The past few weekends I've been off practising hard in preparation for the Hobbywing Cup in a few weeks. Pretty much the unoffical chinese nationals, with drivers coming from all over the country to compete, so it's going to be pretty big event.
Anyway, been running through a lot of different combinations of setups, and thought I'd share some more of my findings...
Cut top deck and no steering brace are working great. Gives more rear traction, which is perfect for modified. Still yet to try the split blocks (can't find 1XA's for the life of me anywhere!), but the car is working very well in this configuration.
Wheelbase back is also another thing that has helped, simply gives more steering. Using 0.5mm behind the front arm, and 3.5mm in front of the rear (like Marc and Jilles at the ETS), and also 1.5mm on the ackerman spacer. Simply gets through the turn better, without being unstable.
Lowering the inner camber links has also given a better feel, with better corner speed (4mmF, 3mmR), although this may be more track specific... there are a few long turns on the track at the moment that mean corner speed is key.
Drag brake... best find of the day was going from 5% to 10% drag brake on the speedo. Made the whole run much more consistent, and I could happily nail the tricky tightening first turn much easier with no stepping out
I've been playing around with a lot of different settings on the rear to try and get the rotation I want as well. With the almost standard rear setup (0.5mm suspension block shims, 1XA/1E, middle hole 3mm camber link, hole 2 shock tower), the rear of the car just didn't rotate enough in the middle, so losing time waiting to get on the throttle.
Started out by raising the rear block using 0.7mm shims, and going to 4mm on the camber link, but keeping everything else the same. It was better, with but a little too unstable on the rear if pushed too hard. Traction was good however, so I made a slight change mid-run to 3.5mm on the rear camber link, which again was close, but still not quite there.
Next run I tried out 1mm on the suspension blocks (bearing in mind the fronts are on the chassis, which is probably as big a split as I'd ever want to run) with 4mm under the camber link. Now the balance was really good, and at the start I thought great, got the setup I want... until about 4mins in when the rears started to overheat
By the end of 8mins, it was very difficult to drive, so losing all the benefit of the start of the run. Honestly, I'm not too surprised, as the difference in terms of front and rear roll centre is probably too big, and leads to working the rears too hard. Forward traction was very good though...
Next run, went back to 0.5mm blocks (in an effort to keep the F-R diff smaller), 3mm on the camber link, and hole 1 on the rear tower... Again a little loose, so mid run change to 3.5mm camber link, and spot on. Stayed consistent for the rest of the run, and the whole of the next.
Also found some good things in terms of additive, but I'm keeping that under my hat until the race meeting
Overall, very happy... feel I'm getting more and more out of the car at the moment, and just getting quicker. Shooting for the A at the HW Cup... will be tough, but should be able to do it!