Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #721
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
Update from the Halloween Classic ..

Larry Fairtrace TQ and Wins 13.5 boosted 1/12

Mike Hanulec sets the fastest "real" lap in 1/12 stock Amain (before blowing out of 3rd pace in attempt to catch back up to the leaders)

First time 1/12 races do well with the Rebel 12 - Arvin Nano in the B-main and Mike Larcher in the stock C-main

Well, the Halloween Classics is over again. I was able to experience 12th for the first time in 10 years of racing. I was a sent a rebel to run for the race, received it the Thursday before leaving that Friday evening. I ran the car for opening Sat. practice and it was definately a different driving from sedan... Big learning curve! Made slight changes to suit my driving and after the first qualifier i found myself better than average against a heavy field of veteran 12th drivers. Second qualifier was another form of shakedown driving. Thanks to Ron and Hanulec on the driving tips. I was swapping leads with another veteran 12th racer, finishing just second to him. 3rd qualifier, IT WAS ON! again finishing well, and found the hotlap for 12th was only 2/10th faster than mine. As for the 4th qualifier, once again, i manage to get used to the driving, i added more steering with camber, raced against the clock. This time, me an another racer was looking into making the bottom of the A-Main!!! WOW!! Until another racer was racing with me on the track rather than the clock, tapped the side of my car, and felt tweaked after that...it may have been due to the worn rear tires too.. not sure.

As for the Rebel it is one heck of a car to drive! Larry's setup makes this car a winning car, or at least gets you very close!!

Gotta Thank Ron "Goat" Goetter for letting me use his car for this race!
Larry for all the Team help and support....AWESOME!
Mike Hanulec also for the much needed help.
Jerry Perez you know whats up!
Larcher... for charging the reciever pack..hehehe

EJ AND OD! Thanks for a great car!!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #722
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFREAK View Post
Well, the Halloween Classics is over again. I was able to experience 12th for the first time in 10 years of racing. I was a sent a rebel to run for the race, received it the Thursday before leaving that Friday evening. I ran the car for opening Sat. practice and it was definately a different driving from sedan... Big learning curve! Made slight changes to suit my driving and after the first qualifier i found myself better than average against a heavy field of veteran 12th drivers. Second qualifier was another form of shakedown driving. Thanks to Ron and Hanulec on the driving tips. I was swapping leads with another veteran 12th racer, finishing just second to him. 3rd qualifier, IT WAS ON! again finishing well, and found the hotlap for 12th was only 2/10th faster than mine. As for the 4th qualifier, once again, i manage to get used to the driving, i added more steering with camber, raced against the clock. This time, me an another racer was looking into making the bottom of the A-Main!!! WOW!! Until another racer was racing with me on the track rather than the clock, tapped the side of my car, and felt tweaked after that...it may have been due to the worn rear tires too.. not sure.

As for the Rebel it is one heck of a car to drive! Larry's setup makes this car a winning car, or at least gets you very close!!

Good work Arv I think we may have found a tiny little 12th scale racer this weekend.

Here is a pic of my car for those asking.
Attached Thumbnails
T.O.P Racing's Rebel 1/12th scale-rebel-hc-2011-resized.jpg  

Horsham RC. Where champions practice Failing. I'm your everything.....
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #723
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple View Post
Sorry we're such a big secret We will have the website updated soon and even have the webstore operational again. No eta though

We have Rebel 10 kits and parts in stock.

There's also a Rebel 10 thread: T.O.P. Racing Rebel 10 World GT

topracingusa@yahoo.com
650-583-8898
oops, change of plans, wgt is dying locally, and as much as i wanted to run it at TZGP doesn't make sense to buy a car for one race, sooooo, think i will go with a sedan instead, call you tomorrow.
#49, #25a, #91, #7, #12 the ones to watch.... UPDATE. #12 is your new AMA GNC #1

A Northwest Team of Positive actions
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:12 AM   #724
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Parts

Where can I find a parts list online for the rebel? I tried the google search and came up with nothing. Topusa does not have the manual online either.

Thanks 1airborne
Old 11-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #725
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFREAK View Post

No prob Arv, good running out there. This was only the 2nd race I had with the car and was working out the kinks, my car is good up front but falls off after 15 laps or so, so I couldn't get that 47 lapper in. I find the car very easy to drive, it probably needs more steering, but after driving a rubber TC it feels like it has a ton, but it realistically can probably use more and less dual rate
Old 11-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #726
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1airborne View Post
Where can I find a parts list online for the rebel? I tried the google search and came up with nothing. Topusa does not have the manual online either.

Thanks 1airborne
Timezone has parts:
http://www.timezonehobbies.com/store...&cPath=2_26_58

Stormer will soon have parts.

Your local hobby store can always reach out to the local TOP dealer. And if they won't, you can always call them yourself. The team at TOP USA is very responsive.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #727
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
Timezone has parts:
http://www.timezonehobbies.com/store...&cPath=2_26_58

Stormer will soon have parts.

