R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Has anyone tried fountain syrup? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/43373-has-anyone-tried-fountain-syrup.html)

BigDogRacing 06-21-2004 08:48 PM

Has anyone tried fountain syrup?

I realize that the reason root beer or whatever cola product works better than just sugar water is because it dries to a sticky syrup instead of drying to crystalized granules, but has anyone ever just gotten a bag of the syrup for a fountain drink machine, mixed it with some water and sprayed it out of a sprayer? From my experience a regular sprayer doesn't work well with sodas because of the carbonation.

Thanks for the info...

b4racer 06-21-2004 08:52 PM

I don't think you can buy the actual syrup with out being a resturant or some sort like that... but you could probally take some drinks and let them sit out for a little bit till they get flat...

R/C HEAT 06-21-2004 09:27 PM

We tried it here in Southern California. It worked great in the cooler months. I would not use it though if track temp gets to high. We hit a track temp of 160+ and the traction was gone. The syrup melts and the tackiness is gone!!!!

We were able to use a regular Hutson Sprayer with no problems.

losispeed 06-21-2004 09:41 PM

Im pretty sure we used that one time. It worked great during the day but as soon as night time rolled around it started sticking to the tires and resulted in zero traction.. It was a pain...

racenut123 06-21-2004 09:42 PM

What do you guys use in the heat RCHeat?

R/C HEAT 06-21-2004 09:50 PM

We used everything from grape soda, snow cone syrup to VHT. It was a constant fight to get traction at one of our locations. We found out the asphalt was just to old and no matter how good we cleaned or sprayed, after about 25 minutes of racing a black dust would appear. It was the asphalt breaking up.

Our other location needs no treatment, we are lucky to have school grade (name) asphalt that provides the best consistant traction.

If you have to spray, I would reccomend what we call the Fred Hubbard mix, Grape Soda and Grape Snow Cone Syrup, it is sticky as hell!

R/C HEAT 06-21-2004 09:52 PM

Originally posted by racenut123
What do you guys use in the heat RCHeat?
Sorry, didnt read it right, the best thing to use in the high temps is VHT, you can cutt it with Methonal to make more.

rocketron 06-22-2004 12:13 AM

Originally posted by R/C HEAT
Sorry, didnt read it right, the best thing to use in the high temps is VHT, you can cutt it with Methonal to make more.
actually thin the VHT with either gasoline or disel fuel... these do not evaporate so qucikly and it will allow the sprayer to spray rather than spit :lol:

THIS IS EXTREMELY FLAMABLE THOUGH while spraying :eek: :nod:

At Tamiya they have found PANCAKE Surup works great and it smells good in the morning too :D

BigDogRacing 06-22-2004 07:33 AM

LOL- thanks for the tips. And the jokes...:D

BTW- I come from drag racing, and you need to be cutting your VHT with mineral spirits. Regular old paint thinner grade mineral spirits. You should also clean your sprayers ASAP with mineral spirits after spraying. Anything else will either be too dangerous or ruin the composition of the VHT.

Racer_Chick 06-22-2004 07:46 AM

At my local track they spray it down with a mixture of sugar water and mountain dew and it works good.

Tim Stamper 06-22-2004 09:07 AM

Originally posted by b4racer
I don't think you can buy the actual syrup with out being a resturant or some sort like that... but you could probally take some drinks and let them sit out for a little bit till they get flat...
I checked a couple of years ago here in the Detroit area and there is a distributer that sells faygo syrup and they will sell direct to anyone. It was $28 for four 5 gallon containers of syrup. The syrup was a 20 to 1 concentrate. Do the math and that's a lot of pop. The club turned it down because it was too much to store. It is available, and I like the grape syrup because of the smell. It attracts bees like crazy though.

Tim

The Black Kat 06-22-2004 11:11 AM

Don't use a sprayer....Do it NorCal style

Poke a hole in the bottom of the bottle. Faster, cheaper and works :nod:

Matt Howard 06-22-2004 11:55 AM

Originally posted by The Black Kat
Don't use a sprayer....Do it NorCal style

Poke a hole in the bottom of the bottle. Faster, cheaper and works :nod:

That's not Norcal style, that's ghetto style. You get big puddles in some spots and no traction in the others.

The Black Kat 06-22-2004 12:10 PM

Well, not if you do it right. You don't just set the bottle down and walk away like a numbnuts...lol

teamgreen 06-22-2004 05:05 PM

I use to work at Pepsi Cola. Anyway's the stickiest drink out there is Hawaiian Punch. When that stuff use to spill in the warehouse it would take your boot right off your foot. I don't know how good it would work on a track Because my local tracks use VHT and Rootbeer.