R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #4366
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: La Mirada, CA
Posts: 1,041
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
I don't think I'm loving the battery stops on the V5. I'm guessing tape will hold the battery in, but there's nothing (apart from tape) stopping the battery sliding in towards the belt at the rear. There appears to be no carbon/aluminium mounts available like on the earlier 417's.

Any tips/solutions? Or just tape?
That's partly what's keeping me from giving the V5 serious consideration. Really Tamiya? Servo mounts with a screw? One decent crash and that screw is putting a hole in your battery. The chassis looks rushed IMO. I'll stick with my 417X for now I guess.

Anyway, you might want to try just adding a weight with double stick tape under the belt, in front of the motor mount. That's how I stopped the battery from moving in on my 416.
ittjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #4367
Tech Master
 
Sith Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 1,404
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittjv View Post
That's partly what's keeping me from giving the V5 serious consideration. Really Tamiya? Servo mounts with a screw? One decent crash and that screw is putting a hole in your battery. The chassis looks rushed IMO. I'll stick with my 417X for now I guess.

Anyway, you might want to try just adding a weight with double stick tape under the belt, in front of the motor mount. That's how I stopped the battery from moving in on my 416.
There are 2 holes in the chassis just in front of the motor mount. Something could be mounted there. Doesn't help the front or the ends though
__________________
Tamiya XV-01 Rally :: Tamiya FAV 2011 :: Proline Pro2 SCB
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #4368
Tech Master
 
Sith Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 1,404
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Also looking for some low teeth count (91-93) spurs to fit. My current Xray and RR ones don't fit with the 2/3 hole formats.

These Xenon VSS ones look like they will fit: http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....oducts_id=9965 Can anyone confirm yes or no. Hoping the multiple holes round the outside will allow access to the motor mount screws.
__________________
Tamiya XV-01 Rally :: Tamiya FAV 2011 :: Proline Pro2 SCB
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #4369
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
Also looking for some low teeth count (91-93) spurs to fit. My current Xray and RR ones don't fit with the 2/3 hole formats.

These Xenon VSS ones look like they will fit: http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....oducts_id=9965 Can anyone confirm yes or no. Hoping the multiple holes round the outside will allow access to the motor mount screws.
They will fit but panaracer are better

http://rcmarket.com.hk/index.php?manufacturers_id=175

you need to use their own spacer

http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....ducts_id=12282

For the battery you can try and find the 15g tamiya weight that came with the 417x, it's what those two holes are designed for (part number is #3454382 - you always drop the leading number from the long part numbers)

http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....ducts_id=12731
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #4370
Tech Master
 
Sith Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 1,404
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
They will fit but panaracer are better

http://rcmarket.com.hk/index.php?manufacturers_id=175

you need to use their own spacer

http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....ducts_id=12282
Thanks Craig, but they it looks like they only start at 100T. Might need to try the Xenon for Blinky duties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
For the battery you can try and find the 15g tamiya weight that came with the 417x, it's what those two holes are designed for (part number is #3454382 - you always drop the leading number from the long part numbers)

http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....ducts_id=12731
I wondered whether that would fit, looked like the mounting holes weren't right -V5 are very close together. But you're saying it does fit, or just mount with double sided tape?

Cheers
__________________
Tamiya XV-01 Rally :: Tamiya FAV 2011 :: Proline Pro2 SCB
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #4371
Tech Fanatic
 
mingnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sutherland Shire
Posts: 962
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

"That's partly what's keeping me from giving the V5 serious consideration. Really Tamiya? Servo mounts with a screw? One decent crash and that screw is putting a hole in your battery. The chassis looks rushed IMO. I'll stick with my 417X for now I guess."

Have been running the servo mount/screw/spacer battery mounts in 21.5, VTA and Stock (17.5) and im not the best driver and crash regularly.

As long as the battery tape holes are sanded (no sharp edges) and a button head screw is used, no problem. BIGGEST problem was the metal/carbon type battery holders, tweaked the chassis regularly, and when some peanut runs straight into the side of car it breaks chassis as well

just my two bobs worth
__________________
---------------------------SMA The Home of GREAT Racing------------------------------
mingnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #4372
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
I wondered whether that would fit, looked like the mounting holes weren't right -V5 are very close together. But you're saying it does fit, or just mount with double sided tape?
The holes are the same 417X/V5. I'm running it in my V5
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #4373
Tech Master
 
Sith Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 1,404
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
The holes are the same 417X/V5. I'm running it in my V5
Good to know. Thanks. Might order one then. Will look a hell of a lot better than one I try to whip up myself.
__________________
Tamiya XV-01 Rally :: Tamiya FAV 2011 :: Proline Pro2 SCB
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #4374
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 258
Default

Ok so mine came in and I like

Have always wanted a 417X but never had the opportunity to get one so had to settle for this .

