R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #5386
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 247
Default

As someone mentioned shocks, can the plastic bits that we drill be bought seperatly as mine are getting worn Where the balls go into them
scytherat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #5387
Tech Master
 
turd ferguson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: tuCSoN, AZ
Posts: 1,042
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to turd ferguson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scytherat View Post
As someone mentioned shocks, can the plastic bits that we drill be bought separately as mine are getting worn Where the balls go into them
For the "Works" shocks:
It's part of the parts tree. ITEM# 53334 RC Low Friction Damper V Parts - (Damper Collar) MSRP $5.75
__________________
TrakPower, Speed Passion USA, Pro-line, Stickit1 Racing, LiveRC.com
turd ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #5388
Tech Elite
 
Dusttt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lake Forest
Posts: 2,303
Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)
Default

selling my V5 if anyone is interested

Tamiya 417v5 Premium Package ++
__________________
"Whiskey Tango Foxtrot"
Dusttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #5389
Tech Addict
 
StickyFingaz's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 688
Trader Rating: 16 (90%+)
Default

Notes from the Reedy Touring Car Race of Champions.

Rheinard looks to be unstoppable. Only other car looking like they belong in his league are Wilck and Krapp running Kyosho. They continue to use the Raceberry chassis, with Kiyo along their sides for support.

In open Mod Ethan Erichinger is the current pacesetter running an Xray. Andrew Hardman mechanic turned rent-a-ride driver (and former Tamiya guru) Corey Whiteman is right there with him using a back-up Hardman-owned Xray. Tamiya drivers McPhee, Williams and myself all have 1 solid round of qualifying, but are looking to capture the elusive 2nd solid run to solidify ourselves into the A-main, and bump someone out of the top 10.

13.5; Stellfue, Cortes (both AE), and Caroli have dominated the qualifying the rounds and the race is shaping up to be a triple A-main battle among themselves, with Erchinger dropping out to concentrate on Mod.

The talk of the 17.5 class has been of the Awesomatix duo of Austin Brumblay and Aaron Young. Many are speculating on the advantages their shaft-driven drivetrain in the slower horsepower class provide. Kyle Bergstrom, who to the best of my knowledge, is piloting a Hacker-powered Top Photon, is also showing good pace.

One last round of qualifying tomorrow, with mains to follow!
__________________
Get the $%^& out of my way.

Last edited by StickyFingaz; 05-26-2013 at 03:21 AM.
StickyFingaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #5390
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 272
Default

Very frustrated trying to gear my TRF417. Where to get a spur gear smaller than 111T? Looks like Tamiya only make 113 and 111T for the TRF417. I'm trying to gear this for 17.5 blinky class. The biggest pinion I can get in there is about 42 tooth which gives a ratio of 5.146.
I have searched Tower Hobby and RC Mart (and the internet in general) but can't find any smaller spur gears that indicate they would fit a TRF417. Any suggestions for a USA source of smaller spur gears? Should I be searching for TRF416 or something else that fits? Are all touring car spur gears the same?
ic-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #5391
Tech Fanatic
 
tiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 944
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tiko
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
Very frustrated trying to gear my TRF417. Where to get a spur gear smaller than 111T? Looks like Tamiya only make 113 and 111T for the TRF417. I'm trying to gear this for 17.5 blinky class. The biggest pinion I can get in there is about 42 tooth which gives a ratio of 5.146.
I have searched Tower Hobby and RC Mart (and the internet in general) but can't find any smaller spur gears that indicate they would fit a TRF417. Any suggestions for a USA source of smaller spur gears? Should I be searching for TRF416 or something else that fits? Are all touring car spur gears the same?
Here you go this is what I have on my car it works great.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBRAP&P=SM
tiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #5392
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiko View Post
Here you go this is what I have on my car it works great.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBRAP&P=SM
Awesome, thanks for the reply!
ic-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #5393
Tech Regular
 
Dragobrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 275
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
Very frustrated trying to gear my TRF417. Where to get a spur gear smaller than 111T? Looks like Tamiya only make 113 and 111T for the TRF417. I'm trying to gear this for 17.5 blinky class. The biggest pinion I can get in there is about 42 tooth which gives a ratio of 5.146.
I have searched Tower Hobby and RC Mart (and the internet in general) but can't find any smaller spur gears that indicate they would fit a TRF417. Any suggestions for a USA source of smaller spur gears? Should I be searching for TRF416 or something else that fits? Are all touring car spur gears the same?
Hi, I run 64pitch, i have a collection of - Robinson racing, kawada, TRF and xenon panaracer.
"To cut a long story short" - if you look at the direct center shaft[tamiya 3454765] the side which drives the front belt- the two pins can be removed[or ground away] so that you are just relying on the two pins from the rear belt side. And you could fit any brand spur gear which is available on the market. and still have a reliable center drive.
If you want to keep the 4x pins[2x each side] then you could get robinson racing spurs[just need to make 2x holes in the new spur gear,i just use body reamer] I have found them to be quite decent, i havent chewed any out yet.
To have some of the panaracer spur gear spacers is advisable as well because most of the spur gears vary in thickness [re;getting the e-clip sitting nice on the direct drive unit]. cheers.
Dragobrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #5394
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 1,299
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
Very frustrated trying to gear my TRF417. Where to get a spur gear smaller than 111T? Looks like Tamiya only make 113 and 111T for the TRF417. I'm trying to gear this for 17.5 blinky class. The biggest pinion I can get in there is about 42 tooth which gives a ratio of 5.146.
I have searched Tower Hobby and RC Mart (and the internet in general) but can't find any smaller spur gears that indicate they would fit a TRF417. Any suggestions for a USA source of smaller spur gears? Should I be searching for TRF416 or something else that fits? Are all touring car spur gears the same?

