2-speed electric

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2-speed electric

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 04:08 AM
Tech Adept

You can still gain from using a 2 speed but it really depends on how and where you plan to run. IF you have the time patients and resource, I think the two speed can help cause you can really over gear second (for more top end) without continuously overloading your motor/esc/bats. For instance, with a single speed, say you get the tallest gear that allows 10 min of fast racing with your electronics running ~ 150 deg. Well you can take and use a gear with 2-5 more teeth for your second and use 1-2 teeth smaller for first gear.
As for the brakes, I don't like to use the motor as this uses energy and therefor adds heat to the eletronics. The bad side is the added weight but for my 1/8 scale, doesn't really matter. Just use a Y or mix in on your third channel.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pakk
isn't that what I said?
Sorry I was just emphasizing what you said... that it wouldn't be better...

Originally Posted by snail run
so your trying to tell me it would not work better?
Yes... Single speed is all you need. I have seen a few 8th scale setups up and running and the grunt and top end destroys a nitro car by so much its not funny, all setups where single speed. The advantage lies in the fact the you can add more batteries and up the "octane" real easy with the right motor and ESC. A simple 2s setup will match or better any RTR nitro setup, 4s will beat a full race nitro motor, and 6s is just stupid fast. Google 8th scale electric and check it out yourself like this one...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snail run
so your trying to tell me it would not work better?
Here is a good litmus test before trying things like this. Think of it this way. If a 2 speed trans made a brushless car run faster or better in any way at least ONE manufacture would have released a car with a two speed trans/brushless combo. How many cars are available set up like this? Zero. That to me says it's not all you think it will be, or just flat out woun't work at all.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MonkeyFist
Here is a good litmus test before trying things like this. Think of it this way. If a 2 speed trans made a brushless car run faster or better in any way at least ONE manufacture would have released a car with a two speed trans/brushless combo. How many cars are available set up like this? Zero. That to me says it's not all you think it will be, or just flat out woun't work at all.
I believe that's the same argument us nitro folks used to say about electric motors alltogether; that is until the first couple of company's started making electric RTR kits

Again, a 2 speed is not needed but can be done if the person has the know-how and the extra supplies. I personally wouldn't do it for a dirt/bashing setup unless there were some really long straights because you generally aren't doing lots of full speed sections. For on-road, I actually have come to perfer the two speed just cause my local track has several top speed sections. Initially, in order to increase my speed in these top speed sections I would simply increase pinion size. The problem is that during the other 80% of the track, I was creating a lot of heat. In order to increase my top end on the long straights, AS WELL as decrease energy expenditure during the other 80%, I simply switched to an extreme second gear with a smaller first gear. But then again, with today's ESC's, you can almost do the same thing by adjusting the throttle curves and so on.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Missle
I believe that's the same argument us nitro folks used to say about electric motors alltogether; that is until the first couple of company's started making electric RTR kits

Again, a 2 speed is not needed but can be done if the person has the know-how and the extra supplies. I personally wouldn't do it for a dirt/bashing setup unless there were some really long straights because you generally aren't doing lots of full speed sections. For on-road, I actually have come to perfer the two speed just cause my local track has several top speed sections. Initially, in order to increase my speed in these top speed sections I would simply increase pinion size. The problem is that during the other 80% of the track, I was creating a lot of heat. In order to increase my top end on the long straights, AS WELL as decrease energy expenditure during the other 80%, I simply switched to an extreme second gear with a smaller first gear. But then again, with today's ESC's, you can almost do the same thing by adjusting the throttle curves and so on.
I don't think there same insane power increases you see in racing brushless systems can be applied to a hi voltage conversion, but it isn't necessary. You put 4s lipo in a decent chassis and you will have massive power straight away. 6s and you will need very good throttle control to be able to run up and down the street without doing backflips and circle work. Why add something that will add a week point into the system?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Initiate

i see where ya'll coming from, i already built it and test it and to tell the truth my trinity T-spec looks like it runs better. think i'm gonna try it single speed and see how it run