Like Tree12Likes

T.O.P Racing's Rebel 1/12th scale

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA
where did you get those sideplates?
I dont recommending running those sideplates.

The way they work are not ideal IMO. They work against each other as you go through a turn. When running sidesprings the one side comes up off the chassis while the other one compresses. This does not happen when using those sideplates. Its a flawed system.

The car works great with the Springs that it was designed for. There is a reason that link cars with springs are successful. They work. I have driven cars with a link setup like the ones above and the handing was awful compared to running the Rebel with springs.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace

The way they work are not ideal IMO. They work against each other as you go through a turn. When running sidesprings the one side comes up off the chassis while the other one compresses. This does not happen when using those sideplates. Its a flawed system.

The car works great with the Springs that it was designed for. There is a reason that link cars with springs are successful. They work. I have driven cars with a link setup like the ones above and the handing was awful compared to running the Rebel with springs.
I agree. And with the new front arms and the new rear pod this car is the top of the market. Only thing I can say that I would make different is the lipo holder in plast , I broke mine after a few runs. Now I have made one in carbon that works great. And after I boiled the side pieces 3min I havnt broken one since

Michael
Denmark
Old 07-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

That is so interesting. Considering that the car has done just as well as spring cars when driven back to back. We have a car that runs both springs and links being that i have heard such nonsense being spewed. There was absolutely NO DIFFERENCE IN LAP TIMES!!!! The cars felt pretty much identicle and yielded the same lap times. This shows me 1 thing and 1 thing only, both systems work fine. Until you can put any kind of legitimate fact behind that nonsense you are saying, try keeping the mindless banter to a minimum. Im not pushing anyone to run them nor am i saying it will work better. They were a set of spares i had for my car and Marcos wanted to try them.

It gets old hearing this crap when you speak with absolutely no knowledge. You ran our car for not even a full season and told me how great it was. So tiring seeing how some people blow smoke up the ass of the new and current sponsor.

The Rebel is a very nice car and i am not here saying anything bad about it. I have seen them run and they are very nice and work great. As do all of the cars out right now. I just dont see a reason for anyone to knock any of the cars out right now or the mechanics of them as they are all fast. Especially you Larry as i have always treated you and Schreff very well and never knocked either of you as i never felt the need to. You are better than that, dont dig at my stuff bro. Its uncalled for.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
That is so interesting. Considering that the car has done just as well as spring cars when driven back to back. We have a car that runs both springs and links being that i have heard such nonsense being spewed. There was absolutely NO DIFFERENCE IN LAP TIMES!!!! The cars felt pretty much identicle and yielded the same lap times. This shows me 1 thing and 1 thing only, both systems work fine. Until you can put any kind of legitimate fact behind that nonsense you are saying, try keeping the mindless banter to a minimum. Im not pushing anyone to run them nor am i saying it will work better. They were a set of spares i had for my car and Marcos wanted to try them.

It gets old hearing this crap when you speak with absolutely no knowledge. You ran our car for not even a full season and told me how great it was. So tiring seeing how some people blow smoke up the ass of the new and current sponsor.

The Rebel is a very nice car and i am not here saying anything bad about it. I have seen them run and they are very nice and work great. As do all of the cars out right now. I just dont see a reason for anyone to knock any of the cars out right now or the mechanics of them as they are all fast. Especially you Larry as i have always treated you and Schreff very well and never knocked either of you as i never felt the need to. You are better than that, dont dig at my stuff bro. Its uncalled for.
Sweet Melt down.

I never mentioned you, your car or your company. Have a nice day.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Yes Larry the car work good with the side springs, but from laptimes at the track my laps did indeed improve by almost a full second running it with the BMI side plates. Have you tested them both the springs and plates back to back?

Jason knows alot regarding 12th scale and he has help me with alot with tips at the track and I always improve when I listen to him and make the changes that he suggested. Isnt it a good idea to test new things to make the car better??

Originally Posted by protc3

I agree with you on that one you have help both of them before so i m not sure why Larry has to respond like that

Last edited by Marcos.J; 07-15-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingman2
That look's like great fun, running a 12th car on a big track like that. What sort of gearing did you run with the 6.5's?? I have a couple of big tracks like that near where I live so would n't mind trying out on of my 12th cars on those tracks

Cheers, Chris.

