R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #1156
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I had my first full weekend with my M06R. Having raced an M05 reasonably well in the last year the M06 proves a much different proposition. Acceleration, speed out of corners and top speed all seem better with the M06 than the M05. I lacked consistency with the M06 but when able to get the corners right the M06 feels good. We run outdoor asphalt and I found that tire warmers and traction compound for the rear made a huge difference. I also found that the hard sway bar front and soft swaybar rear made the car less prone to oversteer. I initially had a problem with tire temp fade at the end of the race and tried some different spring combinations with both sway bars but at the end of the day found the yellow short front spring and fluro yellow rear long spring were the best combination for the day.

No braking and constant throttle application really are key getting the car to track properly as well

For our mini class here we use the Hobbywing 13T system as the spec esc and motor.

SERCCC, www.serccc.com
Space for rent!
luda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #1157
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luda View Post
No braking and constant throttle application really are key getting the car to track properly as well
+1 that is when I started to put down my best laps. I let off right before a big turn and immediately went to mild throttle in middle of the turn and pulled out of the turn. Unfortunately I didn't apply this methodology in the beginning of the race.

@ hprt: Everyone at the track says the same thing, you are brave to stick to that car or you still running the rwd mini. I tell them its a lot of fun.. more realistic. Couple of times I have handed the remote to them and they are amazed at how well the car drives.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #1158
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I was inspired by Porsha doing so well with her 06 against the fwd cars, so I've started to develop my 06 on outdoor asphalt as well.

Normally the 05 has been king on our track, and my fastest times come from my LWB M05. But over the weekend I managed to get my 06 within about 3 tenths of what I would expect my 05 to be capable of in the same conditions. Next meeting I intend to confirm it by running my 05 and 06 on the same day.

Running the hobbywing 13T, with max timing and punch set at 2, my best times came when I added in 10% drag break. Also helped that I turned down my max break force to 25%, and if I play around a bit with my radios abs and break expo I might be able to get some usable breaks out of the 06.

For setup, I ran Team Powers 36 on the rear, with ride 3035s on the front. Yellow rear spring, blue front spring, and 50wt oil with 3 hole pistons front and rear. Car was in 225mm wheel base and using the Ride Subaru BRZ body.

I also played around with a shorty lipo, and that set my fastest lap of the day, but the car was a little wiggly on corner entry which made it a little unpredictable. I moved the shorty all the way forward in the battery compartment. It helped both the on and off power steering, and I think with some more work to settle the rear down a bit with that in might be the best bet.

I'm going to order a set of roll bars too, could be some more time to be found there.

I found the same thing as Luda, the car is super quick. I was running down 60d m05s on our long straight using only 55d's on the 06.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #1159
Tech Elite

Shorty LiPo without the R spec axle weights is tricky. I've been running short because I have the weights..

Today I realised that the carbon tower ver 2 (2nd ones that came out) can't be used with the r spec lower link. I'm presently running the standard TRF dampers with r spec longer pistons. With the springs fully loaded, you will get between 6 / 7 mm of ride clearance. I ended up switching back to ver 1.

For tyres, I continue to have great success running sweep 40 front and 33 rear with pink soft inserts. I used sxt sauce.. I apply only 1/4 of front inner and rear full. Springs, running blue on rear and yellow in front. Oil still 70 front and 60 rear. I plan on changing the front to 60.. It's a little bouncy at the moment
Old 04-23-2013, 03:29 AM   #1160
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I ran the Team Powers 36 all round and they worked well. Try TP36 on the front in an M05 and it's traction roll city
I love that BRZ body it looks awesome...
I also ran the shorty battery but all the way rearward in the LWB config. I am going to try SWB this weekend and see how that goes...

SERCCC, www.serccc.com
Space for rent!

Last edited by luda; 04-23-2013 at 03:31 AM. Reason: added content
luda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:41 AM   #1161
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Fun to see more people try the M06. Just sharing as well.