Your local hobby store can always reach out to the local TOP dealer. And if they won't, you can always call them yourself. The team at TOP USA is very responsive.
Thank you

1airborne
Old 11-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #728
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Couple of quick questions regarding the build process of the Rebel 12.

First, is there a difference between Version 1 and 2 front arms? I saw the pack of the Version 2 arms and at first I thought they were just spares but after reading the info on racerlog.com that does not seem to be the case.

Second, on racerlog it says to shim the shock piston. What does that do? Does shimming the piston mean putting a shim inside the shock body?

Lastly, the guy at the hobby shop said that since I'll be running a Tekin RS on a 1s lipo I'll need an additional receiver pack which I got. I'm sure this is a noob question but how do I install it? And do I need to use the capacitor that came with the ESC?

Thanks for your help.
Delawareguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #729
Tech Initiate

Version 2 arm is lower, make it possible to run smaller diameter tires.
Shimming the piston takes out the play the piston has between the 2 e-clips.
Use that cap. Not sure about the receiverpack, I run a booster and prefer it because of it's simplicity in use.
jmellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #730
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawareguy View Post
since I'll be running a Tekin RS on a 1s lipo I'll need an additional receiver pack which I got. I'm sure this is a noob question but how do I install it? And do I need to use the capacitor that came with the ESC?
Yes on the cap. The battery plugs into the battery (or aux) slot on the receiver. The switch on the ESC should be in the off position - some cut the switch off (cover the ends of the wires if you do this so they don't short). You use the switch on the battery pack to turn the car on/off.

I tried several packs (lipo/life) and think a booster is the way to go. TC Cells or OHP makes good ones, with switches.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #731
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Quote:
Couple of quick questions regarding the build process of the Rebel 12.

First, is there a difference between Version 1 and 2 front arms? I saw the pack of the Version 2 arms and at first I thought they were just spares but after reading the info on racerlog.com that does not seem to be the case.

Second, on racerlog it says to shim the shock piston. What does that do? Does shimming the piston mean putting a shim inside the shock body?

Lastly, the guy at the hobby shop said that since I'll be running a Tekin RS on a 1s lipo I'll need an additional receiver pack which I got. I'm sure this is a noob question but how do I install it? And do I need to use the capacitor that came with the ESC?

Thanks for your help.
Shimming the piston is one option, but I found that CA'ing the piston to the shaft is the best way to remove the play between the e-clips and the piston.

the receiver pack should plug into the radio receiver in the car and provides the much needed voltage required for the electronics to run properly. The Speed control Cap must also be installed as well.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #732
Tech Adept

So the receiver pack plugs into the receiver only? I assumed that because there are two leads coming off of it that the other one had to go somewhere. What is point of the receiver pack? How come the lipo isn't enough? What does the cap do?

Also, why do some people mount the servo is a flat positon instead of using the servo mounts?

Electric cars are confusing.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #733
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
So the receiver pack plugs into the receiver only? I assumed that because there are two leads coming off of it that the other one had to go somewhere. What is point of the receiver pack? How come the lipo isn't enough? What does the cap do?

Also, why do some people mount the servo is a flat positon instead of using the servo mounts?

Electric cars are confusing.
Yes it's switch takes over using the regular switch

The point of RP is to keep the voltage high for servo and to lesson use of battery to power servo for longer run times

Lipo/Life packs work fine or use booster

LRP speedo's don't need RP or booster but people are all fanatical about Tekin for stock racing and with Tekin you need RP or booster ...lol

Cap's use to increase punch or keep voltage regular. Maybe they even keep any excess energy regulated or help with voltage spikes I dunno

People use the servo either way. If you watch the wheels with servo flat the inside turns earlier than outside. With angled servo the outside turns more at end of servo throw

I am using the angled cause the wheels turn more evenly together and that gives a car that is more even or balanced effect in turn for me

@Anyone

Does anyone remember any speedos that actually use to act as a recharging mechanism to the battery using the motor as generator. What happened to those
Old 11-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #734
Tech Adept

A couple more noob questions. First, how do you guys run your sensor wire? It looks like it has to go through a hole in the mount plate before it can connect to the motor. What's the best way to run it without interfering with the rear suspension or anything else? Second, is there an upgraded screw kit for these cars? Something that has harder screws? It seems very easy to strip the screw heads.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #735
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
A couple more noob questions. First, how do you guys run your sensor wire?
Some guys go "over the top", others thread it under the top plate. If it's flexible enough it won't matter - just make sure it doesn't get caught up in the side springs or between the body and chassis.

I remove most of the silicone tube, leaving only a small piece that gets taped to the batt under the shock, passing below the top plate & along the motor to the plug. Larry Fairtrace routes the cable around the outside of the battery (see pic in post #722) leaving only a small section of the tube so it doesn't tangle up in the side links.