Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I have the hard raceberry chassis, anyone interested in trading it for the soft version of the raceberry chassis? Mine has one race day on it. PM me if interested!
Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by theagentorange
so where can you buy lower shock towers for the 417? i see raceberry makes them, but they dont seem to be for sale
On their facebook page Raceberry anounced Tonisport as their distributor. So I think Toni should be the right guy to ask...

Christian
Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

Default Raceberry Mod V2

Last weekend I raced at TCM (German Touring Car Masters) and while I couldn't really score there, I made some new friends, met people I had only known online before, did a lot of screwing around (in verbatim sense) and had some serious fun. Among others I met Dai Sakaguchi and Ronald Völker, who turned out not only to be extremely cool (watch him racing...), but also an explicitely nice and openminded guy.

When I showed my little belt tensioner / battery post mod to Dai - who also had a Raceberry Tamiya based on the 417X like me -, he soon came up with some ideas to improve it. So here we go, *** Raceberry mod V2 ***...

First, Dai found that there's a screwhole at the Yokomo motor arm that just seemed to fit for a belt tensioner. Also there's another screwhole at the servomount, which can be used for a second battery guide, so the battery is better held in place. A nice sideeffect of using the belt tensioner hole at the motor arm is, that the belt doesn't run as steep as with my first mod. So this eliminates the need to put shims under the steering assembly, which had some adverse effects on steering when the car leans to the outside of a corner. Instead the steering assembly can be put back directly onto the chassis, we just dremeled some material away from the bottom of the steering arm to have enough clearance for the belt.
Tamiya TRF417-rbmodv2_belttensioner.jpg
Tamiya TRF417-rbmodv2_batteryguide.jpg
Tamiya TRF417-rbmodv2_steeringarm.jpg
When I discussed with Dai my uneasiness about having so many shims around the bulkheads (0.5mm under and 2mm above), he agreed that it would be desireable to have the bulkheads directly on the chassis again. He also thought that would make the car less prone to tweaking and he preferred a low center of gravity and low diffs anyway.

We tried the low COG at the race by putting the 0.5mm shims from under bulkheads on top instead and found the car to be a lot calmer and more controllable at once. It has to be said though that this was on high grip carpet. On low grip asphalt this might be a completely different story.

Anyway, we still both desired to eliminate as many shims as possible. So Dais final solution was to take away 2.5mm of material from the top of the motor arm and some material from the top of the spur gear holder (just enough for it not to touch the top deck) and mount the top deck directly on the bulkheads.

I found that a little too radical for my taste. Also, with the top deck coming down 2.5mm, there's less space for the pinion and the motor will touch the top deck earlier when being mounted in a back position. This both leads to less variability of spur / pinion combinations or less possible FDRs with the same spur. Also I guess thet the flex characteristics of the whole car may be altered in a measureable extent by reducing the height of the top deck by around 10% (from 28.5mm to 26mm).

So my light version of this mod goes like that: I removed 0.5mm from the top of the motor arm and replaced the 2mm shims under the top deck by 2mm thick pieces of carbon that I took from an old, broken top deck which just happened to fit my needs. I glued those pieces to the bottom of the Raceberry top deck and redrilled the holes, to regain that little amount of play that allows for detweaking the chassis. By glueing the carbon under the top deck, I hope to eliminate one place where the chassis can be tweaked.
Tamiya TRF417-rbmodv2_motormount.jpg
Tamiya TRF417-rbmodv2_topdeck.jpg
Comments are welcome as always,

Christian

Last edited by skyball; 04-30-2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: corrected writing errors
Old 04-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hello,

just finished building the 2.5mm lowered topdeck on my 417. Looks good so far. If it will really work I will see in 1.5 weeks on the Xray Challenge in Kirchhain (not only Xray cars will race there). One week later there will be the ETS in Apeldoorn.

Like Chris is writing: The original Raceberry mod is very prone for tweak. On the TCM carpet I raced the Raceberry from the beginning (so no chance to countertest the Smokem MX/FX).

Now I have to order a lot of 116T Spurs (seems to be the perfect one for Raceberry Modified racing).
Old 04-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

so where can you buy lower shock towers for the 417? i see raceberry makes them, but they dont seem to be for sale
We're offering Low Profile shocktowers for the TRF417 chassis.

Our shocktowers are designed to enable the use of LP shocks but retain full length springs. During testing it was very clear the full length springs are superior to the short springs and thus we designed our shocktowers to enable the use of both type of springs.

The shocktowers are currently in stock and sold through the following site:

http://www.capricornrc.nl/dsmotorsport/shocktowers
Old 04-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Tech Adept

nvm

Last edited by theagentorange; 04-30-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport

Our shocktowers are designed to enable the use of LP shocks but retain full length springs. During testing it was very clear the full length springs are superior to the short springs and thus we designed our shocktowers to enable the use of both type of springs.

so trf mini shocks would work fine with these towers and the tamiya tc springs i'm currently using?
Old 04-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

the fans i see some people mounting behind there motors, whats size are they? any recommendations?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

the fans i see some people mounting behind there motors, whats size are they? any recommendations?
Usually 30x30mm (ROAR limit). Yeah Racing makes a solid one. There's also an entire "Best and strongest cooling fan" thread in this forum.

-Mike
Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Is anyone running the v5 on asphalt?? Seems like everyone is doing alot of mods to their cars. Is it required for asphalt with the v5??
Old 04-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Potoczak
Is anyone running the v5 on asphalt?? Seems like everyone is doing alot of mods to their cars. Is it required for asphalt with the v5??
not necessary at all. Its a great car on asphalt as is.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Potoczak does bring up an interesting point.. I've been keeping an eye on this thread and it sounds like the V5 has major issues. Everyone seems to be jumping to the raceberry
Old 04-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport

Hahaha , with all respect , who want to raise the shocks now all other lower theirs. I think that both Jurai and Martin Hudy have tried this , and didn't go that way because the lower shocks are the best way. Also with the Tamiya team on their 417. Waist of money.
Who want a carbon fibre plate between motor and mount? I would prefer it in alu to transfer the heat
Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Is the main advantage of the raceberry compared to v5 the new motor position or the additional rear end flex? Because I've come up with a fairly simple and easy way to get the same rear flex as the raceberry using the TRF motor mount...
Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 PM
Tech Adept

Hb forever,

Ds motorsports shock still lower the shock position from the org mounting spot.
Ulike xray these shock tower can use tamiya and hpi spings on the shocks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.