Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Just a quick question....Tamiya Mini Cooper. . . >

Just a quick question....Tamiya Mini Cooper. . .

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just a quick question....Tamiya Mini Cooper. . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Post Just a quick question....Tamiya Mini Cooper. . .

Ok so there is a fair amount of info in the threads about the Mini but it must be said it all appears to be about how to modify it.

What I'm trying to find on the net is a review from the original release when it's in its box stock form.

So if anybody knows of one and can include a link it would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It all depends on which version you are talking about, M01, M02, M03, M03L, M04, or M04M? I seem to remember Steve Wang from SpeedTech RC writing a review for one of these chassis in one of the magazines, but I don't recall which chassis or mag.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This should help...

Built to Win - BMW Mini Building and Setup Guide by the Grand Poobah
Old 06-11-2004, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Default My bad I should have said.....

Originally posted by RC Driver Gary
It all depends on which version you are talking about, M01, M02, M03, M03L, M04, or M04M? I seem to remember Steve Wang from SpeedTech RC writing a review for one of these chassis in one of the magazines, but I don't recall which chassis or mag.
Yeah the car I have in mind as a second run around is the M03/L.

Any review that doesn't mention hopups is what I'm looking for because if I decided to enter it in any contest here in NZ we're not allowed any mods except a bearing set, other than that even the 3 step speed control and bevel diff has to be used.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 06-11-2004 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What I would do then, is head down to the track and talk to the guys about who are racing the damn things there. I started in RC at the end of last year, and only began racing at the start of this year, and you will find them to be really helpful guys. Well I know that at BRCCC (Boronia, Victoria, Australia) that most guys are really informative and are just happy enough to see another car on the road.

Ask them about it, but I still don't know exactly what you want to know. A review??? A basic idea of the car is, that its a FWD entry level racer really. Not much else to know about it. Not a HUGE amount to do to tune it in comparison to others. The pinion you get with the car is really the only one you'd ever use. Just chuck some toe out on the front and that should sort you out at least for the start.

Generally a review will just mention the fundamentals of a car and its tuning options, but if you can't modify it, then the review is really useless. If you want to find out about the car, ask guys at the club or better still, your Local Hobby Store (LHS!!!)

Cheers and Good Luck!
Old 06-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Well I'd do that if anyone at my nearest club ran them, but mainly I'd like a review to just to read about build quality and anything to watch out for.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If it says Tamiya on the box..I don't think yoyu have much worory about build quality...

Tamiya is well known for having some of the best build quality and instructions of any manufacturer...even on their 'fun' level kits...

I'm a little confused though...that no one at your club runs them...but you're worried about how it performs bone stock...since your club doesn't allow modifications?

Each time you start a new thread you confuse me even more
Old 06-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

The national rules don't allow modifications and other clubs I might go to do run them.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Tech Adept

Review of basic MO3-L car in "Radio Control Car Racer" (English Monthly Magazine) February 2003 issue.

Doesn't say much, "tried and true chassis, strong.

Cheers
Peter

Last edited by Pedro 51; 06-14-2004 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Tech Master

Thanks dude I'll see if I can find it online, and nice to meet you today by the way.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Honesty, its a very very basic car to make, not much in the way of build tips required to build it. Just read to Built to Win article on Tamiyas web site and then you have everything you need to know.

But yeah, they are awesomely built cars, but remember that they are entry level cars. They are not going to be FAST, but they will be good for fun. That's what they do best, let you have fun!
Old 06-13-2004, 02:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I saw a mini class racing on Saturday here in Adelaide, the cars seemed to act like cats, they roll over, and always land on thier wheels!

The drivers were having a ball, I was enjoying watching them race. Me and the other half are now going to get Mini's just to race for fun!
Old 06-13-2004, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you want to race a Tamiya mini and have to keep it is stock trim I would definately get the M03L RWD version if it is allowed. The RWD is easier to handle and seems a little quicker. Also the Miata body that it comes with is lighter than Mini Cooper shell. Not to mention that the torque of the motor doesn't overpower the stock servo saver as much......
Old 06-14-2004, 05:48 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

What are you sniffing IP?

There is NO such M03 that's RWD (rear wheel drive?).

The only RWD Tamiya minis are the M02 & M04.

And the M04L RWD will NEVER be as easy to drive as any FWD.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

The RWD M0-2 Miata is real nice to drive, far easier than the FWD M0-1 mini, heaps of fun!

But only FWD and mini bodies, no hop ups, 3 speed manual speedee, allowed in racing here.

Cheers
Peter