Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
new traxxas car!!!!!!! >

new traxxas car!!!!!!!

new traxxas car!!!!!!!

Old 10-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default new traxxas car!!!!!!!

its a brush-less rally like the lose check it anyone looking to get one?? http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...7_features.htm
Old 10-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Is this on-road's Slash?
Old 10-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

not intirly sure because i only own a rustler and a jato hece the name but the layout is similar
Old 10-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

Says it has REVO type suspension so i'm guessing it's a on-road version of the 1/16 Slash VXL 4WD.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was excited until...

1/16th scale
Oh well.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Is this on-road's Slash?
Would it be a bad thing to have a mass marketed, mass appeal "car for the masses" that would bring fresh blood to the road side of the hobby?

You can't argue what the slash did for off road turnout (as bad as that truck is).

Out of all of the hobby grade companies, Traxxas does the best job of marketing itself outside the world of RC hobbies. So possibly where the others have had limited success (in comparison), could Traxxas have it right?
Old 10-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I think it's a great thing. In fact, anything that can help inject new blood into the on-road segment of R/C is a great thing. If a spec class takes off from this, it could build similar momentum as it did with the Slash in off-road. The chassis underneath it is not a bad one that lend itself to a variety of surface to be run on (since it has enclosed drivetrain and enough ground clearance for rough parking lots...etc.) Really the only bad thing about this could be the body...but I don't think it'll be long for aftermarket guys to come out with better looking body to go on it (or maybe existing bodies from Tamiya or HPI would work...)

Hopefully, this could be the first step in revival of on-road...

Steve
Old 10-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Tech Master

I know after the success of the Slash, a lot of the R/C world seems to have put their eggs in the Traxxas basket for reinvigorating on-road with a spec class...but I don't think this is gonna do it. Rally racing is not heads-up racing, so...kinda doesn't lend itself to our purposes. Rally fans probably also don't want to race on a traditional on-road, high traction surface. It's also a mini, which I think limits its appeal to those who'd be interested in racing R/C cars.

The second I saw the Slash, I said "This is going to be huge." Seeing this product didn't excite me at all and I don't expect to see long, flowing multi-surface tracks springing up to support rally cross. It'll find the same kind of niche audience as the new HPI Mini-Trophy, I expect.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kdeselms
I know after the success of the Slash, a lot of the R/C world seems to have put their eggs in the Traxxas basket for reinvigorating on-road with a spec class...but I don't think this is gonna do it. Rally racing is not heads-up racing, so...kinda doesn't lend itself to our purposes. Rally fans probably also don't want to race on a traditional on-road, high traction surface. It's also a mini, which I think limits its appeal to those who'd be interested in racing R/C cars.

The second I saw the Slash, I said "This is going to be huge." Seeing this product didn't excite me at all and I don't expect to see long, flowing multi-surface tracks springing up to support rally cross.
I have to agree that Rally racing is probably not going to be the "title" that this vehicle is going to score a home run in. What I'm interested to see is if 3-4 guys pick up one of these and get together and race them in their own class at a local parking lot race or track. If some rules are put in place prior to the "potential" class taking off, it could foster good growth for the on-road segment.

You get one, I get one, and we can meet up at West Coast and race them

Steve
Old 10-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Tech Master

...........and who knows...maybe there's a 1/10th version just waiting around the corner from Traxxas

Steve
Old 10-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

LOL...I already spent too much money on my TA05 V2 and this darn F104, I can't buy another car! You should just get yourself a decent 4wd touring car (if you don't have one already) and come race the Super GT class on Tuesday nights. It's growing and it's awesome.

Last edited by kdeselms; 10-04-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kdeselms
LOL...I already spent too much money on my TA05 V2 and this darn F104, I can't buy another car!
That's what I keep telling my self but somehow, my collection keeps growing.

We have a 1/16th slash class at our carpet track. It's a box stock class except you are allowed to use your own radio equipment and you can do some work on the shocks to essentially do what Traxxas has done with this car. Last year, the class was the most popular one we had. People would walk into the hobby shop and see a race going on in the back. They would walk back to the track to check it out and a half hour later, they would be back there with a new slash, charging the batteries, getting ready to race.

Our racers are excited by this new car. We are talking about making some smallish jumps and bumps to make it a little different than just another touring car class. The guys that already own slashes are figuring out what parts they need to convert it to this rally version. We have a novice class for kids and these are perfect for that. They are indestructible! It may be different where you live but at our track, this is going to be huge.

My only complaint is that you can't buy a "bind and drive" version. I really don't need another crap radio system laying around.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Its almost as wide as a TC (its 185mm), but its much shorter, even shorter than a Tamiya Mini, so can't mix in with the current touring cars out there.

If thats a good or bad thing, time will tell. On one hand, it'll be easy to spec-race them (kit tyres, springs, ESC/motor etc. Mod class can run 2 battery packs, stock runs one), but does on-road need ANOTHER class to dliute the scene? Or will they pull in the basher/off-road guy back to on-road?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:07 AM
Tech Regular

I'm guessing here but I think it's safe to say that we have about 30% more racers at our track just because of the 1/16th slash class last year. They started with a RTR box stock class because it was easy to get started and it was cheap. They have since expanded into the various other classes we have. That hardly sounds like diluting to me.

It also was a huge money maker for the hobby shop. I'll bet they sold more of these than all the other "race" cars combined. That helps ensure that our track will continue to exist.

I don't have one of these and I don't run in this class. However, I sure do like what it has done for our track. I think the new Rally car will just add to this positive influence.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I think we all know that isn't a true "Rally" car. It just has a higher ride height and maybe more suspension travel for those rough parking lots out there.

It will be interesting if this car takes off like the Slash did. I can see smaller tracks, indoor or outdoor, hosting some great racing for this car. I think this car may get a little lost on the larger tracks.

However, maybe that's a good thing. Everyone complains now about stock TC being too fast for newbies. Let's also compare the cost of getting into TC compared to people buying one of these and racing it hours later.

Traxxas finally got the RTR aspect correct though with 2.4ghz transmitter and brushless motor. Even the ESC is lipo compatible!

Very interesting.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.