Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Old 09-15-2013, 11:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ncpantherfan
I was reviewing the set up sheet you linked and I didn't see a droop setting.
Is there a kit of spacers I can order? Part number please.
Also, what would 500 wt shock fluid be in standard 40-50 wt oil?

Where can I find touring car set ups for dummies?
The hudy setup book is probably one of the best places to start:
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...p?prod_id=1281

The stuff written by Martin Crisp is really good as well: http://www.xxxmain.com/bookz.shtml

Digital versions of the latter are available for iOS and Android.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Typeone
I have the works shocks for the 417 what exactly would I need to make them into short shocks? And could I use the stock shock towers or would I need to buy some Raceberry short shock towers?
You could try to lower your stock shock towers cutting the lower screw hole
and shortening the turnbuckle on the shock piston. I manage to reach a length of 55mm. I tried this on my 416 and it works well.

A question with the raceberry towers how long have to be the shocks?
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF417-img_6927-2-.jpg  
Old 09-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by c2tcardin
First off I have to say thanks, I've been reading through this discussion for a little while now and I've learned a lot. I'm just getting into racing and decided to (hopefully not foolishly) start off with a high end kit rather than going through kit after kit wasting money along the way. I just built the TRF417 kit with the Diff II and I have a few questions.
I switched out the Spur gear for a Kimbrough Precision 90T 64 pitch (KIM228) and a Robinson Racing Aluminum Pinion 45T 64 Pitch (RRP4345). This I read would give me a 3.88 ratio which would be ideal with the 17.5 Tekin motor I was planning on using. From a suggestion I read on here I had to drill out two holes in the Spur to get the pulleys to attach to it. The issue is i'm getting gear noise and I've tried adjusting the gap between them from tight to pretty wide and I still get the gear noise. Is this an issue with my gear choices, using a combination of metal pinion and plastic spur, or is it even an issue at all?
I'll be running the car on carpet (hopefully really soon) at an indoor track, then I'm sure I'll have all sorts of set up questions.

I've already noticed some Diff Oil leaking so I took it out tonight and tightened the screws further. I've read a lot of different rebuild options but wanted to get another consensus here, it sounds like everyone uses the Kyosho "O" rings but does everyone switch to metal gears or stick with the plastic? If you switch to metal does this mean using grease instead of oil in the Diff? Also where do you get the metal parts and the paper gaskets?

I'll leave it to those questions for now so as not to overload this post. LOL
Well, for spurs, I've tried the Kimboroughs (& noticed a similar sound)but had just accepted it for a long time, but have since switched to these: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Spur-Gear-96T & have been much happier, they fit well, & are a LOT quieter(at least they seem that way to me). As for the gear diff, I know I'm in the minority, but I just built mine VERY carefully & used a LOT of Associated green slime on all the gaskets & o-rings(with the plastic gears) & honestly, mine has not lost a single drop of oil that I can tell, & I built it back in Feburary. It's worked VERY well for me... Oh, & as for where to get spare parts, I usually go here: http://www.speedtechhobbies.com/inde...74_110_122_145 , my local shops can't or won't order them for me, so Speedtech has been my best bet....
Old 09-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (60%+)

Where is a good place for spare parts
Old 09-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer034life
Where is a good place for spare parts
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/parts...arts_p_id=1447
Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Grizzbob
Thanks! I'll give the Yokomo spur gear a try. I haven't seen any leaks on the diff since tightening it further so hopefully that will fix it. Just in case I ordered some of the Kyosho P5 "O" rings too.
Cheers, Jeff
Old 09-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Has anybody tried the Spec R front spool with spring steel cups. I see that it has cut outs to take off some of the aluminum that the stock 417 spool has. Also I like it cause it seems lighter meaning less rotating mass but before I pick one up I want to hear your opinions about it.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Tech Adept

Can I get some examples of how you guys are mounting your fans?
Old 09-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dizope
I use double stick tape directly to the chassis right behind the motor for mine. I will post a pic a little later today.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

What's up Richard, I place my fan pretty close to the suspension mount with double sided tape, but it's cause I'm running a R1 Wurks blower fan. What kind of fan did u get?
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF417-image.jpg  
Old 09-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can see about uploading a pic of mine tonight but it may serve as an example of how not to do it. I'm hoping others will post pics too so I can see how far off I am. I only put it on last week at the suggestion of the guy at the local track here so I'm curious to see if I'm right or not.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Tech Adept

When you guys say double sided tape, are you talking soft servo tape or industrial style double sided tape?

Tim, I got a Team Powers 40x40mm fan a few months ago but have yet to install it. The fan doesn't really have a flat edge so I think I'm going to replace it. I like that R1 fan you just posted but they are out of stock from TQ.

http://www.team-powers.com/index.php...&subcategory=7
Old 09-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Use a WTF fan from Side Piece Racing with 3M exterior weather-resistant double-sided tape...gray w/red liner.

http://shop.awesomatixusa.com/wild-turbo-fan.html
Old 09-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

Tim, I think I'm going to order a few of these:

http://www.superiorhobbies.com/istar...id=SRCFAN30!SH
Old 09-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Richard Im not able to post a picture but I could build you a lexan fan holder. It is more like a housing fan shroud that forces are into the motor. You can screw your fan directly to the shroud. Let me know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.