R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #1081
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

Have you tried As with firm foam inserts on the front? That seemed to give me tons.of steering but was still smooth.

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #1082
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Creations View Post
Have you tried As with firm foam inserts on the front? That seemed to give me tons.of steering but was still smooth.
I haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a shot. I'm going to be missing the next couple of weeks of racing though.

"If God had meant for us to drive through the front wheels, he never would have allowed us to invent the ring & pinion"
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #1083
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

When entering a turn, are you letting off and coasting or reducing throttle and steering your way through?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #1084
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
When entering a turn, are you letting off and coasting or reducing throttle and steering your way through?
I'm letting off and coasting going in to the turns and throttling out.

"If God had meant for us to drive through the front wheels, he never would have allowed us to invent the ring & pinion"
Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #1085
Tech Master

So how much droop do you run in your m06 with the 225mm WB on a high traction carpet track?

I am running blue front springs and yellow rears. With S-grips all around. Ride height is 3mm. One o-ring inside the shock.

I get it into the corner the car seems to roll over to the outside and then diff out and do some weird stuff when it comes flattens out.

I was thinking of adding spacers inside the shock to cut the droop.

Any Ideas?
patorz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #1086
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by patorz31 View Post
So how much droop do you run in your m06 with the 225mm WB on a high traction carpet track?

I am running blue front springs and yellow rears. With S-grips all around. Ride height is 3mm. One o-ring inside the shock.

I get it into the corner the car seems to roll over to the outside and then diff out and do some weird stuff when it comes flattens out.

I was thinking of adding spacers inside the shock to cut the droop.

Any Ideas?
Current setup as follows;

Tamiya 54000 shock set w/matching carbon shock towers

Front:
40wt
red spring
(1) black o-ring

Rear:
50wt
yellow spring
no limiters
rear outer hinge-pin so the lower shock mounts to the outside

Hope this helps...
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #1087
Tech Elite

I'm presently running the mini dampers in front with 3 orings. Rear none.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #1088
Tech Adept

Hey M06 guys,

just want to let you know the outcome of my last race.
It was real fun! I placed 8th of 31 drivers, starting in the A-main from the 11th and last starting place. May sound not spectacular for everybody, but considering I was the only M-chassis in this class, Iīm really a bit proud of "Herbie". He did his best against TT01, Ta05īs, and some other 4WD touring cars.
As explained some posts before, I wanted to compare my last setting on the new carpet track against the fresh M06R setting. We did 5 heats on Saturday, 2 on Sunday Morning. The first 3 heats were very slow, with the totally new carpet. But in the afternoon it soaked enough tire sauce getting better times.
In the 4th run I tried my setting doing 18laps (5:12,44), fastest lap 15,872s.
Then I built the car to the new R-Spec, which had much more droop than my last favorite setting and the new weights/damper geometry for the 5th heat.
This managed to be my top qualifier doing 19 laps (5:11,925) with my fastest lap of the weekend 15,358s.
The interesting part was, it felt not that that quicker from the driverīs stand, but lap time doesnīt lie!
So I will definetely develop a new setup based on the R setting! The car was leaning a lot, but was still very responsive in the quick chicane.
I had no spins, it was easy to drive, I only had to take care not to turn too quick in the hairpin to prevent a too big turn-in. I was running camber 0° f/r without problems. That gave good traction out of the corners, running on M-Grips with CS high grip sauce. Looking at the pic, you can see my tires, which did 4 race weekends on this carpet track with very little wear, really money saving...
I attached some pics of our new track layout and the M06Pro/R "hybrid"

BR from Germany,
Matthias
Attached Thumbnails
TAMIYA M-06 Thread-m06pro_130211.jpg   TAMIYA M-06 Thread-m06pro_13029.jpg   TAMIYA M-06 Thread-mst_13021.jpg   TAMIYA M-06 Thread-mst_13022.jpg  
Old 03-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #1089
Tech Elite

I also raced my M06 Pro R on Sunday. Unfortunately I am the slowest driver on the infield, so I had little success in the race. However I did hand my car over to one of the top drivers at the track and he was amazed on now well the car drove and complemented me on my set up.

I also experimented with using a shortly LiPo. Since I'm running the axle rear weights, I shifted the battery forward to add steering. Car drove very nicely.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #1090
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Matthias, nice results!
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #1091
Tech Adept

Quote:
Matthias, nice results!
Thank you Joel,
it was real fun to get in the A-final.
And so much new inputs on the setup.
Next thing I will tryout is some stiffer stabis, to reduce the roll. (instead of doing it by less droop, as my last setup)
But next race is on tarmac again, so this is a different challenge.

BR,
Matthias
Old 03-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #1092
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Did the rear hub weights help?
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #1093
Tech Adept

Quote:
I also raced my M06 Pro R on Sunday. Unfortunately I am the slowest driver on the infield, so I had little success in the race. However I did hand my car over to one of the top drivers at the track and he was amazed on now well the car drove and complemented me on my set up.

I also experimented with using a shortly LiPo. Since I'm running the axle rear weights, I shifted the battery forward to add steering. Car drove very nicely.
Raman,
if the car was good already, this is the key. driving practice can be adressed.
I know it can be very hard to race against FWD Minis, as the lines are quite different on tight curves and often a crash is the consequence...
Good idea with the shorty lipo. Gives a many opportunities to play with the weight balance. Iīm running my Nimh complete to the rear, but the receiver in front. It always surprises me, how much steering the M06 can have with this "buggy" configuration, compared to my previous M04/M02.

I wish you all the best for your next race,
Matthias
Old 03-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #1094
Tech Adept

Quote:
Did the rear hub weights help?
To be honest, I did no drive without them after converting to R-setup,
so I can only guess it was a combination of the moved lower link and the weights. In the 2nd A-Final I tried a second damper set with -2mm length in rear, but my best lap was 15,731 compared to the first A with 15,648s.
Driving felt a bit twitchy, so I reduced the shock length in front to 57,5mm for the 3rd A. (best lap went down to 15,666 again).
Roll was clearly lower, but you had to keep an eye on offpower oversteer on the tight curves again. Driving was not so relaxing as with R-spec. Would have liked the idea to reduce droop only in front, but the day was over.
Driving in the final was also not that easy as in the heats, as I often took some turns wide to not harm the top drivers passing me. But I trust on the indication of the fastest lap.
Nevertheless the weights will stay in the car...
Old 03-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #1095
Tech Master

I had some good runs last night with mine.
I missed TQ by .06, but I had the quickest lap in qualifying and both mains.
It was a little tail happy early in the evening. Between the 2 mains, I changed the camber so that it is -2 front and rear.
This helped a lot with the handling and allowed me to be more consistent.
I ended up 2nd overall. Missed the overall win by 3 seconds.