R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #4816
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Looks like he's just got a set screw in the center front motor mount hole?

-Mike
Looks like that one piece that holds the spurgear on the battery side came straight from a yokomo too.
napoleon1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #4817
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Questions?? servo saver weak

Quick question guys, what do you do when the Tamiya servo saver gets weak and feels sloppy?

1) Disassemble, tweak the C shaped metal bands into a smaller diameter and reassemble.
2) Chuck it in the trash and replace with new Tamiya parts.
3) Chuck it out and replace with an XRay servo saver.
4) Other method (please explain)

Thanks!
AE SC10 AE B4.11
SS LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #4818
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Heya all,
Looking for some setup help. At current I am running David Juns 417 setup on a 417x

http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/ln...ch%20setup.pdf

Differences are that I am running ride red springs and 3mm droop all around and sorex 32's (which are run by others on our track with good traction).

Im runing 13.5 boosted and cant find any rear traction. The car is loose in the rear on and off power and I have to be very careful on the trigger finger to keep it pointed in the right direction.
Things that I have tried so far are softer springs in the rear and laying the rear shocks over - neither seemed to make any noticeable difference.

Last edited by Glarke; 03-04-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Glarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:09 AM   #4819
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Congrat's to Viktor on winning his 2nd ETS ever! Looks like it was a very close event, once again running the raceberry top and bottom decks and yokomo centre bulkheads. According to the "chassis focus" tamiya are preparing their own version of the parts for release
Making new main chassis, topdecks and install Yokomo motor mount is easy, they have done these kind of things for years but they are just more or less going around in the same circles with that.

Tamiya need to put some focus on the suspension because what they are running now is pretty much the suspension they introduced 2004. Thats almost 10 years ago...and I must say i think it is pretty much underdeveloped.

I have been driving Tamiya for 7 years but that is comming to a end because their lack of innovation. To make a new suspension system is difficult and require a lot of work to get it working good but I will put my money to the manufacturer that builds something new. Just getting bored by TRF TCs
BJS414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #4820
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJS414 View Post
Making new main chassis, topdecks and install Yokomo motor mount is easy, they have done these kind of things for years but they are just more or less going around in the same circles with that.

Tamiya need to put some focus on the suspension because what they are running now is pretty much the suspension they introduced 2004. Thats almost 10 years ago...and I must say i think it is pretty much underdeveloped.

I have been driving Tamiya for 7 years but that is comming to a end because their lack of innovation. To make a new suspension system is difficult and require a lot of work to get it working good but I will put my money to the manufacturer that builds something new. Just getting bored by TRF TCs
You'd be pretty bored of other TC's then, given that most copy the geometry off of the Tam... The reason it's not changed much is because it works, simple.
Trust me when I say the Carbon fibre style arms are not all they are cracked up too be...
Old 03-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #4821
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS LS1 View Post
Quick question guys, what do you do when the Tamiya servo saver gets weak and feels sloppy?

1) Disassemble, tweak the C shaped metal bands into a smaller diameter and reassemble.

Thanks!

Tamiya servo savers are junk. Just get a mid sized kimbrough one (Or a variant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJS414 View Post

After playing with a T4 and and a BD7, I cant really see what you mean? The suspension on those kits is no way more advanced that TRF kits, if anything these cars suspension set-ups are becoming more similar to the TRF ones.

Dont get me wrong, I like new stuff, innovation etc but the TRF kits have just refined their suspension, lowering king pins, shortening the arms etc.

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #4822
Tech Adept

Hi all,
I drive just today my trf 417 on a small technical track with med-high grip,
how is possible that to run the car properly I had to take white tamiya spring front and rear? I tried evrything but the only way to avoid a slippy car was hardening spring. Now I'm running smokem fx with x upper deck, I should buy something stiffer?

2nd question, In the photo of wilk's car the carbon fiber used for the upper
and lower deck is different, do you think is stiffer or more flexible?
Thanks for help
NItrox416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:04 AM   #4823
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NItrox416 View Post
Hi all,
I drive just today my trf 417 on a small technical track with med-high grip,
how is possible that to run the car properly I had to take white tamiya spring front and rear? I tried evrything but the only way to avoid a slippy car was hardening spring. Now I'm running smokem fx with x upper deck, I should buy something stiffer?

2nd question, In the photo of wilk's car the carbon fiber used for the upper
and lower deck is different, do you think is stiffer or more flexible?
Thanks for help
Carpet or Asphalt? Try Yokomo springs on carpet (pink/blue), HPI/Ride on asphalt.

