Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Very nice, as always Rod.

What color is that ?
A whole can of PS-49 backed with silver
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #2522
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to ngo8

Ran the X today on carpet being pretty grippy 17.5 boosted .. i did alot things i wanted to try with it today and had some success with some pretty fast and consistent laps......... first thing the original 417 top deck helps a ton it doesnt over grip in the front and setles the car alot then i ran the front shocks 3rd hole from the bottom that made the car really smooth entering corners also the thickest swaybar from the option kit also very good solid c block in the front.. split block in the rear seems to be the sweet spot also on the steering rack run the graphite peice all these things settle the car down alot ..On the gear diff i tryed 900 way to soft then put in xray 2000 cst much much better then i said ok ill try 3000 and the car loved it the most it was amazing with 3000 oil very easy to drive all around ....rest of the set up shock oil 450f/400 r muchmore, droop 5mmf/4mmr ,shock position 3rd hole from the bottom front and rear, and the fatter shim in the front wheels thinner in the rear and blue/white carpet spings normal thing with tamiyas ...this set up to made car car smooth and easy to drive i hope it gives some of you guys an idea on where to start hope it helps
Old 01-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #2523
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

NGO: did you use oneway?
hotdognobun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #2524
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdognobun View Post
NGO: did you use oneway?
Spool up front if the layout is to technical I'll throw in a front gear diff with ofna diff lock.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #2525
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampracer View Post
Can you use the new 417X motor mount on the old 417 chassis?

Are the holes the same?

Thanks Greg G
Same & instock !!

http://rcmarket.com.hk/
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TRF417-ta-13454829.jpg   Tamiya TRF417-ta-13454830.jpg   Tamiya TRF417-ta-13454831.jpg  
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #2526
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

would making the rear upper link longer make the rear more stable, on the 417x, trying to get it to handle on a high bite carpet, where i race i was told that the 417x is designed for tarmac, and not carpet, so should i give up and just buy another car, or can this car be made to be as fast as the xrays on carpet, i know its also the driver, but the foundation has to be there as well, I don,t want to spend hours and money to make something do what it was made not to do, I have posted my setup earlier, but will try the new changes mentioned here, hopefullf the car will work for me.
zaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #2527
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaraz View Post
would making the rear upper link longer make the rear more stable, on the 417x, trying to get it to handle on a high bite carpet, where i race i was told that the 417x is designed for tarmac, and not carpet, so should i give up and just buy another car, or can this car be made to be as fast as the xrays on carpet, i know its also the driver, but the foundation has to be there as well, I don,t want to spend hours and money to make something do what it was made not to do, I have posted my setup earlier, but will try the new changes mentioned here, hopefullf the car will work for me.
One thing i forgot to mention run the longest camber holes ....and you should run whatever car you like the 417 is an excellent car on carpet, with the right set up any car out there works great just set it up and drive it
Old 01-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #2528
Tech Master

My 417 (NotX) is great on Carpet and foams. Solid motor mount, long links 450 oil front and rear. White front, blue rear.

Split blocks front and rear. (sometimes solid front if it is to aggressive). carbon steering brace, Original top deck. (I swap to a cut top deck the same as a 417x if the carpet is low grip).

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G

Last edited by Qatmix; 01-02-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #2529
Tech Initiate

Quote:

try solid blocks front, split blocks in rear. you may also want to try and put the 417 top deck and the little CF brace for the bell cranks to stiffen up the front of your car.

HTH
ShrewdRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #2530
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

i have ordered the 417 top deck, and the carbon brace, on the 417x the hole for the middle battery in the front and the belt tensioner on the top deck match, I intalled a post there to stiffen up the car, will this help of should i just remove it, and from pictures the 417 top deck has a hole in the back by the motor mount and there is a matching hole on the bottom chassis, when the 417 deck comes in should i add a post there to stiffen up the chassis, or do i want flex in the rear and should not add any post there as well, and lastly do i need to add a post from the carbon steering brace to the top deck as well, how stiff do i need to make the car, as there are several postions where the top deck and the bottom chassis can be connected, to reduce flex
any recommenditions or input regarding connecting the decks
zaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #2531
Tech Master

Quote:
i have ordered the 417 top deck, and the carbon brace, on the 417x the hole for the middle battery in the front and the belt tensioner on the top deck match, I intalled a post there to stiffen up the car, will this help of should i just remove it, and from pictures the 417 top deck has a hole in the back by the motor mount and there is a matching hole on the bottom chassis, when the 417 deck comes in should i add a post there to stiffen up the chassis, or do i want flex in the rear and should not add any post there as well, and lastly do i need to add a post from the carbon steering brace to the top deck as well, how stiff do i need to make the car, as there are several postions where the top deck and the bottom chassis can be connected, to reduce flex
You can try in the front but dont bother in the back .
Old 01-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #2532
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Regarding high traction, I've found my car to be better balanced with the cut top deck, and using one-piece blocks front and rear. Although I do still use the steering brace.

Other things I would look at are less rear droop helps to keep the steering in check as well, D/C blocks on the front, raise the front blocks by 0.5mm, and run 1.5mm shim behind the front arm (+2.5mm on the steering ackerman)

Oh, and don't forget to remove the foam pieces from the top of the shocks, has a big effect on how the car works on carpet.

HiH
Ed
Old 01-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #2533
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (99%+)
Default SPlit rear blocks

Quick question....when using the split blocks in the rear, what are people using for spacers? Cutting the long spacers that are used for the one piece blocks?

Thanks Greg G
Swampracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #2534
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Quick question....when using the split blocks in the rear, what are people using for spacers? Cutting the long spacers that are used for the one piece blocks?

Thanks Greg G
I just use regular .5mm shims
Pinionizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #2535
Tech Initiate

Quote:

Thanks Greg G
i use the regular blue and silver spacers for roll center adjustments.

Quote:
generally, stiff = less traction. so in your case you want your front to be stiffer than your rear. but i've read other people's post that they run the 417X box stock and does well on rug.. so i'm not really sure you have problems with setup. have you checked other parts of your car, gear diffs or tires for example?
ShrewdRacer is offline   Reply With Quote