I was running up towards 80mm
Others running 4.0t were around 40mm i believe.
A lot of it depends on brand and setup of the ESC

It is great driving these little buggers anywhere. We dont have carpet tracks in OZ, but your missing out by sticking to the indoors only.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerry P
What tire compounds are you guys running?
I was running hard tires to assist with runtime, Speedmind 32 Rears, and Sheperd Hard (45) fronts.
The pink car was running quite soft tires, CRC Pink rears and Magenta Front i believe.

The track naturally has quite a bit of grip from the nitro cars that usually run there, so tires were less important than most tracks we run on.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
Ran the car today ran very well getting my laps faster and more consistant. I changed the side links and removed the side springs and Im going to try it out this week I can still use the side plates only and I can also use them with the springs.

Well , I need to try that , what kind of thickness have you used ?? And have you tried other thickness ?? And what about clearence to the lipo holder ??

Thanks in advance
Michael
Denmark
Old 07-16-2011, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure of the exact thickness Jason will know that . Jason is making different thickness to try out in the next week or so. All I can say is that Jason is very helpful helping me to improve the car so far my lap times have been getting faster everytime. The car carries more corner speed and stays flatter through the corner.

Lipo fits just fine I also added a Velcro strap to it . no problems with fitting the lipo.

The strap is bonded to the side of the chassis so it does not go under the chassis .

Ej I should have that set up finish soon and I will email it to you.

Last edited by Marcos.J; 07-16-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Sweet Melt down.

I never mentioned you, your car or your company. Have a nice day.
Hey Larry I know we both race for TOP but what gets me is how can you say something doesnt work with out you even trying it?? I think our goal as a team is to make the car faster and better , dont you think?? Do you have those graphite plates in your rebel right now? did you spend 2 days testing them both back to back? I wouldnt say that something is not going to work unless i try it. I mean I cant say that I hate Brazilian food if i havent eaten it yet . From my testing my car did get better so I guess its working so far.

Who knows maybe if you try the plates your car may improve or maybe not, but like they say "dont knock it till you try it"
Old 07-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

i think whats larry is saying is that it defeating the purpose of how the car was designed to be.. with spring.. the side plate like its done is almost like a tbar car with how it mounted solid on the front an able to roll on the back side with te ball..
Old 07-17-2011, 03:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
I'm not sure of the exact thickness Jason will know that . Jason is making different thickness to try out in the next week or so. All I can say is that Jason is very helpful helping me to improve the car so far my lap times have been getting faster everytime. The car carries more corner speed and stays flatter through the corner.

Lipo fits just fine I also added a Velcro strap to it . no problems with fitting the lipo.

The strap is bonded to the side of the chassis so it does not go under the chassis .

Ej I should have that set up finish soon and I will email it to you.
Hi

Will you please ask Jason what kind of side bars that is , because the one I got from a CH12 is to short

Thanks
Michael
Denmark
Old 07-17-2011, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Blue Screw
i think whats larry is saying is that it defeating the purpose of how the car was designed to be.. with spring.. the side plate like its done is almost like a tbar car with how it mounted solid on the front an able to roll on the back side with te ball..
I understand your point, but like i said i spent hours trying both at the track and the plates yield a faster and more consistant lap times than the spring. I know the car was design with the springs but im pretty sure the graphite plates were never tested by the designer. Like I said Im just trying to get The Rebel faster and more consistant at the track and hope to keep getting it in the Amain and maybe a few wins !! Isnt that what we all want? Instead of knocking down ideas how about trying and testing your self and see what results you get.

Like they say everyone has an opinion, my opinion was tested and backed with lap times , the Amb scoring system does not lie.

time to move on.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by johnsen-dk
Hi

Will you please ask Jason what kind of side bars that is , because the one I got from a CH12 is to short

Thanks
Michael
Denmark
those plates are from a car that Jason is testing so they are a little longer. Not giving any more info regarding his car that he is testing, but I think they are the same thickness as the CH12. Im sure he will be sharing other info in his CH12 thread.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Tech Champion

Actually flex plates work with each other not against each other because their flex is bi-directional unlike springs. As the chassis rolls the spring effect of the flex plates both apply force, on both sides of the pod, in the opposite direction of the roll as shown here:

(Red arrows = pod rotation, green arrows = spring force)

While a spring applies opposite force only on 1 side of the pod as shown here:

(Red arrows = pod rotation, green arrows = spring force)

So in order to have the same effect you will need twice the amount of force applied to one side of the pod with a spring as you do with flex plates. And if you run any pre-load on the side springs at all then the springs will work against each other until the pre-load is unloaded because they both apply force in the downward direction.

Marcos,

Very cool modification...how much longer are the new links over the standard BMI ones?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.