R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #331
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoTorro View Post
Alright, the Sakura FF geardiff fits M05/M06.

Just put mine together, and with some modifications it fits right in, at the end cover i took off the lip and filled it with #5000 Green Tamiya diff oil.

I decided to mount it into my M05, after a full nights racing not a drop has leaked and very happy with the smooth diff action it has. Same tension in diff for entire evening of racing.

Now the wait is for one more to add to my M06...
The 3Racing diff is 1mm narrower than the stock? The gear teeth pitch is the same and meshes ok?

Thanks for being the guinea pig.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #332
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's 3mm, i just found out. I used a emty geardiff at first to measure, it worked no problem for me with only 0.5mm each side with shims all evening last night...
Still not a problem, add shims to outside of bearing where it goes into chassi, 1 mm each end and 0.5mm on diff each side and it will be fine.
RossoTorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #333
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot View Post
I buy Tamiya!!!! No need to modify anything and its the best quality HANDS DOWN. Dont try and save your self 15% when you can buy the real thing. I mean come on. 3 racing is cool and all but when they replicate parts they are far from Tamiya's quality strength and durability. Arguments???????????? I didn't think so. # racing has great additions to tamiya cars but they can't compare when they try to replicate the actaul parts.
I agree with you, mostly. 3Racing does make some good parts. (CV axles, hardened rear axles...) They also make some total crap. (Lower control arms, steering knuckles)

They've got their place and a better price point than Tamiya. Tamiya does tend to use MUCH higher quality materials, particularly when it comes to aluminum.

This actually has me wondering: Why doesn't Tamiya offer cooling fans for the cars, rather than really ineffective heat sinks?

Jim
Old 01-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #334
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

No attitude hear I just don't like to see bad advice given without letting them know all of the details. Like Monkey said they have some decent products and I have purchased a few but never things like shocks diffs steering parts etc. There aluminum is soft compared to Tamiya's which is not good for some parts. Plus out here in the US we are not allowed to run parts that are not Tamiya for the TCS races. I have run alot of diffs in my M03,4,5 and now 6. So far the best diff is the TA03 ball diff if I had to recommend to someone to purchase a diff then thats what I would get.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #335
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
So far the best diff is the TA03 ball diff if I had to recommend to someone to purchase a diff then thats what I would get.
And is what we have ALWAYS recommended on rc-mini....
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #336
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The TA03 ball diff is smoother than M05's. Part number is 53267, street price is $22 - $24. Also the main diff gear makes good contact with idler gear.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #337
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
No attitude hear I just don't like to see bad advice given without letting them know all of the details. Like Monkey said they have some decent products and I have purchased a few but never things like shocks diffs steering parts etc. There aluminum is soft compared to Tamiya's which is not good for some parts. Plus out here in the US we are not allowed to run parts that are not Tamiya for the TCS races. I have run alot of diffs in my M03,4,5 and now 6. So far the best diff is the TA03 ball diff if I had to recommend to someone to purchase a diff then thats what I would get.
I bolded the part of this quote that I think is very important. While it is great to see posts about better parts, I think Mini racing is best when kept TCS legal. The less we have to worry about spending money to be competitive, the better this class is.

I won't deny that there are better parts & better tire/insert combos available for these cars. However, for the novice racer in the US looking for information, it can quickly become confusing what is legal and/or needed to have fun with a Mini.

Since any Mini thread is dominated by posts from non TCS racers, it would be refreshing to have a separate TCS Legal Mini thread. Hey, this may be my best idea of the week...
Old 01-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #338
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
Since any Mini thread is dominated by posts from non TCS racers, it would be refreshing to have a separate TCS Legal Mini thread. Hey, this may be my best idea of the week...

Please, no, no, NO...it's bad enough having to read the Mini Cooper and the M06 thread as it is!
Not to mention the klutz who resurrected the year old M05 thread as well..

I'd like everything on the Mini Cooper thread - and that's it. Pleeeaseeee...
Old 01-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #339
Tech Master

Okay, how about we compromise. All of the Australian Mini Racers must have a disclaimer at the front of their posts stating something to the affect that "We choose not to adhere to Tamiya TCS Mini racing rules because we think we are doing it better than you!"

(Hopefully this comment will be read as the poor attempt at humor that it was intended to be).
Old 01-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #340
Tech Master

Quote:
How many times have I ordered parts from them and it shows in stock and 2 weeks later they say SORRY not available. I if I had a penny? Yes they are limited which means they only made X amount and never to made again.
Good thing I picked up 4 sets when I did then.

Can't say I've ever had a similar experience ordering from them - and I hate to admit that I've ordered lots of stuff...

Vice President, KARZ.ca
WCICS Rep - Karz RC Club
hprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #341
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Someone breathed new life into the M-05 thread? That shows you how much attention I'm giving this thing. I'm just sticking to my interests. and the M-05 isn't among them. I never did like that car.

Regarding standardized rules, like TCS or the fairly regulated Australian mini rules: That would be great. It would be so nice to have everyone on a level playing field and to make this about pure fun and excellent driving skill. The only two problems are A) no one wants to be the tech guy, especially at a club race and B) Tamiya can't seem to keep parts supplied, even for the relatively small Canadian market. I can't imagine what a shit-show it would be if we needed our local supplier (who is unfortunately hog-tied by the national distributor) to bring in the spec tire/wheel sets for our entire club, plus spares to keep us all well heeled.

It sure would be nice to play by a set of simple rules that were adhered to zealously by all involved and were supported just as vigorously by the manufacturer. Sadly, it's not going to happen here.

Jim
Old 01-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #342
Tech Elite

There is no TCS in Australia...hasn't been for about 7-8 years....we don't have a choice.....
Old 01-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #343
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
There is no TCS in Australia...hasn't been for about 7-8 years....we don't have a choice.....
Yep. And I don't think it will be resurrected either.

I will try to remember to add the Aussie clause in any future posts.
caltek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #344
Tech Fanatic

I like what our brothers are doing down under as far as making rules for the mini and how they choose to run the class. A lot of thought have gone into what particular hopups, motor/esc combos, tires, bodies, and how they are implemented. The HW 13t combo is probably the best brushless combo for the mini, cheap and performs good. If i were to follow class/rules, it would be as close to this as possible.
glide 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #345
Tech Apprentice

Does anyone know if the HPI Lancia Stratos body fits on the M06 at all?

Cheers in advance,
Liam