Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhkswrx View Post
why?
The car works better without it...
Old 06-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #3317
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
The car works better without it...

Stiffness? binding? weight? I am lost...

It isn't in the TRF417 or TRF417x manual. The TRF416X does have the alum one shown...

Reason I am asking is I JUST received my 417x and want my chassis to be stiffer. Not interested in the Exotek extra hard chassis, I need the extra cooling(I live in Florida and run boosted) I may buy the top deck once it is avail stiffer...

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #3318
Tech Elite

Quote:

It isn't in the TRF417 or TRF417x manual. The TRF416X does have the alum one shown...

Reason I am asking is I JUST received my 417x and want my chassis to be stiffer. Not interested in the Exotek extra hard chassis, I need the extra cooling(I live in Florida and run boosted) I may buy the top deck once it is avail stiffer...
Ugg...what is the car doing on the track that makes you believe you need a stiffer chassis and top deck? If you are running the right tires for the track conditions and have a good outdoor setup the car will work just fine. Stop over-thinking this...you have been posting for weeks about wanting certain types of chassis and top decks and I just don't get it.

What is your setup?
What tires are you running?
How are you preparing your tires before the race?
What symptoms are you seeing in the car or with the setup?
What body are you running?
Is the car mechanically OK?
Old 06-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #3319
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:

Section 9 of the 417 manual carbon steering brace!

The centre hole lines up with the topdeck!
bjspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #3320
Tech Master

Quote:
Ugg...what is the car doing on the track that makes you believe you need a stiffer chassis and top deck? If you are running the right tires for the track conditions and have a good outdoor setup the car will work just fine. Stop over-thinking this...you have been posting for weeks about wanting certain types of chassis and top decks and I just don't get it.

What is your setup?
+1
run the car first as-is and then decide what you need or you might end up spending more than you need to. Talking from experience.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #3321
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx

Quote:

What is your setup?
Ugh!

I have been asking questions before purchasing to make sure #1 tgat the chassis is right for my use. #2 if there are holes, and the manual isn't showing use, I am curious.

I am no noob that just asks q's to ask, I purchased a TA06 to find out it is horrible on carpet. It's a chassis that was bred for unprepared asphalt. I coughed quite a bit of coin into it (exotek conversion after all else failed)and wanted to make sure history does not repeat itself. If you wish me to site all my sources for my research, I can. Apparently the 417 is the best for carpet until the new stiffer 417x chassis came out. Being as how you guys have been racing the chassis for a while now, I thought I can forecast characteristics.

I am running 17.5 boosted tc rubber tire on traction compound soaked carpet. High traction is an understatement. As I am pricing it together, I am asking these q's so I know what to expect. I just need a good baseline and I have read all over the net that a stiffer 417x is best. I will start there then make adjustments.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #3322
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
+1
run the car first as-is and then decide what you need or you might end up spending more than you need to. Talking from experience.
I've just researched and read that it needs to be stiffer for carpet. Once I get it setup, I will run it and see.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #3323
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

Quote:
I've just researched and read that it needs to be stiffer for carpet. Once I get it setup, I will run it and see.
tamiya is offering a 2.5mm lower and upper deck as a option
Old 06-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #3324
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjspinner View Post
Section 9 of the 417 manual carbon steering brace!

The centre hole lines up with the topdeck!
http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/42184ml.pdf

Section 9 only shows install of support, not support to upperdeck. Someone mentioned 3mm spacer and I'll check when I get home.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #3325
Tech Elite

Quote:
Ugh!

I have been asking questions before purchasing to make sure #1 tgat the chassis is right for my use. #2 if there are holes, and the manual isn't showing use, I am curious.

I am no noob that just asks q's to ask, I purchased a TA06 to find out it is horrible on carpet. It's a chassis that was bred for unprepared asphalt. I coughed quite a bit of coin into it (exotek conversion after all else failed)and wanted to make sure history does not repeat itself. If you wish me to site all my sources for my research, I can. Apparently the 417 is the best for carpet until the new stiffer 417x chassis came out. Being as how you guys have been racing the chassis for a while now, I thought I can forecast characteristics.

I am running 17.5 boosted tc rubber tire on traction compound soaked carpet. High traction is an understatement. As I am pricing it together, I am asking these q's so I know what to expect. I just need a good baseline and I have read all over the net that a stiffer 417x is best. I will start there then make adjustments.
The TA06 chassis is like comparing apples to oranges against the 417X. The 417X is a competition level chassis that can handle the fastest of motors on varying types of conditions.

Use this setup exactly (except for motor) and go drive the car...you will be surprised how good it is...

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/tami...012/index.html
Old 06-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #3326
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Section 9 only shows install of support, not support to upperdeck. Someone mentioned 3mm spacer and I'll check when I get home.
If you want to attach the carbon steering brace to the upper deck I believe you have to use the aluminium part you put inside the steering bearings (steering post part nr 13454760), a 3mm shim will be too small.

BR Steffan
Steffanchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #3327
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffanchr View Post
If you want to attach the carbon steering brace to the upper deck I believe you have to use the aluminium part you put inside the steering bearings (steering post part nr 13454760), a 3mm shim will be too small.

BR Steffan
It was one or more shims there was no specific part made for this.

Look in the Gilles thread the answer is somewhere in there as to what the team drivers were doing.
bjspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:17 AM   #3328
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

hi again guys, i'm having issues raising the front ride height of my car. the back adjusts well to tuning with the calipers but the front wont lift. all my shocks are exactly the same length but my front is stuck at 4mm. is this common? where could i be going wrong?
svndayNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:49 AM   #3329
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svndayNZ View Post
hi again guys, i'm having issues raising the front ride height of my car. the back adjusts well to tuning with the calipers but the front wont lift. all my shocks are exactly the same length but my front is stuck at 4mm. is this common? where could i be going wrong?
either your droop screws are hitting the chassis or your shock lengths are wrong

or your tyres are too small
Old 06-26-2012, 04:42 AM   #3330
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
either your droop screws are hitting the chassis or your shock lengths are wrong

or your tyres are too small
Cheers Craig my shocks are the right length and wheels and tyres are fine. I think you're right it's the droop screw. I've set the front droop to 6 for my local track, what would be the better process for setting ride height then droop? Or other way around
svndayNZ is offline   Reply With Quote