Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Not Tekin

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 07:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

The ESC wars never end This topic has been discussed a million times over. People are so obsessed with the IDEA of going fast but in reality don't have the skills. So why spends hundreds of dollars on electronics when your real focus should be practicing first. Even if your getting back into racing. You can always sell off and upgrade. Look at the forsale section. People are always saying" I used this for 3 mins and decided to change brands" or something to that effect. ESC brands are so "trendy" your bound to get a great deal somewhere.

Racers look to the fast guys to see what their using to base what they are going to buy "so and so uses this it must be good", not realizing that they practice all the time and have been doing it for years.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

The tekin products are true race bread esc's. i loved my rs when i had it. running the hobbywing xerun 60A this year due to bugdet. an esc that can keep up with the big brands for $80 dollars? yep im in
Old 08-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just got in with a 120A myself. $155 for ESC 5.5 motor and LCD program box.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gashuffer
The ESC wars never end This topic has been discussed a million times over. People are so obsessed with the IDEA of going fast but in reality don't have the skills. So why spends hundreds of dollars on electronics when your real focus should be practicing first. Even if your getting back into racing. You can always sell off and upgrade. Look at the forsale section. People are always saying" I used this for 3 mins and decided to change brands" or something to that effect. ESC brands are so "trendy" your bound to get a great deal somewhere.

Racers look to the fast guys to see what their using to base what they are going to buy "so and so uses this it must be good", not realizing that they practice all the time and have been doing it for years.
True.....and some folks like to try and make sure that skill is the only thing keeping them from the front.That's why some worry that the equipment is the best. I'm just sayin'
Old 08-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

The esc wars will never end. To us it's a hobby, to them it's a business. If no one is buying their products, they go under. That's business.

The OP does have skills. He got out when it wasn't fun anymore. He's been at the track and asked for opinions. We gave him OUR opinions and now he's asking for yours. If he was trying to be trendy or follow the leader, he would have just bought the Tekin and been done with it.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks Tony, you know I like using different equipment, Losi XXXS, FTTC4, Hot Bodies Cyclone, but I can't find a reason and no one has given me a reason not to buy a Tekin.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Bubblehead
Thanks Tony, you know I like using different equipment, Losi XXXS, FTTC4, Hot Bodies Cyclone, but I can't find a reason and no one has given me a reason not to buy a Tekin.
go with your gut
Old 08-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I love my Tekin,,,,,
Old 08-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bubblehead
Ok. Reason not to buy a Tekin.
1.They're cheaper systems that produce the same results.
2. If you do not have access to a lap top, updating can be a PITA.
3. Not a spec class esc, depending on where you race.
4. You will never get close to what you pay for if you decide to sell it. Big loss.
5. Red in colour.
6. Once your wife or girlfriend finds out how much you paid for it you will never hear the end of it.
7. Constant updating will last only so long before they release another esc, which will probably be in the Calandra range.
8. You will hate it after your first loss to another cheaper brand esc.
9. Poor led configuration.
10. Crappy cap.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

1.They're cheaper systems that produce the same results.
No, there are cheaper systems that come close.

2. If you do not have access to a lap top, updating can be a PITA.
There are MANY MANY drivers at my club who use an RS, who don't bring laptops, and do just fine. Why? because those of us with laptops love to help. I update / change settings on multiple people's ESCs every race weekend. This isn't a reason to not buy one.

3. Not a spec class esc, depending on where you race.
This has nothing to do with the performace of the ESC. if your club specs ONE model ESC, then every single model BUT that one wont work for you. This is a pointless bullet.

4. You will never get close to what you pay for if you decide to sell it. Big loss.
100% wrong. The Tekin RS holds GREAT resale value. Just go look at the for sale forums.

5. Red in colour.
Yeah, its red and black. This is a reason to not buy one?

6. Once your wife or girlfriend finds out how much you paid for it you will never hear the end of it.

7. Constant updating will last only so long before they release another esc, which will probably be in the Calandra range.
This is a disadvantage in comparrison to those companies that release a new model ever 6 months?

8. You will hate it after your first loss to another cheaper brand esc.
Yep.. whenever I lose a race, the first thing I do is blame my ESC, and then hate it.

9. Poor led configuration.
The LEDs are fine

10. Crappy cap.
The cap was chosen specifically for the RS for its discharge characteristics and works perfectly. It's small and inconspicuous.
answers in red
Old 08-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
answers in red
Old 08-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Tech Champion

I really like this one. I don't tell my wife what I buy or how much it costs. I don't ask her about how much her clothes cost or why she has 40 pairs of black shoes either. Problem solved.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stiltskin
I really like this one. I don't tell my wife what I buy or how much it costs. I don't ask her about how much her clothes cost or why she has 40 pairs of black shoes either. Problem solved.
Tony is on point! 40 pairs of BLACK shoes is dead on! I heard something the other day, "happy wife, happy life".......still agreeing with that!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stiltskin
The secret to a happy marriage. Smart man
Old 08-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Ok this is a great thread ill have a crack!

I bought an RS then after say 2 meetings reverse polarity'd it... gone...

So i bought a HobbyWing XERun 120a to tide me over (With program card) until the tekin came back from the USA (Which cost $79 plus postage US, for a new replacement unit!).

Since i had a new in packet RS and the Hotwire i sold it... and got near new money for it.

I stuck with the hobbyiwing because its bulletproof (Some experiments proved this ) and its a lot easier to set up.

In saying that i believe the tekin with the new software has an advantage... it has a lot more down low (From racing others) and is smaller then the XErun

I have since bought an Xtreme stock (Hobbywing)

They are just so cheap and simple... but its up to you. If you dont mind the work i believe it will pay off (the Tekin).

Oh, and i dont think the Tekin has more top end.

And as said dont get the combo, go with something like a Duo2 or speed passion V3 in the motor department...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.