Wiki Posts
Search

Need help looking for a new chassis

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 01:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Need help looking for a new chassis

Hello Guys,

I've been out of racing for a while and i'm looking to get back into it. The cars have changed quite a bit since i've been gone. i've been very interested in the tamiya trf 415, barracuda R2 or R3, xray t1 fk, or the tamiya evo IV coming out. I've read a lot about the cars but would like to hear from some you that had a chance to drive a couple of the cars listed and tell me what you think. I would appreciate any advice that you can give. Thank you
Old 06-20-2004, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Which one has the best support in your area, but parts and drivers. If you don't care than which one tickles you fancy the most??? ALL of the above are great cars in their own right and will be competent when set-up and driven right...

On a personnal note, I prefer the X-ray cars.....
Old 06-20-2004, 10:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

What type of racing are you going to do..Stock,19 turn..mod,The type of track..short,med.,big ??? I think alot of "what" car is really what car do you want to own,Every car you mentioned is good,you can win with any of them,I am not a big fan of the Cuda's(and yes I have owned 3 of them)I run stock and 19 turn, So for me the 415 and Xray dont seem to work as well as a shaft car(and yes I do own both 415 and the Xray)I have owned and raced all the cars your looking at..well not the evo4,I do have an Evo III Surikarn.The Losi G plus is a good car also(has lost favor with the racers)but it's still fast.I also like the Pro4,and for me it's the car that works the best at the track I race at.Alot of what car to get has to do with what you plan on doing with it,track/class..etc.Just remember you can win with anyone of the cars that are out right now...
Old 06-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

hey - I have a cuda r2 with full xenon kit for sale. Basically R3 without the bling carbon fiber plate. it's on e-bay right now.

item number 5904348202

Cuda is very fast, I just like belt cars better for my driving style.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default new chassie

You might want to take a look at the Kawada sv10 Sigma,it is fast and very tough . Parts are easy to get ,just order them from the www.kawadaracing.com site or have your local hobby shop look into becoming a Kawada dealer.
Again this is just my opinion and all car listed would be a great choice.

www.kawadaracing.com
www.evolutionhobbies.com
Old 06-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Here in our area tamiya and TC3 has the best parts supports and the hop ops.... X-ray is also a nice car but it only has a limited parts support in our area.. I think go with the chassis/kit with the best support of parts and hop-ups in your area. Why get the kit/chassis who has a limited supply of parts and hop ups??it will definitely give you a headache all the time you want to upgrade or replace your broken part... I think its better that you first survey all the hobby shop nearest you so that you will really enjoy every parts and service that it has... happy racing!!!
Old 06-20-2004, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

TAMIYA all the way !! But in all fairness....you really should look to see which products are being supported in your area. Mail order is quick and easy until the one time when you can't race because your parts didn't arrive or they're on back order. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the advice so far. keep it comin.
As for product support, tamiya and hpi is what i can get easily. Nobody stocks xray or alex racing. My previous cars were belt driven tamiya cars. I've been pretty happy with the kits but i've always wanted to try a shaft driven car. I hate to make this a belt vs shaft thing, but would like to know if you can actually tell the difference when driving each type. I feel that shafts may have a advantage over belt for efficiency, but have heard horror stories of some chewing up bevel gears which make me shy away from them. Oh well, i guess i should flip a coin..lol
Old 06-20-2004, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

i would get either the trf415 or the pro 4 both race winning cars
Old 06-20-2004, 07:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Both cars have their good points and bad points.I have both the Pro4 and the 415,For the track(notice I'm just talking about the track I race at)I race at the Pro4 is dialed,I dont think I can get a car to work any better for me,I run the stock set up(but with out the sway bars)I'm not that good of a driver but the Pro4 makes me look like a good driver.. On my 415 I have not found a good set up or at least one I'm happy with yet.I have found that I can tell a difference between a shaft driven car and a belt driven car.. On the Pro4,HPI is addressing the one way gear problems(I broke one when I first bought the car,but It was a very hard hit and I have not broken any other part.)And on the cost side of things the Pro4 is about $140 less than the 415.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

What about the ol'reliables? TC3 & XXX-S?
Old 06-20-2004, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I currently run the 415 and it's just flawless and smooth. I too have owned many many cars and driven many many more different ones. But each car can win. Alot would deal with driver style and preference (not to mention proper setup). Belted cars "feel" smoother... were-as shaft "feel" quicker. But lap times will be the same. I have proven this many times on the track. Don't count on efficiency either... each side has it's own argument as well.

Can you drive a oneway? Some people can not. If not.. don't get the 415 as it's "currently" the only way it's equipped. Will you be racing stock or mod? Asphalt or carpet?

Can't comment on the Evo IV as it's not out yet. But I will have one..

Don't forget the other cars as well.. TC3 and XXX-S G+. And not to mention the Yokomo SD.

It all comes down to what YOU want to get. Just pick one that fancyz ya. I'm sure you have a favorite hidden there in your head somewhere... pick that one.