R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #4831
Tech Elite
 
Dusttt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lake Forest
Posts: 2,287
Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)
Default

What set up would someone recommend for bumpy medium grip asphalt with my V5?

I do have the V5 shocks and a set of the 84317 and a set of the 42102s
__________________
"Whiskey Tango Foxtrot"
Dusttt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #4832
Tech Apprentice
 
setanborneo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusttt View Post
What set up would someone recommend for bumpy medium grip asphalt with my V5?

I do have the V5 shocks and a set of the 84317 and a set of the 42102s
i have same problem with you mate, try this setup, i enjoyed this setup for my v5 car on medium grip asphalt with small bumpy track
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TRF417-setup-low-1.jpg   Tamiya TRF417-setup-low-2.jpg  
__________________
Tamiya 417 V5 - Tamiya M05 Pro

Kyosho MP9 TKI3 - OS Engine - AKA - ByronFuels - Futaba
setanborneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #4833
Tech Elite
 
Dusttt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lake Forest
Posts: 2,287
Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by setanborneo View Post
i have same problem with you mate, try this setup, i enjoyed this setup for my v5 car on medium grip asphalt with small bumpy track
Thanks
__________________
"Whiskey Tango Foxtrot"
Dusttt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #4834
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 175
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Odd, that setup should not be a handful to drive. Have you adjusted the shock angles for the X towers? It should be hole 3 front and 5 rear on the X. I also think David ran a putty diff in the front, if you are running that then a spool will be more stable.

Other things to try:
- Kit rear anti roll bar
- Anti dive
- 3.5mm rear wheelbase (with 0.5 or 1mm front)
Thanks Craig, I am running hole 3 front and hole 4 rear at the moment but Ill try 5 in the rear + have a look at all your other recommendations.
Is it worth trying a little more camber? I have heard people comment on sorex needing a little more than some other brands - Not sure if its true or not.
Glarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #4835
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glarke View Post
Thanks Craig, I am running hole 3 front and hole 4 rear at the moment but Ill try 5 in the rear + have a look at all your other recommendations.
Is it worth trying a little more camber? I have heard people comment on sorex needing a little more than some other brands - Not sure if its true or not.
Hard to say. More static camber in the rear (e.g. 2deg) will improve rear end stability off power but you'll have even less forward bite. It doesn't hurt to give it a go...
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #4836
Tech Adept
 
Starteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 240
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

When you put steel gears in the 417 X diff do you sand thew to the right thickness ( Groskamp style)like we do with the plastic ones ?
__________________
Ride it like you stole it!!!!!!

Tamiya TRF417V5 SEDAN Racer - Tamiya 416X VTA Racer - Tamiya TRF 416X USGT Racer -Tamiya M05 V2 PRO Racer.
Starteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #4837
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starteur View Post
When you put steel gears in the 417 X diff do you sand thew to the right thickness ( Groskamp style)like we do with the plastic ones ?
Nope they drop straight in with perfect mesh. Use 0.3mm shim each side. The fit is even better with the new outdrives!
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #4838
Tech Adept
 
Starteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 240
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thanks a lot !
__________________
Ride it like you stole it!!!!!!

Tamiya TRF417V5 SEDAN Racer - Tamiya 416X VTA Racer - Tamiya TRF 416X USGT Racer -Tamiya M05 V2 PRO Racer.
Starteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #4839
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Posts: 13
Default

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the world of RC and I got 417 V5 arrived a week ago, but havent had time to build it yet. I prepared the Lower carbon fiber and that is it. I'm looking at putting savox 1251MG, Reedy lipo and Tekin RS pro set. Has anyone had setup like this before and if you do pls share your thoughts. enlighten me please, thanks.
dingsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #4840
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 2,512
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingsky View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the world of RC and I got 417 V5 arrived a week ago, but havent had time to build it yet. I prepared the Lower carbon fiber and that is it. I'm looking at putting savox 1251MG, Reedy lipo and Tekin RS pro set. Has anyone had setup like this before and if you do pls share your thoughts. enlighten me please, thanks.
You definitely want to use a servo saver with that servo. It's all metal gears, but can be a bit brittle, especially if you're new to RC (you'll hit a lot of things). But it performs well. Don't use a lower-end Spektrum receiver with it, as you may have dropout issues.

