R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 03-31-2015, 08:26 AM   #1291
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Thanks, I am in the process of rebuilding the car now.
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #1292
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Here is a setup sheet from 2015 MHIC, where I ran modified 1/12 and finished third:

http://chrishillier.com/wp/wp-conten...5_hillierc.pdf

Keven really had the class on lockdown at MHIC, but the battle for 2nd and 3rd was pretty close all weekend long. My switch to TOP last fall has really been game-changing for me, but I know where I can improve and keep getting faster, so my focus will be on those areas for future races!

I really didn't play around with the base car setup (camber, caster, springs, etc) at all during MHIC. The only things I changed were tire compound and diameter, which both had a huge impact on car feel over the course of the weekend. I eventually settled on 39.2 mm front and 41 mm rears, which seemed really good for the traction at 5280.

Let me know if you have any questions about the setup sheet.

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #1293
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Your car was awesome. I wish I had known you were running a TOP car earlier in the event. My car setup is very similar but the devil is in the details. Will try this next time I run!
Old 12-01-2015, 02:03 PM   #1294
Tech Master

Here are my setups from US Indoor Champs, held in Cleveland this past weekend:

13.5: http://chrishillier.com/wp/wp-conten...5_hillierc.pdf

Mod: http://chrishillier.com/wp/wp-conten...d_hillierc.pdf

I didn't have great quals with either car and my 13.5 car was a little too laid back to be fast, but overall I think they ended up pretty good. Donny and Ray both tried softer setups, but I found that the car didn't roll to my liking if I went softer.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
Old 12-01-2015, 02:36 PM   #1295
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLoar View Post

I didn't have great quals with either car and my 13.5 car was a little too laid back to be fast, but overall I think they ended up pretty good. Donny and Ray both tried softer setups, but I found that the car didn't roll to my liking if I went softer.

Cheers Chris,

How do you find the JFT foam? Also curious the reasons you ran a wider front end?

Thanks,

Brett
Dray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #1296
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray01 View Post
Cheers Chris,

How do you find the JFT foam? Also curious the reasons you ran a wider front end?

Thanks,

Brett
Hi Brett!

I used the wider front end because bite was really high on the new CRC carpet and the wider front end calmed the car down and helped keep it level. Both Donny and I ran the front of our mod cars wide - not sure where Ray ended up. Note that if you run the front end wide you will need either shims or another shock o-ring for the crossbrace.

I really like the JFT foam and highly recommend trying it. Their C compounds are similar to BSR blue/green compounds, but with a denser pore structure that seems to create a lot more grip. The JFT S compounds are unlike anything I have driven from other manufacturers, and they have better rotation and forward bite than anything else I personally have driven. I ran my mod car with both S35 and C40 fronts throughout the weekend- C40 fronts were a little easier to drive but slower, S35 fronts were faster but definitely harder to drive.

On the previous CRC carpet I found that the JFT S compounds have better outright pace and fade than anything sold by BSR or Ulti. During my testing on low to medium traction I found that the JFT S compounds typically had at least one tenth, typically two tenths, less fade over eight minutes than anything I tried from BSR or Ulti. I know most people won't believe it, but I can only speak to the results I found and would love to hear from others if they have similar/dissimilar results. I think the lilac spec tires might have better outright pace on the new CRC carpet for stock/13.5 classes, as evidenced by Cleveland, but the fade still seemed to be better with JFT S. Hard to say, though, since you never know what other people are trying at big races, which makes it hard to tie fade down to tire or motor/battery.

If you actually meant 'where do you buy the JFT foam' rather than 'do you like it', here is a link:

http://xenon.ocnk.net/product-list/49

Old 12-01-2015, 05:03 PM   #1297
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi Brett!

I used the wider front end because bite was really high on the new CRC carpet and the wider front end calmed the car down and helped keep it level. Both Donny and I ran the front of our mod cars wide - not sure where Ray ended up. Note that if you run the front end wide you will need either shims or another shock o-ring for the crossbrace.

I really like the JFT foam and highly recommend trying it. Their C compounds are similar to BSR blue/green compounds, but with a denser pore structure that seems to create a lot more grip. The JFT S compounds are unlike anything I have driven from other manufacturers, and they have better rotation and forward bite than anything else I personally have driven. I ran my mod car with both S35 and C40 fronts throughout the weekend- C40 fronts were a little easier to drive but slower, S35 fronts were faster but definitely harder to drive.

On the previous CRC carpet I found that the JFT S compounds have better outright pace and fade than anything sold by BSR or Ulti. During my testing on low to medium traction I found that the JFT S compounds typically had at least one tenth, typically two tenths, less fade over eight minutes than anything I tried from BSR or Ulti. I know most people won't believe it, but I can only speak to the results I found and would love to hear from others if they have similar/dissimilar results. I think the lilac spec tires might have better outright pace on the new CRC carpet for stock/13.5 classes, as evidenced by Cleveland, but the fade still seemed to be better with JFT S. Hard to say, though, since you never know what other people are trying at big races, which makes it hard to tie fade down to tire or motor/battery.

If you actually meant 'where do you buy the JFT foam' rather than 'do you like it', here is a link:

Thanks Chris!
Been tossing up on switching to a wide front. I tend to need slight preload on the black side springs to stop lifting when the track grips up.
We pretty much run ulti's exclusively at our track. Always keen to try something a little different. Thanks for the link, think i shall order some and try them out.

BD
Dray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:03 PM   #1298
Tech Apprentice

Quote:

A quick question on your setups...
What do you mean with "2.5mm shim to set total length" and where do you put that shim?
Thanks!
M.Boos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:16 PM   #1299
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi Brett!

I agree, I have been banging the JFT drum for about a year now.

