Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 05-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #5206
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusttt View Post
I will give that a whirl. Thanks man
Good luck, should be good! Are there good tracks in San Diego? I'll be there in a few weeks & I'll have my car with me from RROC
Old 05-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #5207
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusttt View Post
Bumpy and medium traction asphalt.

Basically I am running the stock set up with works shocks hpi silvers and in # 2 on rear and number 1 on front tower. 40 wt oil split blocks front and rear
Ff c. Fr b. rf b rr d

When I say on edge I mean it is either pushing or breaking loose you have to drive the shit out of it. I have prob 1k into the roller so I expected a much more precise and refined car.

If anyone has a setup for The Tamiya track it would be much appreciated.
Well if you are running this car for TCS or at Tamiya then you need to talk to the winner of the last race there, he works at Speedtech. He demolished the field with an old 417. What I mentioned earlier about camber links and rear dcj's most definitely applies to the Tamiya track. That's what he was running. It's been a while since I had the 417x, but I will look for my setup sheet from my last Speedtech race at Tamiya which is very similar to his setup sans tire choice. The car is really easy to drive and push hard.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #5208
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Good luck, should be good! Are there good tracks in San Diego? I'll be there in a few weeks & I'll have my car with me from RROC
Come to the Tamiya USA track or many others around SoCal.

West Coast
Cal Raceway
TQ RC

There is Ventura roadrunners that brings in a consistently full mod turnout. There's difinitely going to be a lot of pro guys practicing for RROC as the track surface is very similar to NorCal Hobbies.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:53 AM   #5209
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing4Evo View Post
Come to the Tamiya USA track or many others around SoCal.

West Coast
Cal Raceway
TQ RC

There is Ventura roadrunners that brings in a consistently full mod turnout. There's difinitely going to be a lot of pro guys practicing for RROC as the track surface is very similar to NorCal Hobbies.
Oh yeah it would be cool to visit the tamiya track... will they let me run raceberry there? RROC is the first stop on my US trip then we're making our way south. Would be cool to check out some other US tracks if I have time (and the wife lets me)

Old 05-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #5210
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by theagentorange View Post
mod

i likely wont have those springs to start with, but i've got pretty much the full line of tamiya springs (currently running white/blue i'm pretty sure)
That's good on carpet, on asphalt start with yellow/yellow or blue/blue if the grip is higher. You should take somewhere the hpi's o ride's spring they are way better than tamiya's one on asphalt.
NItrox416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #5211
Tech Regular

Quote:
Oh yeah it would be cool to visit the tamiya track... will they let me run raceberry there? RROC is the first stop on my US trip then we're making our way south. Would be cool to check out some other US tracks if I have time (and the wife lets me)

Don't know about San Diego but to the north in Orange County there are three tracks:

1 hr 15 min north of san diego:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/track.php
Remember the Tamiya track is only open on Saturdays from ~10am -> ~4pm. Everyone there is super friendly so I'm sure a raceberry is not a problem, especially for far away visitor. I bring my old F201 3racing carbon fiber chassis without anyone caring from time to time. On race days it's closed (unless you're participating), may 11th there is a speedtech race. Nice hotel close by: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...o-viejo-hotel/

1hr 45 min north of SD
west coast is open every day and much later. http://wcrcr.com/

Holiday Inn La Mirada is very close to the track and just to the south you can drop the wife off at Disneyland (15 min away)

1hr 45 min north of SD
http://www.tqrcracing.com/track/pictures.asp

never been, carpet. order stuff from them all the time though
torg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #5212
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ok, just ordered a 417 v5
Im coming from a X-ray so just a couple questions.

What toe angle does the kit come with front and back?
I will be racing on carpet so what toe do you recommend and part number if possible as finding it hard to work out how many degrees they are.

I like using lipo holder instead of tape. Are there parts in the kit to secure a lipo without tape?

I really want to start of with a standard setup and work from there with minor changes so is the shock & diff oil that comes with the kit ok?

I will be ordering extra diff, swing arms, uprights & belts. Is there anything else you would recommend?

Thank you for any replies!
rayrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #5213
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrush View Post

I will be racing on carpet so what toe do you recommend and part number if possible as finding it hard to work out how many degrees they are.

I like using lipo holder instead of tape. Are there parts in the kit to secure a lipo without tape?

I really want to start of with a standard setup and work from there with minor changes so is the shock & diff oil that comes with the kit ok?

I will be ordering extra diff, swing arms, uprights & belts. Is there anything else you would recommend?

i break c-hubs more than anything else
theagentorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #5214
Tech Champion

Quote:

The kit comes with 0 deg arm sweep and 3 deg rear toe. The toe blocks are explained here:

There are lipo stops but you still need to use tape, using anything other than tape can tweak the car
Old 05-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #5215
Tech Initiate

Quote:

What made you choose the V5 over the 417x? I've been looking at both and interested to know your thoughts??
TheHoofmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:26 AM   #5216
Tech Regular

Quote:

Are you moving from a t4 to a 417v5 or an older xray.?
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #5217
Tech Regular

This is a kind of stupid question, but I'm coming from the nitro world. I just built my TRF417 to try carpet racing. Other than the pinion grub screw, where else would I put thread locker?
ic-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #5218
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
This is a kind of stupid question, but I'm coming from the nitro world. I just built my TRF417 to try carpet racing. Other than the pinion grub screw, where else would I put thread locker?

For me, I never put any thread locker on my builds unless it was suggested in the manual. I did before on my electric cars because I use to race 1/8 onroad but ended striping screw heads.
JoeyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:13 AM   #5219
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:

Nice~! Norcal track is where I race. Pretty much the only TAMIYA 417 guy there for club racing, haha.
JoeyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #5220
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I decided on the v5 because its the latest version

Used to have a xray t3 but just didn't feel right for me. Come from a Tao5 v2 before that which I loved.

Not a fan of using tape for the Lipo. I've seen You can get tamiys
Lipo mount holders. Why would using a Lipo mount cause tweak?
rayrush is offline   Reply With Quote