Tekin is a great ESC for 17.5 and below. It can be a bit like a light switch with faster motors, though. You can also run a Silver Can with it, if you should be so inclined. Find someone local with a hotwire to get your software up-to-date and make sure you've properly configured it for the class you're going to race.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #4841
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 175
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Hard to say. More static camber in the rear (e.g. 2deg) will improve rear end stability off power but you'll have even less forward bite. It doesn't hurt to give it a go...
Im not going to be able to get to the track for a few weeks so Ill ask the question here.
Ive just noticed the front belt is fairly loose. Long shot here, but is it possible that was causing some of the tail happy behavior? Im guessing it would load up the rears before front tires under braking/accelerating.
Glarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #4842
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glarke View Post
Im not going to be able to get to the track for a few weeks so Ill ask the question here.
Ive just noticed the front belt is fairly loose. Long shot here, but is it possible that was causing some of the tail happy behavior? Im guessing it would load up the rears before front tires under braking/accelerating.
It wouldn't help but it's unlikely to be the sole cause
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #4843
Tech Adept
 
NItrox416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 168
Default

Hi Craig,
I need your precious help,
I run the trf417x in a small technical asphalt track with blinky 13.5, smokem fx chassis, on solaris medium. My car is very hard to drive and the only way to get tires in temperature is to go with four tamiya white spring, despite this in the two in line left-right of the track I always lose my rear end.
The only changes I've done from kit setup are 1B-1B in front with 0.5 anti-dive and 1XB-1D in the rear and I've rised the bulkheads of .5mm, so like the v5. In which way can I solve the oversteer?
Do you think I have to get a stiffer chassis?
Thank you for help.
NItrox416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #4844
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NItrox416 View Post
Hi Craig,
I need your precious help,
I run the trf417x in a small technical asphalt track with blinky 13.5, smokem fx chassis, on solaris medium. My car is very hard to drive and the only way to get tires in temperature is to go with four tamiya white spring, despite this in the two in line left-right of the track I always lose my rear end.
The only changes I've done from kit setup are 1B-1B in front with 0.5 anti-dive and 1XB-1D in the rear and I've rised the bulkheads of .5mm, so like the v5. In which way can I solve the oversteer?
Do you think I have to get a stiffer chassis?
Thank you for help.
I also found B/B can make the car taily in chicanes. Lately I've been running wider at the front, D/D, and I haven't been using anti-dive as much.

Tamiya whites are an OK spring but I prefer Ride or HPI. To help get your tyres into the right operating temperature try different additives and higher temps on your warmers (~70c). If that doesn't work go lighter shock oil and a harder spring.

Also, your chassis is fine. In general I think people are way too quick to change carbon when their issues can more easily be solved with setup
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #4845
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: santa monica / manchester
Posts: 1,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NItrox416 View Post
Hi Craig,
I need your precious help,
I run the trf417x in a small technical asphalt track with blinky 13.5, smokem fx chassis, on solaris medium. My car is very hard to drive and the only way to get tires in temperature is to go with four tamiya white spring, despite this in the two in line left-right of the track I always lose my rear end.
The only changes I've done from kit setup are 1B-1B in front with 0.5 anti-dive and 1XB-1D in the rear and I've rised the bulkheads of .5mm, so like the v5. In which way can I solve the oversteer?
Do you think I have to get a stiffer chassis?
Thank you for help.
I would widen the front and the rear, that's quite narrow. Also tam blue spring at the rear. Also try removing the anti dive.
__________________
http://www.theRcRacer.com/

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saudi Arabia RC Club grizzle Manila Racers 6558 01-06-2017 08:50 AM
Tamiya TRF415 JDM_DOHC_SiR Electric On-Road 21094 03-10-2016 11:02 AM
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X academygaz Electric On-Road 10619 01-01-2015 03:36 PM
Tamiya TA05 IFS rcforum Electric On-Road 1132 12-18-2014 05:19 AM
"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors JGH Electric On-Road 1996 05-27-2014 06:28 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:52 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net