Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eComet View Post
No, the bulkheads of 417 is narrower.
oh, thanks eComet
Old 03-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #1007
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So far with the long links the car is easy to drive. I might try the short set up this weekend. When i first built the car with the short links it seemed faster on the infield.
M3dreamin2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #1008
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kody View Post
Hi Ed,

Your still running a cut motor mount right? I've been tempted to cut mine a few times... My car seems to be very solid on carpet so I've held off. Carpet Nationals is next week and im very tempted to test it cut this weekend... Also I've been running long links with 5 and 4mm inner ball stud washers. Car seems good but I haven't tried shorter or longer with less shims... I guess if I make the front end more aggressive I might need more rear grip!

Were do you see most of the guys running there diffs? Low or high?

Thanks,
Kody
Yup, 4mmF, 3mm R, and still with the cut mount. I do also with 0.5/1 shims under the front blocks, and 1/1 under the rear, as I tend to run on a high speed track, so corner speed is king, and high rollcentre helps. Also, I'm hard on the brakes, so the anti-dive helps keep it stable.

For me, the long link/less shims combo always felt the best, and the laptimes back that up. I've tried a few times now switching between settings (Long link 5/4mm, short link 5/4mm, short link 4/3mm etc), and still keep coming back to that combo.

I found that with more shims under the link, the car rolls a bit too much for my liking, and is generally less-responsive. The shorter link makes the car too peaky for me, so the longer link helps keep it stable, and with less shims, seem to get a good comprimise between camber change and roll centre to get the reactiveness back. (remembering that the bulkheads on the 7 are 0.5mm higher than the 6 as well).

Theres one corner on our track, thats a continually tightening right-hander, and the car is always highloaded, and there's also quick switch back section that I really struggled with before. With the short rear link, I'd have to be really gentle on how I got it through that big turn, and then so gentle in the switch back to make sure the rear didn't step out. With the longer link/less shims, just feels like I can lean harder and longer on the rear tyres without them stepping out, meaning I can get on the gas harder, and generally be a bit more aggressive. It was a very noticeable change which I was quite suprised at really. Means I'm now more consistent, and lapping only a couple of tenths off the fastest guys round there (although it is more fun overtaking 1/8th gas cars on the in-field, and then creeping away on the straights )

My guess is that there just wasn't enough camber change in the suspension before (either with short link or more shims), so when loaded up the car would snap loose as the tyres suddenly reached their limits.
(if it helps, tyres are Sorex's, 28's or 32's)

Or to put it in a short manner, Long link+4mmF+3mmR = My base setting

I'm still running the cut mount too. Car has been a lot better for me since doing that. Haven't put it on the rug though, so it's possible that the stiffer rear might help there (see Jilles' result at the 'Birds after all!)

HiH
Ed
Old 03-16-2011, 12:11 AM   #1009
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

hey guys ive got a stupid question,

with the suspension mount spacers. ive seen setups that have these on it.

Front
F 0mm R 0.5mm
Rear
F 0.5mm R 0.5mm

does this mean you add those shims to the standard kit settings??

giving you a total shim, making it

Front
F 0mm R 4mm
Rear
F 1mm R 1mm

or have i got it all wrong, if someone could explain this please..
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:11 AM   #1010
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Yup, 4mmF, 3mm R, and still with the cut mount. I do also with 0.5/1 shims under the front blocks, and 1/1 under the rear, as I tend to run on a high speed track, so corner speed is king, and high rollcentre helps. Also, I'm hard on the brakes, so the anti-dive helps keep it stable.

For me, the long link/less shims combo always felt the best, and the laptimes back that up. I've tried a few times now switching between settings (Long link 5/4mm, short link 5/4mm, short link 4/3mm etc), and still keep coming back to that combo.

I found that with more shims under the link, the car rolls a bit too much for my liking, and is generally less-responsive. The shorter link makes the car too peaky for me, so the longer link helps keep it stable, and with less shims, seem to get a good comprimise between camber change and roll centre to get the reactiveness back. (remembering that the bulkheads on the 7 are 0.5mm higher than the 6 as well).