The carbon they have is from raceberry, its stiffer from what I felt at titc. BUT they have a soft and hard weave, not sure what Viktor used. I would wait to see what Tamiya comes up with, nothing wrong with the new car anyway

Team Yokomo - Racing Performer - Sweep Racing
Yokomo_Ant3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #4824
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to sakaguchinet Send a message via AIM to sakaguchinet Send a message via Skype™ to sakaguchinet

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS LS1 View Post

Thanks!
if you are a good driver and don't care for your servo gear (Square SGE-37TB for Sanwa or SGE-36TB for Futaba):

if you don't care for replacing 51000 springs take (TGE-24TB):
http://www.sakaguchinetshop.com (Tamiya TRF related stuff)
sakaguchinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #4825
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakaguchinet View Post
Hi,

if you are a good driver and don't care for your servo gear (Square SGE-37TB for Sanwa or SGE-36TB for Futaba):

if you don't care for replacing 51000 springs take (TGE-24TB):
Hello and thanks for the input, I am a good driver who also does care for my servo gears so I still want to use
some type of servo saver on my cars.

I am already using the aluminum arm on my Tamiya saver like this so the Square equivalent will not be any advantage.

I have always used the Kimbrough Large Black HD servo saver with good luck for off-road but they are too large
in dia to work on many touring vehicles. The Med Kimbrough has never impressed me as I feel it is not as stiff
as the large model giving up steering response.

Appreciate any other input you guys have.
AE SC10 AE B4.11
Old 03-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #4826
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post

After playing with a T4 and and a BD7, I cant really see what you mean? The suspension on those kits is no way more advanced that TRF kits, if anything these cars suspension set-ups are becoming more similar to the TRF ones.

Dont get me wrong, I like new stuff, innovation etc but the TRF kits have just refined their suspension, lowering king pins, shortening the arms etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
You'd be pretty bored of other TC's then, given that most copy the geometry off of the Tam... The reason it's not changed much is because it works, simple.
Trust me when I say the Carbon fibre style arms are not all they are cracked up too be...
Yes I'm bored with most current TCs. I think the whole RC racing industry is very very conservative.

The main point is that there for sure is a lot of things that can be improved and a company with the resources of Tamiya I expect them to lead that. Yes the 417 is very refined but now it is time to take the next step.
BJS414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #4827
Tech Regular

Just curious, what would be the next step in your opinion?
AE SC10 AE B4.11
Old 03-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #4828
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3 View Post
Carpet or Asphalt? Try Yokomo springs on carpet (pink/blue), HPI/Ride on asphalt.

The carbon they have is from raceberry, its stiffer from what I felt at titc. BUT they have a soft and hard weave, not sure what Viktor used. I would wait to see what Tamiya comes up with, nothing wrong with the new car anyway
I run on asphalt I and have already tried ride springs in every stiffness but the only way to run the car good was with white tamiya, so I was thinking to stiff the chassis. Do you think the v5 one is enough hard ?
NItrox416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #4829
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's obvious Tamiya is committed to the bleeding edge of touring car racing. You'd think the team would be campaigning the World's car, but no, they're already past that and on to the next thing. Experimenting with the carbon can go on and on and on. That's the touring car world. A Tamiya is not "a car," it's a system of parts assembled for specific conditions. All of the teams are like this, though to my eye, Tamiya seems to occupy the "system" end of the spectrum more completely than most.

For the retail Tamiyaphile racer, it can be a little frustrating to figure out what is truly the latest and best and where to make the smartest investment with a finite budget. I try to just get over myself and remember that I'm a club racer who makes the occasional trip to a big race. I'm much better off sticking with last year's or two years' ago kit than constantly chasing whatever the team is trying. That way there is at least some (admittedly limited) benefit from accumulated knowledge.

If Tamiya could make just one change for the retail racer:

The arm mold!

Give us front/front and rear/rear. Or even just singles. That alone would be worth calling the new car a 418.

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store.
Stand it like a man, and give some back. --Al Swearengen
PutAwayWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #4830
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glarke View Post
Heya all,
Looking for some setup help. At current I am running David Juns 417 setup on a 417x

http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/ln...ch%20setup.pdf

Differences are that I am running ride red springs and 3mm droop all around and sorex 32's (which are run by others on our track with good traction).

Im runing 13.5 boosted and cant find any rear traction. The car is loose in the rear on and off power and I have to be very careful on the trigger finger to keep it pointed in the right direction.
Things that I have tried so far are softer springs in the rear and laying the rear shocks over - neither seemed to make any noticeable difference.
Odd, that setup should not be a handful to drive. Have you adjusted the shock angles for the X towers? It should be hole 3 front and 5 rear on the X. I also think David ran a putty diff in the front, if you are running that then a spool will be more stable.

Other things to try:
- Kit rear anti roll bar
- Anti dive
- 3.5mm rear wheelbase (with 0.5 or 1mm front)