So, this past weekend I had a decent outing with the 7, tried a few more things from my last big posting (sorry Mr Smith, I know it was a long one!
Anyway, managed to finish fourth in the end, tied on points with the guy in third. Pretty pleased with that, as it was a fair representation of my pace, was a little behind him pace wise, and just had better luck in the finals.
As for settings I ran through the following things;
I did try first out with the 4F/3R mm camber link shims, but the track wasn't quite there in the morning, so straight away went back to 5F/4R. Just better really... with hindsight this is something I should have looked to go back too later in the day, but ran out of runs!
1.5mm Ackerman spacer - certainly helped to calm the overall level of steering a little, and helped to make the steering more responsive in the quick flicks in the chicanes. Bare in mind however that I am running the front arms back (1mm behind) and with 1° sweep, so it's pretty close to using to 2.5mm when used with 1.5mm behind the arm, and no sweep (kit setting).
Static weight forward 0.5mm. Did this by changing the spacers on the arms to 0.5mm behind the front, and 3.5mm in front of the rear. I did make a mistake here however, as I also changed the Ackerman spacer to 1mm in compensation, whereas I should have changed only the wheelbase spacers. Whilst it felt fast, I couldn't drive it consistently enough, and had a weird steering fell. So I went back to as I had been running, and will add that to the list to try again.
Shock oil to Losi 45wt. Quite simply, the traction was massive, so I switched from the MM450 to the Losi as a way to stop the car pitching and rolling too fast. It worked to an extent, and was certainly less prone to flipping, but even then, I still had grip roll as the car tried to bind itself up in knots if I got too aggressive in the quick flicks. Keeping it smooth meant I could keep it on it's lid, but wasn't ultimately faster.
This has got me thinking about trying some other methods to shed traction. Looking at Jilles' setup from the Snowbirds (I know it's difficult to compare carpet with asphalt, but the traction on the track was very similar to high grip carpet) next time out I'm going to try again long on the camber links (hole 1 to 3), less link spacers (4F/3R), and less rear droop (5 to 5.5/6).
I also want to try shifting the static weight again, but this time by just moving the rear arms back (3.5mm in front of the arm), and as a slight left field am tempted to try out tamiya springs again, as well as make up a cross brace for the front suspension so I can run split blocks with the same stiffness as the one-piece... So only a few things to try