I can confirm that the bonus parts are the wheels.....strange though as from what I remember all TRF kits came standard with a set of wheels.......
mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #4375
Tech Regular
 
jsr555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canberra, Aus.
Posts: 352
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
Good to know. Thanks. Might order one then. Will look a hell of a lot better than one I try to whip up myself.
Did you do any work today Sith... Oh to sit at work and sort out my new RC car....
__________________
Xray T4 - Yokomo Bd7-14 - HPI Pro5 - Powered by Hobbywing

HPI RS Pro - HPI Pro 3 - ??
jsr555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #4376
Tech Regular
 
Blueman Austria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 418
Default

Hy!

I own a upgraded 417 to an X and im using the orginal 417 center Battery holder on my 2,5mm X lower deck.

I should fit the new V5 as well i think.?

Does the V5 Kit came without any battery holder or holding solution?

Greetz Rainer
__________________
_______________________________________________________________________
TT01, F104, TRF415MSXXMRE07, TB Evo5 Exoten, TB Evo6, TRF417v7, TRF 418........
Blueman Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #4377
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueman Austria View Post
Hy!

I own a upgraded 417 to an X and im using the orginal 417 center Battery holder on my 2,5mm X lower deck.

I should fit the new V5 as well i think.?

Does the V5 Kit came without any battery holder or holding solution?

Greetz Rainer
No holder like you are used to. There are two servo mounts front and back side of the pack with screws to adjust clearance and the new servo mount has a screw with spacers to stop the battery moving inwards. As pointed out already there is nothing to stop it moving inwards at the rear.....
mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #4378
Tech Master
 
Sith Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 1,404
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

These are the 3 battery holder/stops that are provided. 'Servo Mounts' front and rear with a countersunk screw in the front, plus a screw into the side of the aluminium blue Servo holder.




These are the 3 holes in the centre of the chassis. 2 close to the rear and 1 in the middle. Craig - does the centre weight you linked to earlier fit to the forward 2 holes?

__________________
Tamiya XV-01 Rally :: Tamiya FAV 2011 :: Proline Pro2 SCB
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:26 AM   #4379
Tech Fanatic
 
kentech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 852
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys, it's no harder than to put another servo mount with screw in the rearward center holes as well if you want to have a support there. This way, using the front screw in the servo mount and this rearward screw, you can even adjust the battery position sideways. Or just put a some weight there with doublesided tape, as someone already suggested. Those are 2 solutions if you do not want to buy any special part from the old car.

The battery support with servo mounts works very well, I have been using it for 2 years without one single problem. It is a very neat and simple solution that lets you adjust according to battery size (remember to leave a small gap to not tweak the car) and battery position.

Don't make a problem out of a non-problem. At least not until you have tested it.
__________________
kentech.wordpress.com
kentech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:05 AM   #4380
Tech Fanatic
 
mingnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sutherland Shire
Posts: 962
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentech View Post
Hey guys, it's no harder than to put another servo mount with screw in the rearward center holes as well if you want to have a support there. This way, using the front screw in the servo mount and this rearward screw, you can even adjust the battery position sideways. Or just put a some weight there with doublesided tape, as someone already suggested. Those are 2 solutions if you do not want to buy any special part from the old car.

The battery support with servo mounts works very well, I have been using it for 2 years without one single problem. It is a very neat and simple solution that lets you adjust according to battery size (remember to leave a small gap to not tweak the car) and battery position.

Don't make a problem out of a non-problem. At least not until you have tested it.
+ 1
first time i saw it on Craig's chassis i was dubious as well, until i tried it. More than 6 months using this method and never an issue.
__________________
---------------------------SMA The Home of GREAT Racing------------------------------
mingnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saudi Arabia RC Club grizzle Manila Racers 6558 01-06-2017 08:50 AM
Tamiya TRF415 JDM_DOHC_SiR Electric On-Road 21094 03-10-2016 11:02 AM
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X academygaz Electric On-Road 10619 01-01-2015 03:36 PM
Tamiya TA05 IFS rcforum Electric On-Road 1132 12-18-2014 05:19 AM
"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors JGH Electric On-Road 1996 05-27-2014 06:28 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:40 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net