Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What would you like in the NEW Xray car? >

What would you like in the NEW Xray car?

What would you like in the NEW Xray car?

Old 09-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default What would you like in the NEW Xray car?

There is a topic started in the Xray home page forums about what they would like to see. Just wondered what people here would like changed. There's so much competition in the TC market right now. This is the place to talk about it.

I would like to see the following;
1.Teflon coated shock bodies.
2.camber links on the bulkheads
3.Go to the current trent of hingepin blocks
4.lipo chassis
5.titanium tierods
6.stronger motor mount
7.no chassis braces on the Europ edition. Flex determined by the thickness, size, shape of the upper deck.
8.ball cups with molded holes in the top of the them
9.aluminum bell crank
10.aluminum server horn.
11. ceramic diff balls
Old 09-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCknight
There is a topic started in the Xray home page forums about what they would like to see. Just wondered what people here would like changed. There's so much competition in the TC market right now. This is the place to talk about it.

4.lipo chassis
5.titanium tierods
6.stronger motor mount
7.no chassis braces on the Europ edition. Flex determined by the thickness, size, shape of the upper deck.
9.aluminum bell crank
10.aluminum server horn.
11. ceramic diff balls
Bro, you're asking Xray to copy the TRF416 design.
Just wait for the 417 instead, it has a better bell crank engineering.
What I hate about xray TC are:
-Mono steering bellcrank
-Servo position
-Servo saver
-Suspension holders
-Battery holder not included

To better improve their TC, they should ask the current world champion to
drive the T3 and get feedbacks from him what needs improvement.
I have a T2 2009, for me it's a solid car, minimal to zero slop. But maybe
that's the problem, it's too solid. Out of the box, my T2 2009 is easier to
drive compared to my TC5R which took great amount of set up
experimentations. But if you drive both cars aggressively, the TC5 yeilds
better results. Dont know why.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:34 AM
Tech Elite

Default Yeah your right, but Xray need to go that direction...

if they want to keep customers. I don't care if they copy them or not. Xray quality fit/finish made me a customer. I have also have a lot of Xray parts so I want to stay Xray, but the 417 is looking good. lol I've never tried a Tamiya, but I love Xray diffs/cvds. lol If they could just put out some nice designed Teflon shock bodies, camber links on the bulk heads, go to shims on the toe blocks they would have a hot TC.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

All bulkheads black hard-anodised , instead of that hideous orange
Old 09-13-2010, 02:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 147 (99%+)

Originally Posted by fleetmaster
All bulkheads black hard-anodised , instead of that hideous orange
+1
Old 09-13-2010, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

4.lipo chassis
5.titanium tierods
6.stronger motor mount
9.aluminum bell crank
10.aluminum server horn.
11. ceramic diff balls
Now justify all your reasons behind those requirements!
Old 09-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

4.lipo chassis
5.titanium tierods
6.stronger motor mount
9.aluminum bell crank
10.aluminum server horn.
11. ceramic diff balls
1. Xray quality fit/finish made me a customer.
2. I have also have a lot of Xray parts so I want to stay Xray, but the 417 is looking good. lol I've never tried a Tamiya,
3. but I love Xray diffs/cvds.
You have several other posts wishing the XRAY T3 to be more like the Tamiya. Your idea number 3 is a bad idea and will never happen:
3.Go to the current trend of hingepin blocks
Most of your other 10 ideas are mostly cosmetic and translate little to increasing existing performance vs cost. If so, XRAY would have done it already.

The current method that XRAY mounts their arms to set toe and track is far better than Tamiya's use of individual blocks. The block method is more expensive because a pro racer will end up with at least 20 blocks per car. Plus the blocks are easy to bend and unable to fine adjust.

When a car toe is off by 1/2 degree L-R, changing blocks or replacing the chassis is the only solution. At a race after a crash, there is no time for this. With an XRAY, easy to find shims is all that is needed to fine tune and adjust suspension settings.

We had both the Tamiya 416 and XRAY 008 at the same time. Both cars perform near identical back to back. The XRAY 008 cost less to operate and was easier and faster to set up. Plus the XRAY was 100% more durable and maintained its tweak longer. XRAY tested the double bellcrank and gave it to several team drivers. They preferred the existing system for feel.

