R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-01-2013, 02:39 AM   #5176
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcotiks View Post
Is the main advantage of the raceberry compared to v5 the new motor position or the additional rear end flex? Because I've come up with a fairly simple and easy way to get the same rear flex as the raceberry using the TRF motor mount...
The weight is more central both side to side and front to rear, and the flex point is moved forward compared to the v5. Most of us that are getting on with the raceberry are running the soft chassis in low grip, which flexes much more and provides increased grip than the standard car.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:14 AM   #5177
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakaguchinet View Post
Hello,

just finished building the 2.5mm lowered topdeck on my 417. Looks good so far. If it will really work I will see in 1.5 weeks on the Xray Challenge in Kirchhain (not only Xray cars will race there). One week later there will be the ETS in Apeldoorn.

Like Chris is writing: The original Raceberry mod is very prone for tweak. On the TCM carpet I raced the Raceberry from the beginning (so no chance to countertest the Smokem MX/FX).

Now I have to order a lot of 116T Spurs (seems to be the perfect one for Raceberry Modified racing).
I race the topdeck without spacers. I modified the topdeck for using large pinions.

I'm developing a new topdeck for the raceberry chassis, and a new motormount (direct fit, V5 chassis) that places the motor 5mm inwards. Both will be available soon.
C van der Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #5178
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Post your setup and surface and we can help V5 is a great car, you don't need raceberry to be fast
Bumpy and medium traction asphalt.

Basically I am running the stock set up with works shocks hpi silvers and in # 2 on rear and number 1 on front tower. 40 wt oil split blocks front and rear
Ff c. Fr b. rf b rr d

When I say on edge I mean it is either pushing or breaking loose you have to drive the shit out of it. I have prob 1k into the roller so I expected a much more precise and refined car.

If anyone has a setup for The Tamiya track it would be much appreciated.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #5179
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi,

I intend to race on carpet. Is the trf417 v5 good out of the box. I ask because there is so much talk about other race berry chassis etc. Just wondering why a expensive top of the line kit would need the chassis changed to make it better?

Also in your experience, is Tamiya due for a new model to replace the v5? Don't wish to purchase one to find out 1 week later it is replaced.

Thank you for any responses!

Last edited by rayrush; 05-01-2013 at 10:27 PM.
rayrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #5180
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to ngo8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrush View Post
Is the trf417 v5 good out of the box. I ask because there is so much talk about other race berry chassis etc. Just wondering why a expensive top of the line kit would need the chassis changed to make it better?

Also in your experience, is Tamiya due for a new model to replace the v5? Don't wish to purchase one to find out 1 week later it is replaced.

Thank you for any responses!
hey man i think you will like the v5 or any of the 417 cars there very good cars and if you know how to set them up properly they will not disappoint you ..as for new kits tamiya always introduces there new kit around October -November and is available to the public by mid December , hope it helps a little as for raceberry option its not necessary unless you're a pro driver and feel the little affects it adds to the kit ...i bought one but that's because i just like to buy things lol and i didnt even put it on my v5 i put it on my 417x so just get the car build it enjoy it run it
Old 05-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #5181
Tech Initiate

Hi - wonder if anyone can help me with this?

I am looking at different models to run in the UK initially indoor but with a view to still be able to use outdoor once my skills improve. Have looked at Schu, Xray, Yokomo and Tamiya. From Tamiya, I have looked at both the 417x and the 417v5. Out of these two kits, can anyone give reasons for one over the other. Even though the v5 is a newer kit it appears the 417x 2012 kit is slightly more expensive? Interested to here people's opinions on both kits and what I should go with.
TheHoofmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #5182
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusttt View Post
Bumpy and medium traction asphalt.

Basically I am running the stock set up with works shocks hpi silvers and in # 2 on rear and number 1 on front tower. 40 wt oil split blocks front and rear
Ff c. Fr b. rf b rr d

When I say on edge I mean it is either pushing or breaking loose you have to drive the shit out of it. I have prob 1k into the roller so I expected a much more precise and refined car.

If anyone has a setup for The Tamiya track it would be much appreciated.
No offense, but I can see why you are struggling. Basically all of the changes you have made will make for an pushy/edgy car in low-med traction. Arm sweep is a classic one, it makes the car push on the way in and snap on the way out if you don't have enough grip. Same thing with the shock angles, the front laid down will push all the way till the apex and the rear laid down will make the car rotate hard and have no forward traction.

What to do:
C/c/xa/e blocks
Shocks 5/5 on towers
2k diff
2mm Ackerman
5/5.5mm ride height (or 0.5mm higher depending on how bumpy)
5.5/4.5mm droop
1.5/2 deg camber
Kit everything else (camber links, bump steer, etc)

Try that and report back
Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 AM   #5183
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoofmeister View Post
Hi - wonder if anyone can help me with this?

I am looking at different models to run in the UK initially indoor but with a view to still be able to use outdoor once my skills improve. Have looked at Schu, Xray, Yokomo and Tamiya. From Tamiya, I have looked at both the 417x and the 417v5. Out of these two kits, can anyone give reasons for one over the other. Even though the v5 is a newer kit it appears the 417x 2012 kit is slightly more expensive? Interested to here people's opinions on both kits and what I should go with.

I'm based in the UK and looking at selling a 417v5, Send me a PM if your interested, it hasn't been used much at all....
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:38 AM   #5184
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartypants View Post
I'm based in the UK and looking at selling a 417v5, Send me a PM if your interested, it hasn't been used much at all....
Okay, appreciate that.

How has the car been for UK tracks? Have you driven any other TRF cars as really wanted a comparison between the 417x and v5 before making any choices.
TheHoofmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:42 AM   #5185
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
No offense, but I can see why you are struggling. Basically all of the changes you have made will make for an pushy/edgy car in low-med traction. Arm sweep is a classic one, it makes the car push on the way in and snap on the way out if you don't have enough grip. Same thing with the shock angles, the front laid down will push all the way till the apex and the rear laid down will make the car rotate hard and have no forward traction.

What to do:
C/c/xa/e blocks
Shocks 5/5 on towers
2k diff
2mm Ackerman
5/5.5mm ride height (or 0.5mm higher depending on how bumpy)
5.5/4.5mm droop
1.5/2 deg camber
Kit everything else (camber links, bump steer, etc)

Try that and report back
i try this setup, because this week i race in same conditition track

thanks Craig

Kyosho MP9 TKI3 - OS Engine - AKA - ByronFuels - Futaba
setanborneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #5186
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of putting in a panaracer spur gear in my V5. Do I need to put it in with a panaracer spur gear spacer? Or will the one that came with the kit do?

Thanks in advance
IN10CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:52 AM   #5187
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoofmeister View Post
Okay, appreciate that.

How has the car been for UK tracks? Have you driven any other TRF cars as really wanted a comparison between the 417x and v5 before making any choices.
i have had a 416x,417,417x and the v5. so quite afew

Over the 417x and the v5 is a more refined car with sharpened up handling over the older model, Great car! but it wont really get used much now as i'm more into offroad.
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #5188
Tech Adept

whats a good starting asphalt setup ( original 417 with smokemfx chassis, rubber tires, prepped parking lot)? i finally got the car working close to how i like on carpet, time to move to pave
theagentorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #5189
Tech Adept

In which type of track you will drive the car?
(wide fast track or small technical, grip conditions)
I have got the same lower deck I can give you maybe more than
a starting point.
NItrox416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #5190
Tech Adept

layout isnt fixed yet (we're setting it all up now)... hopefully wide/fast, carpet is tight enough

grip i have no idea, new pave, never rc driven on it, sweep tires
theagentorange is offline   Reply With Quote