R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #3976
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 236
Default

Anyone know what size the standard driveshaft blades are, if so does anyone use anything other than the tamiya ones
scytherat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #3977
Tech Elite
 
2-Bad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,725
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scytherat View Post
Anyone know what size the standard driveshaft blades are, if so does anyone use anything other than the tamiya ones
SpecR 3.0mm Drive Shaft Blades
__________________
Yokomo * G Force * Sanwa * SMC * ProSpec
2-Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #3978
Tech Fanatic
 
daleburr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
The 417 is a lot more rear biased than the tc6. The motor, and battery are a good 6-8 mm further back than on the tc6. The rsd6 is somewhere in between as the battery can be moved back 5mm vs the tc6. Geometry wise the 6.1 arms are almost a copy from the trf ones, but the upper rear hub position is 2-3mm further out in the 6.1

Diff position is also another thing that is different as well. The tc6's diffs are either higher than the lowest 417 or a bit higher. I feel like it lacks an in between position.

Lastly, the wheelbase is a lot longer on the tc6 in std setting.

At the moment, they are both fast, very similar laptimes. The rsd6 feels more locked in on the track, while the 417 feels like it has more corner speed, however the lap times come out so close it's not funny.

I am trying to replicate the geometry of the 417 on the rsd6 to see what the effect on the car is. The rsd6 is narrower and the motor does not overhang as far out. So it will be interesting to ser what happens.
Thanks for the info. I tried exactly the same with my TC6 when I picked up a used XRay T3'11 to copy. I copied everything it was possible to (RCs, track width, wheelbase, WD, toe, shock positions, diff heights etc) and it still handled nothing like the XRay! So much of modern TC handling seems to come from the subtle things like chassis flex, steering arcs, wishbone stiffness etc it's unreal.
__________________
Team Xray
RC-Timing Software - http://www.rc-timing.com
Mercedes AMG F1 - http://www.mercedes-amg-f1.com/
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:41 AM   #3979
Tech Elite
 
RCknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,270
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Anyone know if a new 417 version is coming down the pipe? Never mind I see it's coming. Any dates?

Last edited by RCknight; 10-03-2012 at 01:50 AM. Reason: found info.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:49 AM   #3980
Tech Elite
 
RCknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,270
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhkswrx View Post
Speculation on the trf417v3 kit contents? 2.5mm hole-less lower, 2.5 mm upper, one piece servo mount, diff v3.0, aeration dampers, dcjs sounds about right.

What are aeration dampers and dcjs? Just curious.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #3981
PDR
Tech Master
 
PDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,816
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight View Post
What are aeration dampers and dcjs? Just curious.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think aeration dampers have a bleed valve and no bladder - I'm unsure of specific benefits. DCJ's are double-jointed universals, currently available as aftermarket hop-up: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=42216 - benefit here is more efficiency at higher steering throw angles.

On a side note, I see that metal gears are now an option for the gear diff: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54428
__________________
T4 | X1 | Multiple Kids
2011 Slowest Winner - 21.5 Muchmore Masters & NSW State Titles Demo Class
Making an A Main at a Scotty Ernst event. Awesome. Scotty calling you first in A1. Priceless
PDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #3982
Tech Fanatic
 
kentech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 852
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

.
__________________
kentech.wordpress.com
kentech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #3983
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR View Post
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think aeration dampers have a bleed valve and no bladder - I'm unsure of specific benefits. DCJ's are double-jointed universals, currently available as aftermarket hop-up: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=42216 - benefit here is more efficiency at higher steering throw angles.