We got rid of the Tamiya and stop racing TCS because parts support from TamiyaUSA was not only terrible but non existent. All of our local hobby shops have XRAY parts in stock for a racer to get through the day.

The XRAY T3 is a great car. XRAY was one of a few cars that required no new model to perform well at the recent Worlds event. A 100% LiPo chassis without the legacy NiMh cell holes is probably the only change for 2010.

It would be easier on all us XRAY users if you tried out the Tamiya. Tamiya would only have to change 3 things vs XRAY changing 11 according to your wish list.

There is a lot of other chassis threads that all refer to XRAY for design, parts, quality, cost, etc. Almost in every page is some reference to a work around where they had to use an XRAY part or part from a Hong Kong 3rd part supplier. It is difficult to find a post in any of the XRAY threads where a XRAY racer needed to use a Tamiya part.

An XRAY T3 is probably the only car kit out there that you can take straight from the box, build it and go straight to a National race without buying hop-ups, retrofitting, filing, sanding, dremeling, or adding 3rd party parts.

Last edited by TeamB&B; 09-13-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Now justify all your reasons behind those requirements!
+1

And explain how these requirements will make you win more races.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You guys are tough on RCKnight

The thread is "What would you like in the NEW Xray car?"...not " I think the Xray needs improvements".

All the things listed are personal preferences. And all of them are good things to want, if that's what you like. I wanted all of those things too and I now drive a 416X w/lipo chassis. I've driven a TC5, Xray 008, Top Photon, Phi '09 and now 416X because I preferred many of those attributes. I think RCKnight wants to stay loyal to Xray but likes some things he sees on other cars. Nothings wrong with that...

(P.S. I must say the 008 was probably the best car I've owned.)
Old 09-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Airflow
you're asking Xray to copy the TRF416 design.
Hold up a T3 chassis plate to a 416 chassis plate. See what screw holes do or don't line up. Very close to being a clone already.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Default Thanks PitNamedGordie...and I loved my 008 as well. lol

I like to talk design, but some people will jump all over you for it. I'm just an average racer. None of those design features will help me win a race. lol It's personal preference and that's what this thread was all about. I'm just curious as to what people prefer in a TC. I like many of the features on the 416x. And your right I want to stay loyal to Xray. Who knows maybe I'll try a 417, but I'm willing to see what Xray does with the new car.

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
You guys are tough on RCKnight

The thread is "What would you like in the NEW Xray car?"...not " I think the Xray needs improvements".

All the things listed are personal preferences. And all of them are good things to want, if that's what you like. I wanted all of those things too and I now drive a 416X w/lipo chassis. I've driven a TC5, Xray 008, Top Photon, Phi '09 and now 416X because I preferred many of those attributes. I think RCKnight wants to stay loyal to Xray but likes some things he sees on other cars. Nothings wrong with that...

(P.S. I must say the 008 was probably the best car I've owned.)
Old 09-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Default Right right they may be cosmetic but...

Xray has to decide if they are going to lose sales over it? The perception that 416 won the worlds has a lot to do with how Xray should think about marketing. As for costs vs. performance if Tamiya can do it in a $500 kit then I'm sure Xray can as well. I'm willing to buy a few toe blocks, and why would you need to buy 20 of them? It seems like less parts count to me. I never thought changing the current system was easier than my old TC4 blocks. No way buddy. Shim system was easier in my opinion. Why do you have to replace the toe block or chassis? Just swap out the inner hinge pin ball or replace the hinge pin? Jeesh. Chassis?

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
You have several other posts wishing the XRAY T3 to be more like the Tamiya. Your idea number 3 is a bad idea and will never happen:
3.Go to the current trend of hingepin blocks
Most of your other 10 ideas are mostly cosmetic and translate little to increasing existing performance vs cost.

Last edited by RCknight; 09-13-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A retail price under $400 and less expensive spare parts.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

How about one made for oval, and affordable?
Old 09-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I wish xray or any brand would offer or design something to cover and
protect the drivetrain from debris. Even if it is made in lexan material.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.