TAMIYA M-06 Thread

Like Tree120Likes

TAMIYA M-06 Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
Hi,

I´m also not running MWB, but LWB.
But maybe I can give some input, as I´m also sorting out problems with spec tires. I made the same experience: on some special carpets, the m-Grips stick better than the S-ones. On tarmac the S-grips can´t be beaten, and forget the m-grip in the rain. (like ice)

I always use the hard foam inserts f/r and try in the meantime to use te same tire front/rear, to get more steering and to keep my stuff simple.
On the setups, I went from kit to very soft on a TEC race, now getting back to the harder side on our outdoor track. Currently running on S-Grips all around.
At the weekend I made good experience to reduce travel and droop in the rear, which stabilized the car a lot.
I run the Carson Cup machine with 3000 Nimh, Lipo just for training.
Well, for sure my setup is not 100% perfect at the moment, but maybe you can get some input from it. As I noticed this evening, it´also works in the rain, which is always a good sign to me.
I was able to really push it to the limit, and on some 180° curves to throw it around by the brake, to reduce curve radius...

But you´re right, with a little more power than 540, it´s way more difficult to setup the RWD. So I appreciate this thread and the enthusiasts here a lot, let´s sort out some good setups together!

BR from Germany,
Matthias
base on your setup on tarmac....my experience the suspension with long traveling make your car easy enter cornering....but ussualy spinning or get a long time to exit cornering but depending on your used great tire or not....if your tire felt so grip enough by S grip ,you could install 1 or 2 rubber black oring on your shock....see Rear or front its look made too dive...i believe your car more fast to exit cornering...basicly front more oring than rear on RWD

i hope help....nice try....wait your field report
Old 04-29-2011, 01:36 AM
Tech Regular

Hi again,

I feel it the same way, as you describe it.
With the more weak setup I used initially for a very low grip carpet, I gained very quick entry cornering and fast response through some chicanes.
But it was also a rather small, technical circuit.
Running outdoors again, it was just too responsive with higher speeds, and gave an unsave feel.
To test your tip: I´m not quite sure if I get you right:
You recommend to reduce bump travel by putting the o-rings outside the shock on the piston rod? (like in the manual for using trf on the rear with kit piston rod)
Or do you mean limit travel by o-ring under the piston rod? That´s why I noted the shock length end to end in my setup sheet.
But one little detail I forgot: I noticed to have 0,7mm shim under the inner ball pin. (lower fr roll centre)

I also got yesterday my stabilizer set finally, tried already hard for the front and soft in rear, but gave me again a little understeer in corner entry. (not surprising). So will try soft/soft next.

Another thought I gained yesterday, to try more negative camber in rear for corner exit. Looking at my tires, they show wear down to the outside tire, maybe I get also some quicker corner exiting by this...

For sure I will try out your tipps afterwards and give you a feedback!
Old 04-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=ruebiracer;9035681]Hi again,

I feel it the same way, as you describe it.
With the more weak setup I used initially for a very low grip carpet, I gained very quick entry cornering and fast response through some chicanes.
But it was also a rather small, technical circuit.
Running outdoors again, it was just too responsive with higher speeds, and gave an unsave feel.
To test your tip: I´m not quite sure if I get you right:
You recommend to reduce bump travel by putting the o-rings outside the shock on the piston rod? (like in the manual for using trf on the rear with kit piston rod)Put the black rubber oring inside your shock , under shock piston rod, in this case you have to make sure your tire grip enough ..if so you can feel more quicker this we call droop or shock travel seting
Or do you mean limit travel by o-ring under the piston rod? That´s why I noted the shock length end to end in my setup sheet.
But one little detail I forgot: I noticed to have 0,7mm shim under the inner ball pin. (lower fr roll centre) shim a little bit different effect...but this is fine tuning

I also got yesterday my stabilizer set finally, tried already hard for the front and soft in rear, but gave me again a little understeer in corner entry. (not surprising). So will try soft/soft next.
if you felt the tire absolutely grip, you can put stabilizer to fine tuning, but oring under shock piston rod give more effect than stabiliser,,,,ussually i "ll use stabiliser when the tire felt so grip....but i am not believe TAMIYA S grip and M grip tire .....we are using stabiliser on asphalt circuit with slick A tamiya tyre...it's depending your country temperature.

I am using stabilser M05 on carpet track without oring under piston rod....tire f/r M grip....inner front :hard rear : medium.....definetely great traction on FWD

if you get more comfortable setup using M and S tire on the carpet , you can share with me...i am realy appreciate get more input from many racer

Nice share with you mathias
Old 05-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Does anyone know the release date of the new rx7 bodied kit 57816?
Old 05-02-2011, 05:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rctouringracer
Does anyone know the release date of the new rx7 bodied kit 57816?
launched already in Japanese market
Old 05-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default HPI Bodies for M06

Has anyone used the HPI bodies listed here: http://www.hpiracing.com/hpibodies/mini/

If yes, post some pictures of your m06 with HPI body. By the way, Tamiyablog posted the 1st gen Mazda RX7 body will be in the m06 kit.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Here again after some internet problems.

Mbahdukun, nice share with you also for me!
I also noticed the droop being the most important factor at this chassis.
I will try next the second oring under the front piston.
You´re right, stabilizer is more fine tuning on it.

Had some problem with strange gear noises, hope to have it sorted now and will try next setting changes on the weekend.
I´ll give feedback here for sure.

Best regards,
Matthias
Old 05-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have an ABC Hobby Goose rear wheel drive car which is very similar the Tamiya M-06. I bought the S Grip 60D radials for it, but I need to get the inserts. Should I use the #50686 inner sponge for the rear tires and the #53255 hard inner sponge for the front tires. Racing the car on asphalt.

Seems to me you should put the hard insert up front to make the front end less twitchy.

Any suggestions? Please help.

Thank you.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Upon further consideration, I think I'm going to get the #53255 hard inserts for all 4 tires.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
Upon further consideration, I think I'm going to get the #53255 hard inserts for all 4 tires.

Good Choice.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thank you, Sydewynder

I figured that the #50686 inserts might be too soft; so I decided to go with the #53255 hard inserts to give the tire better support which should help with traction.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Tech Regular

Had a test run yesterday with the reduced front droop (second oring under piston):
I felt a useful advance in turn in, even off power, really nice. Car still stable and easy to drive (for RWD). Overall the car feels a bit more firm, on uneven surface slightly hoppy now. Ground clearance still o.k. for the street.
Guess I have to get back to the track soon...

BR,
Matthias
Old 05-11-2011, 05:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Subscribed.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

If anyone is interested, selling my new, built M06 in the for sale section.

Last edited by sohlman; 05-11-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

new to mini
does mini body that fit m05 fit m06?
will regular 2 cell battery like this one fit m06?
Attached Thumbnails TAMIYA M-06 Thread-genace.gif  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.