On a side note, I see that metal gears are now an option for the gear diff: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54428
As you all know from Jilles diff build video, one is supposed to shave down the main gears to 3.75 mm or something. Guess we can't do that now with the steel gears? Perhaps Jilles will have to come up with yet another video / new method for diff building...
mhavlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #3984
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 574
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhavlena View Post
As you all know from Jilles diff build video, one is supposed to shave down the main gears to 3.75 mm or something. Guess we can't do that now with the steel gears? Perhaps Jilles will have to come up with yet another video / new method for diff building...
I would hope that these are just machined properly and do not require any filing sanding or other crap to make it work.
napoleon1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #3985
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhavlena View Post
As you all know from Jilles diff build video, one is supposed to shave down the main gears to 3.75 mm or something. Guess we can't do that now with the steel gears? Perhaps Jilles will have to come up with yet another video / new method for diff building...
Jilles shave them down to 3,57-3,56 and put 3x0,1 skims in both sides under the bevel gear. Then he puts 2x0,1 on the outer side.

Howevery I just remove the small taps from the big bevel gear, and place 1x0,3 on one side and 1x0,2 on the other. Also i place 1x0,2 on both outers sides of the gear case.
maybe thats the way to go with the new steel gears.
Cp Grafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #3986
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 101
Default

I am racing indoors this winter on sorex 28, so anyone have a good base capet setup for a 417x.

Cheers
Cp Grafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #3987
Tech Elite
 
Vicko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,023
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Anyone know where I can get the complet engine motor mounts for the 417x at
Can't seems to find then at any shop
__________________
- ? -
Vicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #3988
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicko View Post
Anyone know where I can get the complet engine motor mounts for the 417x at
Can't seems to find then at any shop
I think they will be available in 2 weeks
__________________
Adrian Clements
Team Meech
Yokomobd7 2016
Kyosho MP9E TKI
M3CSLDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #3989
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
The 417 is a lot more rear biased than the tc6. The motor, and battery are a good 6-8 mm further back than on the tc6. The rsd6 is somewhere in between as the battery can be moved back 5mm vs the tc6. Geometry wise the 6.1 arms are almost a copy from the trf ones, but the upper rear hub position is 2-3mm further out in the 6.1

Diff position is also another thing that is different as well. The tc6's diffs are either higher than the lowest 417 or a bit higher. I feel like it lacks an in between position.

Lastly, the wheelbase is a lot longer on the tc6 in std setting.

At the moment, they are both fast, very similar laptimes. The rsd6 feels more locked in on the track, while the 417 feels like it has more corner speed, however the lap times come out so close it's not funny.

I am trying to replicate the geometry of the 417 on the rsd6 to see what the effect on the car is. The rsd6 is narrower and the motor does not overhang as far out. So it will be interesting to ser what happens.
Interesting. Diff height can make a big difference. There is a certain point in diff height where the dog bone will not slide in and out of the drive cups as the suspension compresses. I think if the designer did their job this should be the low diff position on every car. Higher than this and you increase the plunge of the dog bone. On power and under braking this will cause friction that will have the effect of stiffening the suspension on the end of the car with the high diff. You can get a lot of interesting effects from this when you combine this with soft springs and various droop settings.

BTW, I am not cyber stalking you Christian...just looking for a new Sedan. Really impressed with your work!
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #3990
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quiet in here, is everyone too busy going fast?

I had a brief run with the new Smokem chassis on my spare car recently. I was really surprised not to loose on power grip because the chassis is much stiffer when flexed by hand. Compared to the X chassis it seems smoother and provides a bit more bite, but the X has a bit more low speed steering with the same setup. So a good first impression, looking forward to doing some more testing.

I also picked up some of the RSD springs, bladders, and orings so I'll get them tested and report back soon. This weekend is our state titles event so every 10th will count!
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saudi Arabia RC Club grizzle Manila Racers 6558 01-06-2017 08:50 AM
Tamiya TRF415 JDM_DOHC_SiR Electric On-Road 21094 03-10-2016 11:02 AM
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X academygaz Electric On-Road 10619 01-01-2015 03:36 PM
Tamiya TA05 IFS rcforum Electric On-Road 1132 12-18-2014 05:19 AM
"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors JGH Electric On-Road 1996 05-27-2014 06:28 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:09 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net