R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-06-2015, 01:09 AM   #1651
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MrLesac

Quick picture of my M06, a work in progress on my body for TCS.
Attached Thumbnails
TAMIYA M-06 Thread-gulf.jpg  
MrLesac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:43 PM   #1652
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Absolute necessary upgrades
1. TRF dampers
2. Turnbuckle links to adjust F/R camber and front toe
3. Upgrade diff: I personally run M05 ball diff. Others run Spec R or 3Racing gear diff. All are lighter than stock

Secondary upgrades
1. CVD axles - I know some would place this in category one. They make the car more efficient but not detrimental in my opinion
2. Rear 1 degree hubs. Plastic is 2 degrees and chassis has 1.5 built in, so stock set up is 3.5, which is too high in my opinion. I've been running the 1 degrees for quite some time

Set up:
TRF damper
60wt / yellow spring front
60wt / blue sprint rear
Shock length: rear has full length travel / droop, While front has 0 droop (I can't recall how many spacers that makes inside damper)

Suspension: -1'degree camber on rear, 0 degree on front. Front toe is 0 as well. Ride height is 5 mm on rear and 4 mm on front.

Shock position: rear is centre hole, front I tend to change from middle hole to inner hole.

I'm presently running the soft rear roll bar. No roll bar in front. It seems to be helping.

Battery position: I run a shorty battery positioned all the way in the front. I able to do this because I have the R spec axle weights which were never sold alone. Shorty pack is good to have because it lets you move the weight around for the traction you need. You will also want to balance the chassis from left to right, it helps a lot.

Tyres: the m chassis S, M, and H radials are good for track that has medium to low traction. Insert: i use the blue on the S grip and the standard grey (firm) on the m and h compound.

If traction is medium to high, I recommend the Pit Shimizu tyres. They come in 60 diameter S, M, H compound or 55D racing with numbered shores. The inserts that come with them are worthless. I run sweep soft pink inserts in mine

For traction compound I run SXT.

ESC: if you feel you need brakes, add drag brake to settings. Normal brakes are not recommended, because you will swap ends. I have mine set to minimum.

Driving: when entering a turn you need to let off throttle for a second and once its entered the turn apply power, gently, It likes to be driven while on power.

Hope this helps

Long live RWD!
Great post. I am building an M-06 for a parking lot series that uses the TCS premounts that only come in the following flavors: S-Grip Radial, Type A slick with soft insert, or Type A slick with hard insert. Do you think the car would be OK with S-Grip radials front and rear? Or is it a must to mix compounds?
Old 01-07-2015, 11:18 PM   #1653
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

S Grips all around work very well too. You will probably need to glue the side walls.. As stated a few pages back.. The newer S Grips have a softer sidewall that rolls when traction is up.
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:02 AM   #1654
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:18 AM   #1655
Tech Adept

yesterday I run my m06(the red special one with axle weight) on carpet and found it has too much off-powering steering with too much traction at rear. But if you loss your gas and make it coasting and steer to a limit the rear would loss traction in a sudden.

My car is running:

blue front
yellow rear
400cst all around
stock diff
m grip all around

I am thinking, maybe I can use a optional diff and tighten it a little bit or increase the oil weight of front damper a little bit?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #1656
Tech Elite

Hi Policeman,

To me it appears that you are having some weight transfer issues from front to rear. The front should have no droop, the arms should be parallel to the chassis and ground. You do this by adding o-rings inside damper. You can also go up in oil to 50cst.

For the rear, try reducing the rear toe. The M06R comes with the 2.0 rear upright, try the 1.0 as well. There's a guy on here that actually ran the 2.0 in reverse, meaning left on right side and vice versa. He had a lot of success on carpet, not recommended for asphalt. So try that as well.

As for camber, front should be 0, rear try reducing it to -1
Old 01-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #1657
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Hi Policeman,

To me it appears that you are having some weight transfer issues from front to rear. The front should have no droop, the arms should be parallel to the chassis and ground. You do this by adding o-rings inside damper. You can also go up in oil to 50cst.

For the rear, try reducing the rear toe. The M06R comes with the 2.0 rear upright, try the 1.0 as well. There's a guy on here that actually ran the 2.0 in reverse, meaning left on right side and vice versa. He had a lot of success on carpet, not recommended for asphalt. So try that as well.

As for camber, front should be 0, rear try reducing it to -1
Thanks a lot for your information very helpful. I will try your setup next time.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #1658
Tech Elite

Tryy recommendations incrementally and see what works. First I would address the front.. Reduce droop and go to 50 cst oil. Then test it. Then adjust camber, test it. Then try different rear toe
Old 02-02-2015, 03:21 AM   #1659
Tech Adept

Hi guys,

how long are your shocks?!? I fitted what I believe are 50746 shocks to my car, which I thought were 50mm ones. Now I have fitted 50mm TRF dampers to my TT-01 racer, these supposedly are also 50mm, but they looked shorter. So I compared:

Sorry for the crappy phone pic, it does not do close up very well. The TRF ones are indeed 50mm, the plastic 50746 (if that is what they are) measure 55. I measure centre to centre of the mounting holes. The shorter dampers also compress further, fully compressed the TRFs are 2,5mm shorter than the plastic ones.

Cheers,

Hugo
HugoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:36 AM   #1660
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLesac View Post
Quick picture of my M06, a work in progress on my body for TCS.
Nice paint!
Old 02-02-2015, 08:47 AM   #1661
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions?? M06 vs. 1/10 mini reg's

Have any of you guys had trouble with class rules?
I just bought an M06-R chassis second-hand, assuming any Tamiya-mini would be legal in class regulation. Then, looking into it further, I have run across several RC internet sites listing only FWD or 4WD chassis as allowable under rules...
I expect the RWD to be more difficult to set up and drive, but enjoy doing things a little differently, and expect with practice to be competitive.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:07 AM   #1662
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Goose View Post
Have any of you guys had trouble with class rules?
I just bought an M06-R chassis second-hand, assuming any Tamiya-mini would be legal in class regulation. Then, looking into it further, I have run across several RC internet sites listing only FWD or 4WD chassis as allowable under rules...
I expect the RWD to be more difficult to set up and drive, but enjoy doing things a little differently, and expect with practice to be competitive.
This is a quote from the Tamiya TCS America site under the rules for mini.
"Legal chassis platforms: M03, M05, M05 V2 and M06 "
MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #1663
Tech Apprentice

Default Gear diff, what weight oil are you using?

Anyone running an oil filled gear diff? If yes, what weight oil are you using?

I've searched back and found a few references to the 3racing diff, mentioning that the kit oil is way too heavy. Someone put 30wt in, but I couldn't find any follow ups.

And a big thanks to Raman. I copied the setup you posted and my car was easy to drive (almost perfect). I'm hoping that a slightly thicker rear diff might help with braking.
tonybod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #1664
Tech Elite

Breaking with RWD is not easy. I have my EPA set to 25% and it still make the car swap ends. I don't think the diff will help. Your best bet would be to use drag brake on your ESC if it has it.

I find that I don't really need brakes. I let off for a second before entering the turn and then go back to low to mid throttle on.. Car rolls right through turn.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #1665
Tech Apprentice

I tend to use brake more to avoid smashing into the rear of someone else

Thanks again for the setup, the car felt as good as my M05 last night. Really easy to drive.
tonybod is offline   Reply With Quote