Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

yep, i think I'm gonna give the v5 a go if i can find one. They seem to be sold out everywhere. Thanks again for your input!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rayrush
yep, i think I'm gonna give the v5 a go if i can find one. They seem to be sold out everywhere. Thanks again for your input!

Try the for sale section there is one listed (not mine as I sold it already) that is hardly used for sale for the last week or so.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Is the Raceberry conversion kit worth getting?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CraigM
For the raceberry you need to raise the original 417 bulkheads 0.5mm and use 2.5mm shims under the top deck. Or just buy a set of the new F/R bulkheads - you're spending all that coin anyway
Craig,
just for info:
I had to shim 2,5mm under the top deck with original 417(X) bulkheads.
I shimed not below the bulkheads for the moment. (Had not enough shims.)
So itīs like Andreas stated. With 417V5 bulkheads 1,5mm shims are needed under the topdeck. These come within the raceberry kit.

Is the Raceberry conversion kit worth getting?
Not many results yet, but 2 pages before Andreas stated to be 0,3 s faster than with his V5 before. And that already on carpet.
From the quality of the parts the kit is excellent.
Now you have to decide yourself.

BR,
Matthias
Old 04-07-2013, 03:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Hi guys, I've blogged about the raceberry build here
http://tchub.wordpress.com/2013/04/0...17-conversion/

The build was very nice, now I have to wait to hit the track

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
Craig,
just for info:
Yes I found this out today too!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:25 AM
Tech Regular

Hi guys, I've blogged about the raceberry build here
http://tchub.wordpress.com/2013/04/0...17-conversion/

The build was very nice, now I have to wait to hit the track
Hi Craig,
excellent documentation!
Thanks for all this infos. By your photo I learned to have the harder chassis version, didnīt know that there are 2 versions.
I also thought about fixing the play between the 2 Yokomo pulleys, maybe Iīl try a little shoegoo between them. I will also shim as you do, because the bearings can wander outside the pulleys otherwise.

If you find a setup for a medium to low grip asphalt track on Tuesday (17,5 boosted, but rather technical) Iīll appreciate your input!

Have fun with the new kit,
Matthias
Old 04-07-2013, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

The hobby store has the Raceberry chassis kit in stock but it's over $200. But then anything for the 417 is expensive. Not racing carpet but a large outdoor track. Thinking about it. Thanks~
Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Anyone want a v5 mine is up for sale....run twice indoors and a test day outdoors
Old 04-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

If you buy Yokomo BD7 parts like motor mounts, top deck, etc. is it a direct bolt on the V5 chassis with some shimming?
Old 04-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
Craig,
just for info:
So itīs like Andreas stated. With 417V5 bulkheads 1,5mm shims are needed under the topdeck. These come within the raceberry kit.

Not many results yet, but 2 pages before Andreas stated to be 0,3 s faster than with his V5 before. And that already on carpet.
From the quality of the parts the kit is excellent.
Now you have to decide yourself.

BR,
Matthias

As I told you (with the shims), itīs 2,5 with the X bulkheads. Its quiet funny, that some people, who havenīt seen the kit yet, already know how it is working or is to bulid (und damit meine ich nicht dich, matthias).

So I promised a report to you after my next turn...
Iīve been driven the kit in an LRP race this weekend on indoor medium carpet. Car worked realy nice, but I was not that concentrated today, so I was not able to bring it all on the track... As I told you before, that Iīm 0,3s faster now, has been confirmed today. I think in 2-3 weeks it will be warm enough to go outdoor for a run, so I let you know results then.
If somebody asks himself if itīs worth buying the kit, there is a short answer: ...YES!

But everyone has to make this decision for himself...
Old 04-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andreas_R.
As I told you (with the shims), itīs 2,5 with the X bulkheads
I think I caused the confusion by saying it's 2.5mm with the X bulkheads raised 0.5mm. You need to raise the old bulkheads 0.5mm so the diffs are the same height as the V5, but once you have done that you only need 2mm under the top deck

Originally Posted by JoeyE
If you buy Yokomo BD7 parts like motor mounts, top deck, etc. is it a direct bolt on the V5 chassis with some shimming?
No, you need the raceberry top and bottom deck to use the BD7 motor mount
Old 04-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JoeyE
The hobby store has the Raceberry chassis kit in stock but it's over $200. But then anything for the 417 is expensive. Not racing carpet but a large outdoor track. Thinking about it. Thanks~
Speaking to my mate he is is undecided, he has only tried it twice and found it no quicker and felt the car didnt have as much corner speed As before. (he had an original 417 not a v5 or X). He thinks is a bit soft for carpet so he intends to run solids mounts to try to stiffen it up (He has split front and rear fitted atm).

But it's like anything, he has to give it a few weeks to get used to it and change his set-up before he is decided. Just don't expect it to be a silver bullet that will kill your lap times
Old 04-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have changed my 417X over to my VTA car for the moment basically because I couldn't get it working as well as my other car for touring. Anyway our carpet track is usually low to medium grip 98X48. When the traction is on the low side the car can cut some very low lap times and is great to drive. As the grip comes up during the night or if we start with better traction I get very loose. I've tried several changes and nothing seems to make it much better or at least what may seem better doesn't result in faster laps.

So I'm going the the Scale nats in a week where there will be more traction than we see on our club nights. I'm expecting the car will be aweful. I'm just going to scrap what I have and go back to the box setup. So I'm looking for some suggestions to try off the base setup or a setup to start with if someone has experienced the same problem. I have spool, gear diffs, and ball diffs so I can use any of those if someone thinks one might be better than another.

Thanks!!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CraigM
I think I caused the confusion by saying it's 2.5mm with the X bulkheads raised 0.5mm. You need to raise the old bulkheads 0.5mm so the diffs are the same height as the V5, but once you have done that you only need 2mm under the top deck

No, you need the raceberry top and bottom deck to use the BD7 motor mount
I placed an order for the Raceberry kit. Do you also need to raise the front bulkhead and top deck too?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You can't beat tamiya and yokomo together in one chassis you can't beat that..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.