R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #3631
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr lee View Post
The 416WE/X and 417 share the same suspension parts so the C hubs are still the same. The standard 416 also had the same Chubs, knuckles and rear hubs but the suspension arms were different.
Actually the chubs were updated some time in the 416WE model cycle. The original hubs off the 416 were far less meaty and more brittle than the current ones, so the mould was changed but the part number stated the same
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #3632
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 42
Default

hello, i need some help, im owner of a 417x, im not an experimented driver, i want to know how to make the steering smoother cause mine is a little bit nervous.
thanks
osorron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #3633
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 3,461
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osorron View Post
hello, i need some help, im owner of a 417x, im not an experimented driver, i want to know how to make the steering smoother cause mine is a little bit nervous.
thanks
Is the steering rack properly shimmed? I had this issue when I had a 417. Jilles looked it over at 2011 snowbirds and fixed it. There is a shim not mentioned in the assembly instructions that needs to be used. It will bind up if not used.
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #3634
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison R View Post
Is the steering rack properly shimmed? I had this issue when I had a 417. Jilles looked it over at 2011 snowbirds and fixed it. There is a shim not mentioned in the assembly instructions that needs to be used. It will bind up if not used.
Which shim is that one?
osorron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:01 AM   #3635
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,083
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison R View Post
Is the steering rack properly shimmed? I had this issue when I had a 417. Jilles looked it over at 2011 snowbirds and fixed it. There is a shim not mentioned in the assembly instructions that needs to be used. It will bind up if not used.
I build my steering assembly by the book and it couldn't be any smoother.
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #3636
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 3,461
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
I build my steering assembly by the book and it couldn't be any smoother.
417 or 417x? I had the 417. I built mine by the book too. It tightened up about half lock. Just my personal experience
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #3637
Tech Master
 
rosko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,068
Default

Wonder how long for the 418 wc car to hit the shelves
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #3638
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Actually the chubs were updated some time in the 416WE model cycle. The original hubs off the 416 were far less meaty and more brittle than the current ones, so the mould was changed but the part number stated the same
Thanks, good to know.
mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #3639
Tech Elite
 
PutAwayWet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,347
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko View Post
Wonder how long for the 418 wc car to hit the shelves
Unless there's a change to the screw pattern of the bulkheads (ie. new bulkheads), I don't expect there to be a 418. Every significant change I've seen since the 417 has come out has been in manipulating flex through different decks. That, and including gear diffs in the kit. Unless I'm mistaken, I see kit bulkheads on Jilles' car. Even the new servo mount looks like it's simply retrofitted to an existing deck. The outside mount hole is still there. 417 WC kit...absolutely. I don't see why it would be a 418, however.

A sharper-eyed person may come to a different conclusion...
__________________
Todd Mason
Seattle RC Racers

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store.
Stand it like a man, and give some back. --Al Swearengen
PutAwayWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #3640
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,083
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison R View Post
417 or 417x? I had the 417. I built mine by the book too. It tightened up about half lock. Just my personal experience
417x, same car the guy you responded to is running.
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #3641
Tech Elite
 
artwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,062
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko View Post
Wonder how long for the 418 wc car to hit the shelves
I think it is more likely to see a 417 World Championship edition...I would not expect a 418 until next year at the earliest. Unless they move the bulkeds and have to redrill the bulked holes in the chassis, then you won't see the number increment to 418.
__________________
Xray | Hudy | Sanwa | R1 Wurks | Avid | Protoform | Proline | 2mm Designs
artwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:35 AM   #3642
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

I wonder if the new car will come with 0.5mm shims for under all the bulkheads?

Can any trainspotters out there figure out what damper cylinders they used at the worlds? I thought they were the TRF buggy ones but the buggy HL dampers won't take the blue lower cap - their lower shock cap is an insert style.

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-42132-c...h=595_744_1011
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #3643
Tech Champion
 
RC MARKET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 6,138
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

TAMIYA new lower deck 2.5mm arrived
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TRF417-ta-42232.jpg  
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:10 AM   #3644
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
TAMIYA new lower deck 2.5mm arrived
What about the new Tamiya upper deck? Will you be getting those in soon as well?
Thx!
mhavlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #3645
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
I wonder if the new car will come with 0.5mm shims for under all the bulkheads?

Can any trainspotters out there figure out what damper cylinders they used at the worlds? I thought they were the TRF buggy ones but the buggy HL dampers won't take the blue lower cap - their lower shock cap is an insert style.

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-42132-c...h=595_744_1011
Possibly a prototype....

They do not look like anything else that is currently available.
mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saudi Arabia RC Club grizzle Manila Racers 6558 01-06-2017 08:50 AM
Tamiya TRF415 JDM_DOHC_SiR Electric On-Road 21094 03-10-2016 11:02 AM
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X academygaz Electric On-Road 10619 01-01-2015 03:36 PM
Tamiya TA05 IFS rcforum Electric On-Road 1132 12-18-2014 05:19 AM
"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors JGH Electric On-Road 1996 05-27-2014 06:28 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:35 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net