Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Hy there!

Anybody know how much teeth the 417 rear belt have?

THX in Advance,

Rainer
Old 02-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Still can't beat Ronald, even without Umino there.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Still can't beat Ronald, even without Umino there.
I think it has more to do with the lack of Jilles Groskamp for Team TRF.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Nilks
I think it has more to do with the lack of Jilles Groskamp for Team TRF.
I agree! I told Jilles as much at Snowbirds. In looking at the pictures, it doesn't look like they're trying the stuff Jilles came up with at 'Birds.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Tech Rookie

hi there,
i ordered a trf417, just wondering does it come with a gear diff or a spool?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the ruppers
hi there,
i ordered a trf417, just wondering does it come with a gear diff or a spool?
I don't have one, but if it's like my 416x...

Spool - Yes
gear diff - No

Last edited by Geppetto; 02-13-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Blueman Austria
Hy there!

Anybody know how much teeth the 417 rear belt have?

THX in Advance,

Rainer
Old 02-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Lord

The 417 (outside of Japan) comes with a spool up front and a new ball diff in the rear. The new ball diff has hubs that fill the entire pulley, presumably to keep out dirt, and uses D-rings that lock on to the hubs. It also comes with a new thrust (not caged, 201 style) t-nut and diff screw.

I believe the Japan version comes with a one-way up front rather than a spool. The Tamiya gear diff is just a Spec-R with a Tamiya header card (and price), so I'd get the Spec-R version for cheaper. It sounds like maybe Tamiya is working on their own.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The 417 (outside of Japan) comes with a spool up front and a new ball diff in the rear. The new ball diff has hubs that fill the entire pulley, presumably to keep out dirt, and uses D-rings that lock on to the hubs. It also comes with a new thrust (not caged, 201 style) t-nut and diff screw.

I believe the Japan version comes with a one-way up front rather than a spool. The Tamiya gear diff is just a Spec-R with a Tamiya header card (and price), so I'd get the Spec-R version for cheaper. It sounds like maybe Tamiya is working on their own.
i hope the new tamiya one is stronger then the one Marc was running tody

unlucky marc , but a great result for Ronald and Andy moore
Old 02-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I agree! I told Jilles as much at Snowbirds. In looking at the pictures, it doesn't look like they're trying the stuff Jilles came up with at 'Birds.
+1 Jilles set up from the birds worked extremely well yesterday at our ROAR Regionals. Only thing that was changed on my car was I had 500K up front. If I had 300K I would have tried it as I needed a touch more steering! But in the end my car was more consistent then anything I raced other then a WGT car on carpet! This was in Mod. With my first two runs every on the car in the morning practice I was extremely pleased with the car. Quilified 2nd behind Travis "Peeler" Schreven and took first in the main.

Look forward to getting this thing on the track again very soon!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

Hello,

Today I ran my TRF417 for the first time ( same as crabboy ), I must say that compared to my HB cyclone, it is MUCH nicer to drive and also easier to drive with a standar/comon setup.
Grip wise was very good, I had a tiny bit of traction rolling at the end of the last race but on the previous races, grip was very good.
My main problem was mid-corner steering... Initial steering was fine, exit was good but mid-corner steering was lacking. I had to slow down more to get the car around the curve. On-power mid corner steering was ok, but off power ( mainly during a hairpin ), mid-corner steering was missing.

-My question : how could I increase mid corner steering ?
-Side question : What is the difference between longer/shorter camber links ?
-Final question : Why are their more people using anti-dive in front these days ? What does it do ?

Thank you very much

Anyone please ?
Old 02-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyclone speed
Hello,

Today I ran my TRF417 for the first time ( same as crabboy ), I must say that compared to my HB cyclone, it is MUCH nicer to drive and also easier to drive with a standar/comon setup.
Grip wise was very good, I had a tiny bit of traction rolling at the end of the last race but on the previous races, grip was very good.
My main problem was mid-corner steering... Initial steering was fine, exit was good but mid-corner steering was lacking. I had to slow down more to get the car around the curve. On-power mid corner steering was ok, but off power ( mainly during a hairpin ), mid-corner steering was missing.

-My question : how could I increase mid corner steering ?
-Side question : What is the difference between longer/shorter camber links ?
-Final question : Why are their more people using anti-dive in front these days ? What does it do ?

Thank you very much

Anyone please ?
Hi,

Anti-dive makes the car react faster of center. I prefer a little to make the car not feel lazy. Never tried 1mm but have used .5 almost all the time.

I've found that raking the car (Rear ride hight higher then front) can help mid out steering. Ackerman plays a large part in your steering as well. Trying shimming your inner steering link balls on the steering in and out to see what you like. Body and wing position make a difference as well. On a Speed 6 a wing more forward gives you more high speed steering.

Shorter camber links give you more camber gain and longer camber lings give you less camber gain.

Hope thats right!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Tech Initiate

According to the manual setup of Hudy, Anti-dive is to lift the front of the lower arm (ex:1mm on FrontFront c block and 0.5mm on FrontRear c block), it is seen as positive Anti-dive, and this is what increases steering response.

Is not that right?
Old 02-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Tech Lord

I'm never sure what I'm feeling with anti-dive. I think mostly I feel the reduction in caster. I tend to go between running flat and .5.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i found Anti dive great on my TRF416 but on the T3 i am now running it doesnt give me the same feelin , the car is really wierd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.