I found weight balance to be important 20 grams moved forward or back by 20mm gives noticeable change in handling. For me when I went to less rear droop (1mm total), the car became very stable under braking. Weight on the rear hubs is also good for tuning. I made my own using normal weights we stick on the rc cars.

Front roll bars are good for me.

Let's keep at it!
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #1162
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
Fun to see more people try the M06. Just sharing as well.

I found weight balance to be important 20 grams moved forward or back by 20mm gives noticeable change in handling. For me when I went to less rear droop (1mm total), the car became very stable under braking. Weight on the rear hubs is also good for tuning. I made my own using normal weights we stick on the rc cars.

Front roll bars are good for me.

Let's keep at it!
Less droop on front or rear?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #1163
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to JustWill75
How did you make you make your own and how did you secure them? Got any pics?
Old 04-24-2013, 03:34 AM   #1164
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Raman, rear. For me, droop controls weight transfer.

JustWill75, here is the lead weight. 5gms stuck to the hub with self adhesive (or just double sided tape).

Best thing about the M06 is it improved Porsha's driving a lot. She recently won the Tamiya GT Class (12T brushless touring car), which I did not think was possible as that is the ultimate class for Tamiya racing. All because the M06 is very difficult to drive, and now 4wd GT to her feels so easy.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan

Last edited by rccartips; 04-24-2013 at 04:02 AM.
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #1165
Tech Elite

Yesterday I made two small 2 mm holes on chassis bottom, one at the centre rear and one at centre front. These are the same type holes that are on my TRF416 for checking weight balance.

When I checked my car, I ended up adding 2 @ 7g on the right of the servo. Now she is a balanced act.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #1166
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to JustWill75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
Raman, rear. For me, droop controls weight transfer.

JustWill75, here is the lead weight. 5gms stuck to the hub with self adhesive (or just double sided tape).

Best thing about the M06 is it improved Porsha's driving a lot. She recently won the Tamiya GT Class (12T brushless touring car), which I did not think was possible as that is the ultimate class for Tamiya racing. All because the M06 is very difficult to drive, and now 4wd GT to her feels so easy.
I feel so dumb for not even trying that. Mainly I work at a a car dealership and have ridiculous access to lead weights.......
Old 05-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #1167
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Forgive me if this question has already been asked. But would any of you guys that have the golden axle weights be able to give me the inside and outside diameter?

Thanks fellas!
Old 05-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #1168
Tech Adept

Hi guys, this weekend was the next round of our local TCS.
and this time, i was able to find a really good setup for an aspahlt track .

due to our regulations , we are limited to Tamiya tires only .

following setup was really great:

M-06R LWB Beetle Shell

front:
R-Dampers, original palstic damper stay, 3 Holes , 600 Tamiya Oil , white Springs (hard) , hard stabilizer
Type A Tamiya Tires
rear:
R-Dampers, original palstic damper stay, damper position - highest, 3 holes, 500 Tamiya Oil, red springs , 2 Degree Uprights , R weights mounted, no stabilizers, TA-03 Ball diff
Type A Tamiya Tires
TyreTweak Additive
Carson Cup Machine Motor (equivalent sport tuned motor)

it made a lot of fun.

maybe someone of you may try this setup

also my new shell made me smile
Attached Thumbnails
TAMIYA M-06 Thread-dsc09816.jpg   TAMIYA M-06 Thread-dsc09818.jpg  
Aitutaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #1169
Tech Elite

Where are you located?
Old 05-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #1170
Tech Adept

hi raman,
Austria / Europe

here is a (unfortunately poor) video of the 2nd A Main.
as always, the fast start of a M-06 is so impressive.
http://youtu.be/GHI6VzkAjh4

and i know, my driving could be better
but i finished 2nd, and won one of the 3 finals

Last edited by Aitutaki; 05-05-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Aitutaki is offline   Reply With Quote