R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   indoor asphalt (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/43154-indoor-asphalt.html)

HotPink 06-18-2004 08:14 PM

indoor asphalt

what is the best thing to do for an indoor asphalt track over concrete. Anyone have any suggestions. How about someone at the Tulsa track. I here that the track there is awesome. Thanks for the help in advance.

R/C HEAT 06-18-2004 08:29 PM

Yes, I would like to know too....

Grizzbob 06-18-2004 09:04 PM

Well, our track isn't actually asphalt(it's some skid-not sprayed over the concrete floor, kinda like what you see on some tennis courts), but are you wondering how to set up your cars for it, or how to treat the surface? Now just for finding grip on the stuff, most outdoor setups will work pretty well, though we can get away with using softer tires than one would normally use in the warmer months(like TakeOff CS-22's, they heat up pretty darn quick outside in the weather we see now, but they're the tire to get for the most grip on our surface). Onmy TC3, for example, I have 50wt oil & gold springs on my front shocks, with a rear shock tower up front, using the outer mounting hole on the ver2 arms & the inner lower camber mount on the tower(no shims outside yet, though I'm thinking about trying it) & also using the outer, upper shock mount. And in the rear, 30wt oil & silver springs, the R2+2 arm mounts, shocks mounted in the middle upper holes, & or the camber link, using the inner upper hole on the tower & the inner mount on the hub, & running 1 degree of camber all around. Additionally, running it at about 5.5mm ride height all around & as close to zero toe-in up front as possible(but not sure about droop at the moment, just saying all of this off the top of my head). That should give a TC3 a decent starting point...:cool:

racingcivic 06-18-2004 10:21 PM

skid not? Is that available at Home Depot?
thanks
andy

Grizzbob 06-19-2004 02:08 AM

I honestly don't know where Randy bought the stuff, but you could certainly check there, & other places like paint stores....

ZER01 06-19-2004 02:34 AM

HotPink, first off, what are you doing online and second you are talking about an indoor building with a secure solid foundation that has been leveled to every degree so after that you lay what ever surface you want on it.

Grizz, whatch out...you got a caller from Guam...

HotPink 06-19-2004 09:52 AM

Originally posted by webspinner
HotPink, first off, what are you doing online and second you are talking about an indoor building with a secure solid foundation that has been leveled to every degree so after that you lay what ever surface you want on it.

Grizz, whatch out...you got a caller from Guam...

What the heck do you mean about me being online?

ZER01 06-19-2004 04:45 PM

Nothing just talking nonsense. Okay so what's up on the subject of an indoor asphalt track? I heard Roach talking about this some months ago.

b4racer 06-19-2004 10:34 PM

I live in Oklahoma and the nearest indoor on road track to me is Competion RC. I have heard about the one in tulsa.. Is it anygood, and is it worth the 1.5 hour drive? Thanks.

berger 06-20-2004 07:10 AM

On this side of the pond, CS22's and 27's are the tyre to use depending on the track temperature with the car setup moderatly soft.:nod:

Grizzbob 06-20-2004 04:36 PM

I think it is, b4racer, just as guys like David Alford, Kyle Skidmore, Patrick Castleberry, Tyler Keel, & some of the other southern OK guys, they've all been up here & I think they've always enjoyed it.....:cool:

HotPink 06-20-2004 07:14 PM

Originally posted by webspinner
Nothing just talking nonsense. Okay so what's up on the subject of an indoor asphalt track? I heard Roach talking about this some months ago.

Nothing really. Just wanting to know about different stuff. ;)

HotPink 06-21-2004 07:21 PM

Thanks a lot GrizzBob

Originally posted by Grizzbob
Well, our track isn't actually asphalt(it's some skid-not sprayed over the concrete floor, kinda like what you see on some tennis courts), but are you wondering how to set up your cars for it, or how to treat the surface? Now just for finding grip on the stuff, most outdoor setups will work pretty well, though we can get away with using softer tires than one would normally use in the warmer months(like TakeOff CS-22's, they heat up pretty darn quick outside in the weather we see now, but they're the tire to get for the most grip on our surface). Onmy TC3, for example, I have 50wt oil & gold springs on my front shocks, with a rear shock tower up front, using the outer mounting hole on the ver2 arms & the inner lower camber mount on the tower(no shims outside yet, though I'm thinking about trying it) & also using the outer, upper shock mount. And in the rear, 30wt oil & silver springs, the R2+2 arm mounts, shocks mounted in the middle upper holes, & or the camber link, using the inner upper hole on the tower & the inner mount on the hub, & running 1 degree of camber all around. Additionally, running it at about 5.5mm ride height all around & as close to zero toe-in up front as possible(but not sure about droop at the moment, just saying all of this off the top of my head). That should give a TC3 a decent starting point...:cool:
;) ;) ;) ;) :D ;) ;) :p :p :lol: :sweat: :smile: :nod: :cool: :o

SOuthernFRIED 06-21-2004 07:24 PM

Hotpink do a search (Google) for tennis court resurfacing..You will find lotsa info and products.You can apply some direclty over concrete and the colors vary.Most average 65-70 bucks for 5 gallons coverage area 400-500 sqft.

nashrcracer 06-22-2004 10:18 AM

I use to race at Riders in Kalamazoo, MI in 91 on an indoor oval that they took 5 gallons of black paint and added sand to it and the painted the track. I think they said a gallon bucket to the 5 gallon pail. it worked real good with foam. was running green dots back then. of course like was said, it has to be real flat surface with no transistion difference between the concrete pours.