R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #4366
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
I don't think I'm loving the battery stops on the V5. I'm guessing tape will hold the battery in, but there's nothing (apart from tape) stopping the battery sliding in towards the belt at the rear. There appears to be no carbon/aluminium mounts available like on the earlier 417's.

Any tips/solutions? Or just tape?
That's partly what's keeping me from giving the V5 serious consideration. Really Tamiya? Servo mounts with a screw? One decent crash and that screw is putting a hole in your battery. The chassis looks rushed IMO. I'll stick with my 417X for now I guess.

Anyway, you might want to try just adding a weight with double stick tape under the belt, in front of the motor mount. That's how I stopped the battery from moving in on my 416.
ittjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #4367
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittjv View Post
That's partly what's keeping me from giving the V5 serious consideration. Really Tamiya? Servo mounts with a screw? One decent crash and that screw is putting a hole in your battery. The chassis looks rushed IMO. I'll stick with my 417X for now I guess.

Anyway, you might want to try just adding a weight with double stick tape under the belt, in front of the motor mount. That's how I stopped the battery from moving in on my 416.
There are 2 holes in the chassis just in front of the motor mount. Something could be mounted there. Doesn't help the front or the ends though
Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #4368
Tech Master

Also looking for some low teeth count (91-93) spurs to fit. My current Xray and RR ones don't fit with the 2/3 hole formats.

These Xenon VSS ones look like they will fit: http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....oducts_id=9965 Can anyone confirm yes or no. Hoping the multiple holes round the outside will allow access to the motor mount screws.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #4369
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Also looking for some low teeth count (91-93) spurs to fit. My current Xray and RR ones don't fit with the 2/3 hole formats.

These Xenon VSS ones look like they will fit: http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....oducts_id=9965 Can anyone confirm yes or no. Hoping the multiple holes round the outside will allow access to the motor mount screws.
They will fit but panaracer are better

http://rcmarket.com.hk/index.php?manufacturers_id=175

you need to use their own spacer

http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....ducts_id=12282

For the battery you can try and find the 15g tamiya weight that came with the 417x, it's what those two holes are designed for (part number is #3454382 - you always drop the leading number from the long part numbers)

http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....ducts_id=12731
Old 12-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #4370
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
They will fit but panaracer are better

http://rcmarket.com.hk/index.php?manufacturers_id=175

you need to use their own spacer

http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....ducts_id=12282
Thanks Craig, but they it looks like they only start at 100T. Might need to try the Xenon for Blinky duties.

Quote:
For the battery you can try and find the 15g tamiya weight that came with the 417x, it's what those two holes are designed for (part number is #3454382 - you always drop the leading number from the long part numbers)

http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....ducts_id=12731
I wondered whether that would fit, looked like the mounting holes weren't right -V5 are very close together. But you're saying it does fit, or just mount with double sided tape?

Cheers
Old 12-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #4371
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

"That's partly what's keeping me from giving the V5 serious consideration. Really Tamiya? Servo mounts with a screw? One decent crash and that screw is putting a hole in your battery. The chassis looks rushed IMO. I'll stick with my 417X for now I guess."

Have been running the servo mount/screw/spacer battery mounts in 21.5, VTA and Stock (17.5) and im not the best driver and crash regularly.

As long as the battery tape holes are sanded (no sharp edges) and a button head screw is used, no problem. BIGGEST problem was the metal/carbon type battery holders, tweaked the chassis regularly, and when some peanut runs straight into the side of car it breaks chassis as well

just my two bobs worth
Old 12-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #4372
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
I wondered whether that would fit, looked like the mounting holes weren't right -V5 are very close together. But you're saying it does fit, or just mount with double sided tape?
The holes are the same 417X/V5. I'm running it in my V5
Old 12-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #4373
Tech Master

Quote:
The holes are the same 417X/V5. I'm running it in my V5
Good to know. Thanks. Might order one then. Will look a hell of a lot better than one I try to whip up myself.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #4374
Tech Regular

Ok so mine came in and I like

Have always wanted a 417X but never had the opportunity to get one so had to settle for this .

I can confirm that the bonus parts are the wheels.....strange though as from what I remember all TRF kits came standard with a set of wheels.......
mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #4375
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Good to know. Thanks. Might order one then. Will look a hell of a lot better than one I try to whip up myself.
Did you do any work today Sith... Oh to sit at work and sort out my new RC car....

HPI RS Pro - HPI Pro 3 - ??
jsr555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #4376
Tech Regular

Hy!

I own a upgraded 417 to an X and im using the orginal 417 center Battery holder on my 2,5mm X lower deck.

I should fit the new V5 as well i think.?

Does the V5 Kit came without any battery holder or holding solution?

Greetz Rainer
Old 12-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #4377
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueman Austria View Post
Hy!

I own a upgraded 417 to an X and im using the orginal 417 center Battery holder on my 2,5mm X lower deck.

I should fit the new V5 as well i think.?

Does the V5 Kit came without any battery holder or holding solution?

Greetz Rainer
No holder like you are used to. There are two servo mounts front and back side of the pack with screws to adjust clearance and the new servo mount has a screw with spacers to stop the battery moving inwards. As pointed out already there is nothing to stop it moving inwards at the rear.....
mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #4378
Tech Master

These are the 3 battery holder/stops that are provided. 'Servo Mounts' front and rear with a countersunk screw in the front, plus a screw into the side of the aluminium blue Servo holder.

These are the 3 holes in the centre of the chassis. 2 close to the rear and 1 in the middle. Craig - does the centre weight you linked to earlier fit to the forward 2 holes?

Old 12-07-2012, 02:26 AM   #4379
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys, it's no harder than to put another servo mount with screw in the rearward center holes as well if you want to have a support there. This way, using the front screw in the servo mount and this rearward screw, you can even adjust the battery position sideways. Or just put a some weight there with doublesided tape, as someone already suggested. Those are 2 solutions if you do not want to buy any special part from the old car.

The battery support with servo mounts works very well, I have been using it for 2 years without one single problem. It is a very neat and simple solution that lets you adjust according to battery size (remember to leave a small gap to not tweak the car) and battery position.

Don't make a problem out of a non-problem. At least not until you have tested it.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:05 AM   #4380
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentech View Post
Hey guys, it's no harder than to put another servo mount with screw in the rearward center holes as well if you want to have a support there. This way, using the front screw in the servo mount and this rearward screw, you can even adjust the battery position sideways. Or just put a some weight there with doublesided tape, as someone already suggested. Those are 2 solutions if you do not want to buy any special part from the old car.

The battery support with servo mounts works very well, I have been using it for 2 years without one single problem. It is a very neat and simple solution that lets you adjust according to battery size (remember to leave a small gap to not tweak the car) and battery position.

Don't make a problem out of a non-problem. At least not until you have tested it.
+ 1
first time i saw it on Craig's chassis i was dubious as well, until i tried it. More than 6 months using this method and never an issue.