On another note, we sell the JFT tires stateside. http://www.reflexracing.net/search.a...=jft&search=GO

The C30 has been out of stock for a while and per Teru at Xenon, may or may not be discountinued. Their S tires provide better overall bite in the rear, so I have been using those in 13.5.

For the front, the C Compounds have a more aggressive steering characteristic and tend to fade less at our track. The S compound 35 feels a lot like the Ulti X Medium to me. One thing to note is JFT front tires require far less camber than BSR tires. The difference is WILD. We are talking 1 deg with JFT in the front and 2.0-2.5 with BSR Blue/ Double Blue.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #1300
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Boos View Post
What do you mean with "2.5mm shim to set total length" and where do you put that shim?
Thanks!
Length of the shock ... put a 2.5mm shim between the bottom metal spring collar and the plastic ballcup on the end of the shock.
ByteStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #1301
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Boos View Post
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByteStream View Post
Length of the shock ... put a 2.5mm shim between the bottom metal spring collar and the plastic ballcup on the end of the shock.
Joey is correct. This shim is used as a spacer between the bottom spring collar and the ballcup. Makes it easier to set overall shock length and adds a touch of red bling!

Old 12-02-2015, 09:34 AM   #1302
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
I agree, I have been banging the JFT drum for about a year now.

On another note, we sell the JFT tires stateside. http://www.reflexracing.net/search.a...=jft&search=GO

The C30 has been out of stock for a while and per Teru at Xenon, may or may not be discountinued. Their S tires provide better overall bite in the rear, so I have been using those in 13.5.

For the front, the C Compounds have a more aggressive steering characteristic and tend to fade less at our track. The S compound 35 feels a lot like the Ulti X Medium to me. One thing to note is JFT front tires require far less camber than BSR tires. The difference is WILD. We are talking 1 deg with JFT in the front and 2.0-2.5 with BSR Blue/ Double Blue.
I honestly haven't tried the Ulti XM front with a JFT S rear - will need to try it. I tend to try setups with Ulti F+R or JFT F+R, nothing mixed. I definitely don't think the JFT S compounds are the same as Ulti X compounds, as the JFT S30 rears don't feel like an XS rear and the S35 rear still has better rotation than the XM rears (similar shore), but I think you are right that both the Ulti X and JFT S compounds seem to just produce more grip than similar BSR compounds. Overall, I think the JFT S compounds have better rotation and forward bite than the Ulti X compounds (or anything else, really) along with the best fade over eight minutes (from my testing in mod and 13.5.) I have no idea where the S compounds fit in overall, though, so for all I know BSR and Ulti are working on something similar.

For me, my car on JFT S30/S35 has better rotation and forward bite than with BSR blue/blue. The car is definitely harder to drive, but is faster. Compared to running BSR green rears/blue fronts, the JFT S30/S35 combo seems to come in quicker and doesn't change over the eight minutes like I have found the green rears do.

Now the tires I would really like to try are the GX compounds some folks are using in Japan Who knows if they are exactly the same as anything we already have, but there is only one way to find out...

Old 12-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #1303
Tech Elite

Quote:
Joey is correct. This shim is used as a spacer between the bottom spring collar and the ballcup. Makes it easier to set overall shock length and adds a touch of red bling!
Must...Have...Red...Bling...
Old 12-02-2015, 02:41 PM   #1304
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
I honestly haven't tried the Ulti XM front with a JFT S rear - will need to try it. I tend to try setups with Ulti F+R or JFT F+R, nothing mixed. I definitely don't think the JFT S compounds are the same as Ulti X compounds, as the JFT S30 rears don't feel like an XS rear and the S35 rear still has better rotation than the XM rears (similar shore), but I think you are right that both the Ulti X and JFT S compounds seem to just produce more grip than similar BSR compounds. Overall, I think the JFT S compounds have better rotation and forward bite than the Ulti X compounds (or anything else, really) along with the best fade over eight minutes (from my testing in mod and 13.5.) I have no idea where the S compounds fit in overall, though, so for all I know BSR and Ulti are working on something similar.

For me, my car on JFT S30/S35 has better rotation and forward bite than with BSR blue/blue. The car is definitely harder to drive, but is faster. Compared to running BSR green rears/blue fronts, the JFT S30/S35 combo seems to come in quicker and doesn't change over the eight minutes like I have found the green rears do.

Now the tires I would really like to try are the GX compounds some folks are using in Japan Who knows if they are exactly the same as anything we already have, but there is only one way to find out...

I have found the same exact situation as you describe. I am glad I know someone is on board with the same though process. JFT Tires are just faster than the other stuff I have found. Hard to drive at times, but when it's right, it's ballistic. Near Zero tire fade too.

The Kimihiko tire, according to my Japan source is similar/ same as the Ulti, but I have not confirmed myself, however I can get them if you want to try them. They are supposed to be like XM F/R (35 shore). However the JFT tires, he is not very familiar with in Japan, in his corner they mostly used the J-Dash/ Tabata foam and they mount it themselves. It's supposed to be close to the Ulti as well, but to my knowledge, they are supposed to not be as closely matched shore-wise (more variance in the package) because it is a very low cost tire (we're talking Sub $1.00 per donut IIRC).
Old 12-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #1305
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I think I paid about 1-2 per donut aside from shipping. You're right though, they are unmounted donuts only AFAIK. I tried them a couple years ago before we had easy access to the Blu/Green foam and I found their 28-35 shore rears had better bite and faded less than the then standard yellow black and lilac. But a lot has changed in tires since then...I still have some donuts I could mount if I ever get the itch to try something different. I even have a donut splitter some use to split the donuts in two to cut the tire cost in half.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote