Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Not Tekin

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Tech Addict

Default Why Not Tekin

I'm getting back into racing and I'm thinking of running 17.5 or 13.5. The ESC of choice at my local track is the Tekin RS Sensored and after checking the price of their combo $249.99, why should I buy something else?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

You shouldn't.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wingracer;
You shouldn't.
+1
Old 08-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
You shouldn't.
+2
Old 08-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bubblehead
I'm getting back into racing and I'm thinking of running 17.5 or 13.5. The ESC of choice at my local track is the Tekin RS Sensored and after checking the price of their combo $249.99, why should I buy something else?
You don't need the pro, by the way. For mod, there are better ESCs out there. For any kind of spec motor racing (17.5, 13.5, 10.5, etc...) the normal tekin RS just can't be beat! With their latest software, you can literally program any amount of timing advance, that changes dymamically with both RPM and full throttle delay you want. The bonus is that you can literally squeeze any and all potential from any motor you run. The downside is, you can also easlily blow a motor up if you over do it or don't do it right.... running dynamic timing, and getting the most out of it, has a bit of a learning curve.

now on the other hand, if you are going to be racing in a class that only allows "0 ESC timing", then the tekin RS doesn't really give you any advantage at all, and there are cheaper alternatives.

(edit: oh yeah.. and there are better motors than the tekin redline too, in my opinion. Don't think you HAVE to buy the combo... The fastest combo right now, in my opinion... is the Tekin RS and the Epic/Trinity Duo1 motor. Just ask the winner of the roar paved nats this year. It's also a killer fast combo at my local track.)
Old 08-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks, If you can't beat them......., Tekin it is.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

but if you are going to run no timing initially, and later want to switch and try out dynamic timing, the Tekin RS or RS Pro can do both. So it is versatile. Also, software updates are free, and so far have kept it on or near the top for most racers. Its small too, if fit is a concern.

so, basically, it does have a lot going for it. The RS, is plenty for most racers, the RS pro has twice the number of FETS, so half the overall resistance at full speed, which should provide a slight advantage, which will show more and more as the wire size gets bigger, ie; lower motor number.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Don't forget the laptop. Thats an extra 300 at least.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gashuffer
Don't forget the laptop. Thats an extra 300 at least.
but he said there are tekins and i would assume he is friends with most and could use there pc
Old 08-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I just 'Killed' the killer fast combo at my local track this weekend using Speedpassion ESC and motor in the 17.5 expert class. Honestly, ALL the escs and motors are pretty much equal, it just depends on whos driving it, how its set up, tires, and many other variables, may it also be noted: that the Nats winner was using a Xray 008, and Marc is one hellva a driver.

Like I said, thier all good. it is a lot easier to go fast if you have what most guys are running and you'll have lots of help I'm sure
Old 08-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Or if you race at NorCal, they had a computer with v208 available for anyone to use. Don't know if they will have it available after the nats though.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
You don't need the pro, by the way. For mod, there are better ESCs out there. ...
Like what? I'm getting back into racing as well. Also, I don't understand the 17.5, 13.5, 10.5... I know they are winds in the motor, but since I'm coming from brushed motors, can someone explain to me what is the BRUSHED equivalent of a 10.5 BRUSHLESS motor? I.e. - I only want to buy one motor for a fairly large road course (see pic). This is at Control Freakz in Chaplin, CT. I ran a 10 turn single brushed motor and it was nowhere near fast enough. I would top out at probably 25% of the long straightaway. So from a BL perspective, I need to know what # turn motor to get for my touring car.

So can someone comment on "better" speed controls and comment on size motor I should consider?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Why Not Tekin-img_3976.jpg  
Old 08-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You really cant find the equilvalent or guage approximately the turns cause different brands have different kv ratings or motor speed ratings. You just have to get into it, youtube, and gain your own sense of how fast an x amout of kv will be. Like I coudlnt even tell you where to begin to be close because ive never messed with brushed motors long enough.

For that big track your may want a mod or 5.5t motor if you cant handle it.

To the OP, I think hobbywaang is the new hotness.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
You don't need the pro, by the way. For mod, there are better ESCs out there.
I'm not sure this is true since v208.
The RS is so smooth now it is at least as good as anything out there for Mod.
Plus Tekin have extra options, and the Push control is not available with any other speedo, I think ?
Mod
Spec
Stock Boosted, it does it all.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M3Armand
Like what? I'm getting back into racing as well. Also, I don't understand the 17.5, 13.5, 10.5... I know they are winds in the motor, but since I'm coming from brushed motors, can someone explain to me what is the BRUSHED equivalent of a 10.5 BRUSHLESS motor? I.e. - I only want to buy one motor for a fairly large road course (see pic). This is at Control Freakz in Chaplin, CT. I ran a 10 turn single brushed motor and it was nowhere near fast enough. I would top out at probably 25% of the long straightaway. So from a BL perspective, I need to know what # turn motor to get for my touring car.

So can someone comment on "better" speed controls and comment on size motor I should consider?

Thanks in advance!
it is said, that a 17.5 would be like a stock brushed motor, however as you have read, we have this wonderful little thing called 'boost' which makes your stock motor run like a 13/3 brushed motor.

if in the past you ran a 10 single, I'm guessing that would be a around a 6.5 or 7.5 without boost, which with the right esc you can boost to run like a 7 but more controlable.

youtube is a great idea, it will give you a guide line as to how fast you wanna go, youtube the nats we had a couple of weeks ago, or the reedy race. thats a pretty good size track but not as big as yours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.