R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2012, 02:31 AM   #4411
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 101
Default

I race on carpet during the winter, I find spool have det best forward bit and the lap times back it up.

However its something i going to test again.
Cp Grafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:37 AM   #4412
Tech Master
 
Sith Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 1,404
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Are you running on the carpet track at all? The putty diff up front was much better when I ran there last year. Just smoother and better rotation
That's where I primarily run. Haven't run Kambah yet. My current brand car, I run 200,000 in the front diff and quite like that. Haven't used putty before, but might give it a test.
__________________
Tamiya XV-01 Rally :: Tamiya FAV 2011 :: Proline Pro2 SCB
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #4413
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: santa monica / manchester
Posts: 1,247
Default

Erm, when you say putty, what sort of putty do you use? And how do you do it? Also what is the advantage over say a thick oil?

I race on carpet and use gear diffs front and rear, I only have 10k in the front and I beat cars with spools etc. I can understand that a spool is more direct than a ball diff, but a gear diff doenst really slip.
__________________
http://www.theRcRacer.com/

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #4414
Tech Master
 
DaveG28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,588
Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Default

Hi all,

I'm about to build one of the v5's and am confusing myself regarding outdrives/blades!?

I have ordered the new steel outdrives (and will be running gear diffs front and rear) and am wondering do you run blades with these? If so, will the kit blades fit or will I need the older style blades!?

Finally, if I go with kit outdrives instead, what aftermarket blades would be able to replace the new V5 ones as I believe spares are currently hard to come by of the kit ones?

I assume the difference between Ali and steel gears in the diff by the way is weight/durability?
__________________
Viper ESC's ~ Xpert Servo's ~ Sanwa Radio
DaveG28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #4415
Tech Fanatic
 
kentech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 853
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Hi all,

I'm about to build one of the v5's and am confusing myself regarding outdrives/blades!?

I have ordered the new steel outdrives (and will be running gear diffs front and rear) and am wondering do you run blades with these? If so, will the kit blades fit or will I need the older style blades!?

Finally, if I go with kit outdrives instead, what aftermarket blades would be able to replace the new V5 ones as I believe spares are currently hard to come by of the kit ones?

I assume the difference between Ali and steel gears in the diff by the way is weight/durability?
New steel outdrives only have slots for the driveshaft pins without blades.
I would run the stock new outdrives with the new 3.5mm blades. I believe by the time you have used up the 2 pairs included in the kit spare ones will be available.

There are no oftermarket 3.5mm blades available yet. But other manufacturers have 3.5mm blades on their cars and some of these might fit.

Steel gears are just for durability.
__________________
kentech.wordpress.com
kentech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #4416
Tech Master
 
Sith Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 1,404
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
For the front diff I suggest picking up a set of the steel outdrives (#54425). This will let you run the diff without blades which get destroyed quickly up front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentech View Post
New steel outdrives only have slots for the driveshaft pins without blades.

I would run the stock new outdrives with the new 3.5mm blades. I believe by the time you have used up the 2 pairs included in the kit spare ones will be available.

There are no oftermarket 3.5mm blades available yet. But other manufacturers have 3.5mm blades on their cars and some of these might fit.
I understand the issue is that we can't use the stock outdrives and 3.5mm blades because we can't buy them. Only the one available in the kit. The only Gear Diff kit available to buy seperately is the one one with the older outdrives, hence the reason to buy the steel outdrives and use no blades. Is that correct?
__________________
Tamiya XV-01 Rally :: Tamiya FAV 2011 :: Proline Pro2 SCB
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #4417
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

OK there's a bit of confusion:

I'm told the yokomo blades fit straight on, so you can use them until the tamiya 3.5mm are available

The tamiya steel outdrives take no blade, I would only use them up front where you have DCJs. They will cause some binding if used in the rear.

The old outdrives take the 3mm blade, you can get aftermarket steel versions from roche and arena that will accept the 3mm blade too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
Erm, when you say putty, what sort of putty do you use? And how do you do it? Also what is the advantage over say a thick oil?

I race on carpet and use gear diffs front and rear, I only have 10k in the front and I beat cars with spools etc. I can understand that a spool is more direct than a ball diff, but a gear diff doenst really slip.
I use the ride 70 hardness diff putty. You pack the diff completely with it, which makes a very heavy action, much heavier than even 1 million oil. It makes the car smoother turning in, but a bit less steering coming out.

10k sounds very light, but hey, if it works it works.
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #4418
Tech Adept
 
banquer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Granada (Spain)
Posts: 110
Default

Hello guys.
Do you know that the sakura zero diferential fits perfect on 417x and it's outdrives are 3,5mm width?
I'd running it last year without any issue and in Andalusian Regionals (The biggest region in south of Spain), I'd win the championship with two victorys and two seconds with this configuration.

Cheers.

http://www.touringelectricoandalucia.es/
http://www.agaerc.com
__________________
Tamiya 419
Tamiya TRF 101
MuchMore Fleta Pro - Euro - Fleta 10.5-21.5
Sanwa M12 - RX-471
http://www.agaerc.com/
banquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #4419
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 247
Default

spec r already do a 3.5mm blade that fits the tamiya driveshafts. my brother uses them on his 417 after we filed his worn diff outdrives out
scytherat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #4420
Tech Elite
 
VooDooPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Philippines
Posts: 3,715
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by banquer View Post
Hello guys.
Do you know that the sakura zero diferential fits perfect on 417x and it's outdrives are 3,5mm width?
I'd running it last year without any issue and in Andalusian Regionals (The biggest region in south of Spain), I'd win the championship with two victorys and two seconds with this configuration.

Cheers.

http://www.touringelectricoandalucia.es/
http://www.agaerc.com
yes.. i also use the XRay NT1 metal gears inside my Sakura Gear Diff...
__________________
[TRF418][TB-04Pro][FF-03Pro][M-05v2][TRF102][F-104 WGP][TT-01R TypeE]
[Cross CF-01'08][Yokomo R12][Team C TC02Evo][Team C T8E v3]
VooDooPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #4421
Tech Regular
 
Velocitygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 254
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Associated TC6 3.5mm blades fit right on and will last forever.

Steel out drives for front diff are preferred to the standard alloy with a blade as in a crash the alloy will spread open.

Cheers
__________________
Scorpion Power Systems | Awesomatix | WTF Fans
Velocitygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #4422
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocitygt View Post
Associated TC6 3.5mm blades fit right on and will last forever.

Steel out drives for front diff are preferred to the standard alloy with a blade as in a crash the alloy will spread open.

Cheers
Fix your sig
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #4423
Tech Regular
 
Velocitygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 254
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Apologies
__________________
Scorpion Power Systems | Awesomatix | WTF Fans
Velocitygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #4424
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 7
Default

When does the 417v5 come out on the U.S.?
eman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #4425
Tech Master
 
veecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,434
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Manual now online http://www.tamiya.com/japan/download.../42240-144.pdf
__________________
SMOKEM --- HIRO SEIKO --- YOKOMO
veecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saudi Arabia RC Club grizzle Manila Racers 6558 01-06-2017 08:50 AM
Tamiya TRF415 JDM_DOHC_SiR Electric On-Road 21094 03-10-2016 11:02 AM
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X academygaz Electric On-Road 10619 01-01-2015 03:36 PM
Tamiya TA05 IFS rcforum Electric On-Road 1132 12-18-2014 05:19 AM
"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors JGH Electric On-Road 1996 05-27-2014 06:28 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:53 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net