subject. What's wrong? Someone pointed out a flaw in your precious little toy cars?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There isn't a flaw in the car. The chassis requires more travel leaning than it takes to bottom out the car when the chassis is level. There may be a place for upstops as an adjustment tool, but not just to keep the chassis from bottoming on the bench.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Adept

this is what i am trying to get my head 'round to. i know that when the chassis hits the ground at any condition, it does so at the cost of traction on the tires. so this can't be a good scenario. the side in which the chassis hits the ground loses weight off the wheels so traction is reduced. considering that this will happen on the outside side of a corner, losing traction on the outside tires will just make you slide a little bit.
i know that you cannot avoid it all the time. i know that it happens in real race cars. there are many factors that cause it and altering the setup so that it never happens can have adverse effects on other things.
i am merely asking if there is a known way to control suspension travel. using shims on the dampers is a solution that i like but is there something else like adjustable suspension arms?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.