Wiki Posts
Search

HPI RCGT

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default HPI RCGT

Ok Folks, here they are. The new rules for RCGT have been approved. Hope you like them. Many of you had a voice in what was decided.

1. Bodies: Any 190mm or 200mm realistic GT type body (no touring class racing bodies such as Stratus or Mazda 6). Molded kit wings or aftermarket wings are highly suggested. Lexan wings must be of proportionate size. Lexan wings are not allowed in Concours.

2. Tires: HPI X-Pattern tires, part #s 4790, 4490 and 4495 are the official spec tire of RCGT. Alternate tires may be used at the race organizer's discretion, but all HPI supported RCGT events will use the x-pattern tires.

3. Inserts: For HPI X-Pattern tires the stock insert must be used. All alternate tires choices may use any insert. Race organizer may define specific choices.

4. Wheels: Any REALISTIC spoke type 26mm wheel may be used. No aero dish or lightweight racing wheels allowed.

5. Motors/Esc's: Any 21.5 or 17.5 brushless motor/esc as shown on the ROAR Sportsman list. In addition, the Speed Passion Cirtix 21.5 and 17.5 are allowed.

6. Chassis: Any 1/10 scale all wheel drive touring car chassis. Minimum weight requirement is 1475 grams.

7. Batteries: Any Lipo 2S packs up to a maximum of 5000mah. Hard case packs are highly suggested. (revised)

Big Thanks go to all of you who responded either by post or PM. I and Pete Waydo (reenmachine) have volunteered to act as a voice between the racers and HPI and to try and clarify rules questions as they come up. Really big Thankyou to Andy at HPI. If not for his continued interest we may have seen a great program go away.
We all hope the revised rules will help everybody continue to enjoy the RCGT program. I should also say that we'll do our best to consider and make revisions when necessary. We can't plan for everything but we'll try and catch up to them as quickly as possible. Thanks again to all of you !!!!

Last edited by Evoracer; 06-24-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Very Cool.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

7. Batteries: Lipo 2S packs up to a maximum of 5000mah and 30C. Hard case packs are highly suggested.

So.....What's the 30c battery of choice? (I know I opening a can of worms here )
Old 06-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by C&B RC
7. Batteries: Lipo 2S packs up to a maximum of 5000mah and 30C. Hard case packs are highly suggested.

So.....What's the 30c battery of choice? (I know I opening a can of worms here )
No worries. I'm sure somebody will suggest something. I can't because all mine are Zippy 4000, 25c.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
No worries. I'm sure somebody will suggest something. I can't because all mine are Zippy 4000, 25c.
Funny! That's what I've got too, but I need a second one or something comparable.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by C&B RC
Funny! That's what I've got too, but I need a second one or something comparable.
So why not stick with the Zippy's. At 25 bucks they're still a deal. R u getting yours from Hobby King ??
Old 06-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

30C for the batteries? Why take a step back in tech? With the motors you are trying to spec and no timing advance there would not even be a noticeable difference from a 30C and a 50C. Hopefully my local track does not adopt these rules, as all of my batteries are 40C and 50C. Also minimum weight 1475? Again why? Back to filling the car with lead? More weight causes more parts failure when you wreck, and strains the motor and electronics more. If you want to help RCGT, do something to either make the tire cheaper, or spec the belteds since they last longer.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Damnit Man
30C for the batteries? Why take a step back in tech? With the motors you are trying to spec and no timing advance there would not even be a noticeable difference from a 30C and a 50C. Hopefully my local track does not adopt these rules, as all of my batteries are 40C and 50C. Also minimum weight 1475? Again why? Back to filling the car with lead? More weight causes more parts failure when you wreck, and strains the motor and electronics more. If you want to help RCGT, do something to either make the tire cheaper, or spec the belteds since they last longer.
Sorry Donovan, in a way we are taking a step backward in technology. Performance wasnt the primary concern regarding batteries....it was price of entry. Everybody agrees that we need to keep getting new people involved and 100+ dollar batteries aren't the way to go. The weight was chosen as a mid point between VTA and TC. The x-patterns are the spec but at least now any group or individual can choose to use an alternate tire.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Sorry Donovan, in a way we are taking a step backward in technology. Performance wasnt the primary concern regarding batteries....it was price of entry. Everybody agrees that we need to keep getting new people involved and 100+ dollar batteries aren't the way to go. The weight was chosen as a mid point between VTA and TC. The x-patterns are the spec but at least now any group or individual can choose to use an alternate tire.
You just increased my entry fee. There would be zero performance gain in running a 40C or even a 50C battery with the motor and ESC that you have speced. If anything the lower C rating will give boosted performance as the heat of the cell rises. You are going to kill this class by over complicating/teching it. The great part that I found about RCGT was being able to take a back up parts car and older batteries and motors out and competing in a fun class just by changing tires and body. It's not a class that many racers are going to go out and spend money on too much different equipment for.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

It's not a class that many racers are going to go out and spend money on too much different equipment for.
Different from what ?? We hope you'll stay involved and continue enjoying the class. If your local track decides to create or adopt something else there's not much we can do but we hope they'll see that the new rules aren't that much different from the old ones and are actually much better for the class as more experienced drivers like yourself concentrate on higher performance levels.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

I think it would be great if everybody started giving reports on what tires they end up trying. There's stuff out there that I didn't even know existed. So if you try a particular brand of tire or compound please post what your experience was. This weekend I'll be trying out the HPI 4435 slicks with the molded inserts. Should be fun. Our concrete surface can be really different at varying temperatures and humidity levels.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

The batteries.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by T.MARSHALL
Very Cool.
Thanks !! Don't think we heard from you before but if it helps then it's all good. Have Fun !!
Old 06-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Initiate

30C for the batteries? Why take a step back in tech? With the motors you are trying to spec and no timing advance there would not even be a noticeable difference from a 30C and a 50C. Hopefully my local track does not adopt these rules, as all of my batteries are 40C and 50C.
Ditto! I don't have a single 30C or less pack. We race at the same track, so if it comes down to it, I will back you up. Although I am pretty sure we will at least be able to run our current rules for the remainder of the current point series.

Also minimum weight 1475? Again why? Back to filling the car with lead?
This doesn't really bother me since my car is a heavy pig and a miniature tank all in one. Well over 1500g as is with no lead.

The only other thing that I don't like too much is that now I need to re-gear my TC4 way lower since we are nixing the timing advance. Most of the pinions and spurs I have were for the 6-8:1 FDR range, and now I have to buy a bunch of larger pinions and smaller spurs to get into 3-5:1 FDR range. Hopefully I won't have to grind out the chassis to accommodate those ridiculously large pinions.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Really don't think you'll have a problem running out your series. If I can make a suggestion, it sounds like you guys might like to continue running the class but your batts are basically the ones you use for TC. How bout getting together and ordering some inexpensive batteries and splitting the cost ?? Just an FYI, these Zippy's we mentioned earlier are like 25 bucks a piece.
I think you still have to grind a bit on the TC4. No big deal though. No timing /boost is pretty much the norm for even the non-HPI Gt programs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.