Theres one corner on our track, thats a continually tightening right-hander, and the car is always highloaded, and there's also quick switch back section that I really struggled with before. With the short rear link, I'd have to be really gentle on how I got it through that big turn, and then so gentle in the switch back to make sure the rear didn't step out. With the longer link/less shims, just feels like I can lean harder and longer on the rear tyres without them stepping out, meaning I can get on the gas harder, and generally be a bit more aggressive. It was a very noticeable change which I was quite suprised at really. Means I'm now more consistent, and lapping only a couple of tenths off the fastest guys round there (although it is more fun overtaking 1/8th gas cars on the in-field, and then creeping away on the straights )

My guess is that there just wasn't enough camber change in the suspension before (either with short link or more shims), so when loaded up the car would snap loose as the tyres suddenly reached their limits.
(if it helps, tyres are Sorex's, 28's or 32's)

Or to put it in a short manner, Long link+4mmF+3mmR = My base setting

I'm still running the cut mount too. Car has been a lot better for me since doing that. Haven't put it on the rug though, so it's possible that the stiffer rear might help there (see Jilles' result at the 'Birds after all!)

HiH
Ed
Ed,

Is the track wide and with fast sweepers of opposite? I haven't cut the motor mount yet. Maybe will give it a try this weekend since I got a spare mount.

Thanks
jonest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:25 AM   #1011
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonest View Post
Ed,

Is the track wide and with fast sweepers of opposite? I haven't cut the motor mount yet. Maybe will give it a try this weekend since I got a spare mount.

Thanks
If you mean the opposite of RC city, then yes It's pretty low traction too.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:33 AM   #1012
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by I)arkness View Post
hey guys ive got a stupid question,

with the suspension mount spacers. ive seen setups that have these on it.

Front
F 0mm R 0.5mm
Rear
F 0.5mm R 0.5mm

does this mean you add those shims to the standard kit settings??

giving you a total shim, making it

Front
F 0mm R 4mm
Rear
F 1mm R 1mm

or have i got it all wrong, if someone could explain this please..
Hi brad, how are you dude

As far as I'm aware, its always total, never 'plus kit'

except, when you flip the front "rear" block, you must add 3mm to get it back to "zero" so sometimes on setup sheets that isnt counted, hence 0.5 & 0.5 etc when really its 0.5 & 3.5, kit spec example. so when you say 0 front 0.5 rear I would read that as 0 front 3.5mm rear.

hope that jiberish makes sense

"He who dies with the most toys wins" - Phil Harris
Jack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:20 AM   #1013
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

ok, thanks jack.

i had gotten pretty confused there, they should make a better note of that on setup sheets, i know when i do setups for m-chassis i try to include extra memo's of things that don't make sense.

cheers
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:16 AM   #1014
Tech Adept

Hi.

Regarding links - shims/spacers on the bulkhead - no rear grip.

On low grip carpet I've used this:

Still long links. Go up to 4 or even 4,5 mm spacer outside on the rear uprights instead of 3 mm. Use only 3 mm spacer on the bulkhead mount. The link is then more angled than kit set up. Camber about 1,0 to 1,5 degr. The car will now produce more camber in turn ins.

Use also the inner holes on the suspension arms to mount the damper. I then use HPI silver instead of Tamiya blue springs, because the HPI springs are a tick lower.

It helps a lot.

Last edited by BCDK; 03-16-2011 at 08:51 AM.
BCDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #1015
Tech Addict

anyone running mod parking lot? If so, what set ups seem to work best?
M3dreamin2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #1016
Tech Rookie

hi everybody, i'm from france, i try to find a good setup to my 417 because in france there a not many !
i drive on asphalt with low grip and fast speed.
someone has cut motor mount and try on asphalt ? ?
thank you for your help...
KRYS06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #1017
Tech Regular

Can anyone confirm that 417 carbon steering brace fits the 416? As in the steering width hasn't changed?

Simply just asking, to know if it will fit my tcx

Ta in advance
steveonamission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #1018
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveonamission View Post
Can anyone confirm that 417 carbon steering brace fits the 416? As in the steering width hasn't changed?

Simply just asking, to know if it will fit my tcx

Ta in advance
No. It doesn't fit.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #1019
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to entitymugenmtx

I'm getting back into the hobby and I was wondering is there a big difference with the 416 to the 417 or should I stick with the 416WE

thanks David
Old 03-18-2011, 05:12 AM   #1020
Tech Adept

For those of you who shop online, where do you buy your parts?
looklikeaflip is offline   Reply With Quote