R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 08-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #1816
Tech Rookie

hey guys

making a switch from schumacher to tamiya and was just looking for some advice on what to get with the car, at the minute i have the usual spares but cant seem to find the right suspension arms, does anyone have a part number handy for them?

also looking to buy the split suspension mounts but i have no idea which ones to get and what comes standard on the car. im guessing its 1A/1XA and 1C/1XC but its purely a guess

any help appreciated
cheers
boon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #1817
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mugen10 Send a message via Skype™ to Mugen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
hey guys

making a switch from schumacher to tamiya and was just looking for some advice on what to get with the car, at the minute i have the usual spares but cant seem to find the right suspension arms, does anyone have a part number handy for them?

also looking to buy the split suspension mounts but i have no idea which ones to get and what comes standard on the car. im guessing its 1A/1XA and 1C/1XC but its purely a guess

any help appreciated
cheers

The suspension mounts that come with the car works great for most track. I run the stock mounts on a high bite carpet track and it works fine. Most setups that you see use the stock mounts. So I would buy other things other then mounts.
Mugen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #1818
Tech Rookie

was hoping the car worked well with them

just out of curiousity, what are the stock mounts?
Old 08-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #1819
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Damnit Man

I have been going through hub carriers like crazy. Has anyone tried the softer ones that come on the TA05? Or are there other options like aluminum carriers? I know I need to just stop hitting stuff, but there has to be some room for error without breaking. I never broke a single plastic part on my Xrays I was running for over a year.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #1820
Tech Rookie

aluminium is never the answer mate, if u have alu hub carriers your just going to break arms instead
Old 08-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #1821
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
aluminium is never the answer mate, if u have alu hub carriers your just going to break arms instead
Yeah I know, aluminum also will bend slightly and not bend back, making even more problems. Plus the effects of high unsprung weight is not good either. I just ordered a couple sets of softer non carbon reinforced hub carriers from the TA05. I just hope they are not too soft, and end up affecting castor under high speed or hard cornering.

Edit, I should also add that I am running on a tight carpet track. The hub carriers are breaking from the occasional tap on the flappers.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #1822
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnit Man View Post
Yeah I know, aluminum also will bend slightly and not bend back, making even more problems. Plus the effects of high unsprung weight is not good either. I just ordered a couple sets of softer non carbon reinforced hub carriers from the TA05. I just hope they are not too soft, and end up affecting castor under high speed or hard cornering.

Edit, I should also add that I am running on a tight carpet track. The hub carriers are breaking from the occasional tap on the flappers.
i've used the plastic caster blocks and they hold up quite well.
M3CSLDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #1823
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3CSLDreamin View Post
i've used the plastic caster blocks and they hold up quite well.
Plastic as in the stock carbon reinforced composite, or the softer plastic ones I am asking about from the TA05? I am finding the stock carbon reinforced composite pieces to be too fragile.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #1824
Tech Champion

Quote:
I have been going through hub carriers like crazy. Has anyone tried the softer ones that come on the TA05? Or are there other options like aluminum carriers? I know I need to just stop hitting stuff, but there has to be some room for error without breaking. I never broke a single plastic part on my Xrays I was running for over a year.
The Ta05 one's work well. Deffiently softer than the stock parts, so do resist breaking much better... but aren't as stiff, so you loose a little in the steering response department.

I do agree that alloy is not the way to go. If your hitting stuff, then it will bend, and you might not notice it causing funny handling. Better, IMO, for the part to break and be sure!

HiH
Ed
Old 08-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #1825
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
The Ta05 one's work well. Deffiently softer than the stock parts, so do resist breaking much better... but aren't as stiff, so you loose a little in the steering response department.

I do agree that alloy is not the way to go. If your hitting stuff, then it will bend, and you might not notice it causing funny handling. Better, IMO, for the part to break and be sure!

HiH
Ed
Thank you for the detailed response! I have no issues with the stock pieces when running on asphalt larger tracks, but when it comes to the less forgiving tight carpet tracks I end up having issues with hub carriers breaking, even with a slight tap on a flapper. I will try out the softer hub carriers, and see how they work out. Since I have a TA05 and know how soft the hub carriers are on it(maybe too soft), I just wish there was a compound in the middle of it and the carbon reinforced ones.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #1826
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

So you guys won't run aluminum c-hubs 'cause you're scared they might bend, but you're okay running the rubber TA05 bits that flex 20 degrees with no load at all?

Put the Square aluminum c-hubs on there along with the Parma T2 bumper and you'll never break anything up front unless you catch your axle on something. Just watch for the edges of the bumper rubbing and upsetting the car in sweepers.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #1827
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
So you guys won't run aluminum c-hubs 'cause you're scared they might bend, but you're okay running the rubber TA05 bits that flex 20 degrees with no load at all?

Put the Square aluminum c-hubs on there along with the Parma T2 bumper and you'll never break anything up front unless you catch your axle on something. Just watch for the edges of the bumper rubbing and upsetting the car in sweepers.
I would be happy with something in the middle of the stock reinforced piece and the way too flexible piece. Since that is not available, I am open to ideas. Where can I find the "Square aluminum c-hubs" from? I thought the front bumper was already hard compared to my previous experience with the hard front bumper I had on my t3'11s, but I will go ahead an pick up a Parma bumper and try it out. Maybe the harder bumper is all that is needed?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #1828
Tech Regular

Quote:
Plastic as in the stock carbon reinforced composite, or the softer plastic ones I am asking about from the TA05? I am finding the stock carbon reinforced composite pieces to be too fragile.
Yes the TA05 parts.
M3CSLDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #1829
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The T2 bumper makes a huge difference, but you'll still break the composite c-hubs on a good hit. It's thicker than the stock, so you'll want to put some shims in the gap between the CF plate that goes on top and where the screws go into the plastic. You might needs to trim some of the holes just a bit, but it's a pretty close fit.

I always buy the Square c-hubs at RCMARKET. The TA05 ones will definitely solve your breakage issues, and for cheap. I'd try the stock with a new bumper, and if that doesn't work, see if the play in the TA05 hubs bother you. The Square's would be the last thing I'd try since they're the most expensive.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #1830
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
The T2 bumper makes a huge difference, but you'll still break the composite c-hubs on a good hit. It's thicker than the stock, so you'll want to put some shims in the gap between the CF plate that goes on top and where the screws go into the plastic. You might needs to trim some of the holes just a bit, but it's a pretty close fit.

I always buy the Square c-hubs at RCMARKET. The TA05 ones will definitely solve your breakage issues, and for cheap. I'd try the stock with a new bumper, and if that doesn't work, see if the play in the TA05 hubs bother you. The Square's would be the last thing I'd try since they're the most expensive.
Thanks for the help. I will try the hard bumper first then. I had tried the hub carriers from the TA05 out already, and thought they made me .1-.2 slower a lap and was slightly inconsistent, but to a point I couldn't tell if it was all just mental or not. If I still end up snapping them as often with the hard bumper I will try the alloy ones out then. Thanks again for the help!