You can also try this site too. I have a 90T on mine for 17.5 Blinky Class.

http://www.speedtechhobbies.com/inde...roduct_id=2309
JoeyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #5395
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 389
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

So I'm considering switching back to a 417 (v5) a from a T4 so I can take advantage of the local Tamiya track here in SoCal and try something new. I like the T4 especially since it handled great out of the box with minor changes. I'll be running asphalt mostly, and I've studied this thread and notoced those raceberry conversions are popular. I also noticed that the new shocks have some mixed reviews. So I have a couple questions..

1) If I wanted to go back to the old style shocks, do I have to buy the whole new shock set or can I simply buy bladders and different caps?
2) How is the stock v5 chassis? Is the raceberry that big of a deal just for some club racing on medium/high grip asphalt?
3) How does the car compare to the T4? I do feel the xray is made of high quality but I never had complaints with my other Tamiyas.

I'd love to try this car but after reading some stuff on here I'm a bit skeptical. But it's hard to pass on a car that wins so many races!
RC.Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:46 PM   #5396
Tech Regular
 
narcotiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 452
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC.Jon22 View Post
So I'm considering switching back to a 417 (v5) a from a T4 so I can take advantage of the local Tamiya track here in SoCal and try something new. I like the T4 especially since it handled great out of the box with minor changes. I'll be running asphalt mostly, and I've studied this thread and notoced those raceberry conversions are popular. I also noticed that the new shocks have some mixed reviews. So I have a couple questions..

1) If I wanted to go back to the old style shocks, do I have to buy the whole new shock set or can I simply buy bladders and different caps?
2) How is the stock v5 chassis? Is the raceberry that big of a deal just for some club racing on medium/high grip asphalt?
3) How does the car compare to the T4? I do feel the xray is made of high quality but I never had complaints with my other Tamiyas.

I'd love to try this car but after reading some stuff on here I'm a bit skeptical. But it's hard to pass on a car that wins so many races!
1) You would need to buy a new set of std shocks, the aeration dampers have a different thread up top for the aeration cap.
2) The stock v5 is awesome! The raceberry is even better! That being said, you don't need the raceberry to be fast with the v5 and make it work well.
3) I've never driven a T4 but I did have a t3 12, the v5 was better for me but its personal preference. For club racing you could have your v5 and t4 at the same pace. As far as quality they are pretty similar
If you want to switch back to tamiya, you wont be dissapointed!!!
narcotiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #5397
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyE View Post
You can also try this site too. I have a 90T on mine for 17.5 Blinky Class.

http://www.speedtechhobbies.com/inde...roduct_id=2309
Quote:
The Version 2 Supalite spur gears are designed to fit ALL modern touring cars, including the TRF 417
Quote from the site. This is perfect! Thanks for the link.
ic-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #5398
Tech Elite
 
Potoczak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 3,587
Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Default

Ok, it seems like tamiya knows what they have to do to the 417 with the raceberry conversion. So when can we expect the 418 or new parts??
__________________
Pete Potoczak

Home entertainment specialist
Secure Technologies/ www.stiworldwide.com
Potoczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #5399
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 210
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Just curious how the carpet guys scrub in new tires to get rid of the shine and center rubber seem? Done a search but not much info.
rayrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #5400
Tech Master
 
Autocratic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 1,690
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrush View Post
Just curious how the carpet guys scrub in new tires to get rid of the shine and center rubber seem? Done a search but not much info.
I just shave the mold release line and clean with motor spray.
__________________
Thanks to my sponsors for 2015!
XFactory RC | Proline Racing | Fantom Racing | Avid RC | Speed Passion USA | Factory1 | Hy-Traction Juice | Mike's Hobby Shop
Autocratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saudi Arabia RC Club grizzle Manila Racers 6558 01-06-2017 08:50 AM
Tamiya TRF415 JDM_DOHC_SiR Electric On-Road 21094 03-10-2016 11:02 AM
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X academygaz Electric On-Road 10619 01-01-2015 03:36 PM
Tamiya TA05 IFS rcforum Electric On-Road 1132 12-18-2014 05:19 AM
"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors JGH Electric On-Road 1996 05-27-2014 06:28 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:18 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net