Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Have you tried looking at your wheelbase/ackerman settings? It looks like it starts to happen as the ackerman effect comes in.

I can't quite see in the video what spacers you are running so not sure if that might be anything to do with it?

Other than that I'm stumped.

Ade
Old 10-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nilks
Thanks for your reply, Elliott.

I have uploaded two new videos, but I didn't manage to do one with the car on the track. The problem started between two heats, and last year's indoor season and this year's outdoor season I had no such problem. My 4th battery of this indoor season, it started with this.

does it also happen with your wheels off?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TryHard
Some chatter will be there at full lock for sure... but given from the list of what you've changed so far (i.e. everything!) to solve it, can only reason that that is the problem.

When you say you turned the steering down, was it on the bench? or on the track?

The rims themself are round yes? Have you tried a newer set of tyres since it occured, can't remember if you mentioned it or not. I mean, if you are running on carpet, tyres tend to last a while... so could simply be them out of balance. Otherwise running out of ideas!

HiH
Ed
The steering was turned down on the bench. I can try to turn down the steering and try the car on the track the next time I am at the track.

The rims are not perfectly round, no, but I have tried with a completely new set of tires and a set of Sorex tires, and the problem is there with all of them.

Originally Posted by ade_7
Have you tried looking at your wheelbase/ackerman settings? It looks like it starts to happen as the ackerman effect comes in.

I can't quite see in the video what spacers you are running so not sure if that might be anything to do with it?

Other than that I'm stumped.

Ade
I am running kit setup on that matter, but I can try to play around with that the next time at the track.

Originally Posted by Minami
does it also happen with your wheels off?
It's hard to tell. I think I can hear it without the wheels, and the wheels then increases the "problem". But honestly I am not sure.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Bony85
Elliott

Do you know what length shafts the arrowmax are equivalent too when built, I'm guessing 44mm?

Also do you know any shops in the uk who are selling these?

Mark
Hi Mark,
Hope you are ok?
I think the arrowmax driveshafts are 43mm... it is a little shorter but I dont think this makes much difference

Im not sure where you can get them in this country im afraid

Elliott
Old 10-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Tech Initiate

double post
Old 10-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It's hard to tell. I think I can hear it without the wheels, and the wheels then increases the "problem". But honestly I am not sure.
gave you a pm man. i hope you get this all sorted out
Old 10-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The steering was turned down on the bench. I can try to turn down the steering and try the car on the track the next time I am at the track.

The rims are not perfectly round, no, but I have tried with a completely new set of tires and a set of Sorex tires, and the problem is there with all of them.

I am running kit setup on that matter, but I can try to play around with that the next time at the track.

Ok, try turning the steering down a little on the track, see if it helps.
I know I have some chatter on the bench when I rev my car up at full lock, but isn't noticeable on the track. Turning it down on the bench is always a little bit of an issue, as the car has no load, so is easier to create any noise.

Haven't happened to change anything else in your steering setup recently, servo, horn etc, that may have increased the lock your using?

Bolting the wheels on will for sure make the issue more apparent, due to having to turn a much larger weight, and especially if they are out of balance!

Regards
Ed
Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TryHard
Ok, try turning the steering down a little on the track, see if it helps.
I know I have some chatter on the bench when I rev my car up at full lock, but isn't noticeable on the track. Turning it down on the bench is always a little bit of an issue, as the car has no load, so is easier to create any noise.

Haven't happened to change anything else in your steering setup recently, servo, horn etc, that may have increased the lock your using?

Bolting the wheels on will for sure make the issue more apparent, due to having to turn a much larger weight, and especially if they are out of balance!

Regards
Ed
Well, I switched back to carpet setup (from my asphalt setup) for the indoor season, and renovated the car (new bearings and the like) and four batteries later, it started. It shouldn't be the setup, as I have used that before, but it might have happened during the renovation of the car.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well, I switched back to carpet setup (from my asphalt setup) for the indoor season, and renovated the car (new bearings and the like) and four batteries later, it started. It shouldn't be the setup, as I have used that before, but it might have happened during the renovation of the car.
Id have another good look at the car, might be somthing silly like bulkheads wrong way round or tweaked.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Any hard hits in these recent packs? As you said it got worse after 4 runs!!!

Have you checked the spool cups?

A groove in the spool cups can make the chatter worse as the uni will run in the groove of the cups...
Old 10-25-2011, 05:26 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bjspinner
Any hard hits in these recent packs? As you said it got worse after 4 runs!!!

Have you checked the spool cups?

A groove in the spool cups can make the chatter worse as the uni will run in the groove of the cups...
No hard hits - only barely touched the curb on the inside of the corner a couple of times, but not anything worse than that. The problem wasn't there at all before the 4th run. I have changed the spool cups and even tried a gear-diff.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I looked at the arrow max drive shafts and they look the same as the spec-r shafts. Does anyone have any feedback on these.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Just a thought here, if there is a grinding sound, as you clearly have, something has to be grinding. The should be some sign of wear... Anno wearing off, plastic parts shaving, small bits of metal, somewhere.

I am late to this discussion, but have you swapped out the front CVD's maybe with some from another racer at your track. So you can take your parts out of the equation. Try shorter CVD's just to see if that helps..Maybe pop the shocks off, and run the suspension through it's full stroke,without turning the wheels.. does that cause the chatter too ? Maybe pop the steering linkage off and try steering it manually. Just isolate it down to the smallest denominators.

No hard hits - only barely touched the curb on the inside of the corner a couple of times, but not anything worse than that. The problem wasn't there at all before the 4th run. I have changed the spool cups and even tried a gear-diff.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Need a car to start racing

Should I get the 417 now or wait for the 417X? I will be racing indoor asphalt and carpet. Need a good all around car but not sure if the new chassis will help or impair me.

What should I do?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racing4Evo
Should I get the 417 now or wait for the 417X? I will be racing indoor asphalt and carpet. Need a good all around car but not sure if the new chassis will help or impair me.

What should I do?
You are probably going to get a lot of different opinions on this, but depending on the grip level of the carpet track vs the asphalt track and which one you will be racing more on will be the factor.

A lot of time racing on high grip carpet vs asphalt I'd stick w/ the 417. The deep cut outs in the chassis are going to keep me from upgrading mine to an X version since I race on the rug. It just seems like it would flex too much.

If your going to spend more time on asphalt go with the 417X.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.