R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-10-2004, 08:38 PM   #1
Tech Addict
Got an Xray. Now, what? (pinion/spur combination/tire suggestions)

Got an Xray [finally] and need suggestions on pinion/spur combinations and tire/wheel widths.

I'll be running a Lightspeed Stock motor on carpet [with whatever spur gear comes with the kit - I'd tell ya, but it hasn't arrived yet]. I'm specifically looking for pitch advise, along with pinion size [looking to avoid spending too much coin in experimentation, since I've pawned a few things that weren't bolted down just to get this kit LOL].

Everyone seems to run foams, 35s to 37s being the most popular. Just thinking width; 24mm, 26mm, 28mm?

Any tips, tricks and hints are welcomed too [plan on turning laps at Mike's Hobby Shop, in Carrollton, Tx]!

Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:12 PM   #2
Tech Regular

93 tooth 48 pitch is what comes with it, with the T1R anyway.
new92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:14 PM   #3
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The stock spur on a T1 is a 93 tooth 48 pitch. As for what pinion to use, I have no idea for that track. Last winter I was running a 28 to 30 tooth depending on rollout, and now I'm runing a 21 at a different track.... which that information probably won't help you in the slightest.

For tires I (accidently, ordered the wrong part numbers) ran 24 mm Jaco foams for a while, then changed to 28 and it was a huge difference. Considering the price is the same and such, theres no reason that I know of to run the 24s over 28 mm tires.
psbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 03:32 AM   #4
Tech Addict

I asked a racer few weeks ago and I believe he said his pinion number was 30, and spur 128. Coming from a brief stint in 12scale, I though those numbers were kinda odd.

I would have thought 28mm would cause additional rotating mass and greater friction. This is actually surprising and good news. I have a few 26mm tires around near in the shores I overheard racers discussing. I dreaded buying a bunch more tires and/or cutting some existing ones. I did read a thread where the guy was considering 21mm over 24mm becuase he had too much traction, and inquired about rotating mass and friction [but no one tackled those issues in the htread].

Still looking for pitch info; 48 or 64, comaptibility between the two and other options or suggestions. Roll-out is something I understand a bit, but have never really tried getting truly involved with [have a truer coming in and plannned giving it my first real jump into it with my nitro [Kyo RR w/ a Wasp .12T]. I just "gripped it and ripped it" [and not very well either]. LOL

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:24 AM   #5
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I run at mikes. if you start with a final of 6.0 - 6.5 you will be in the ball park. And most of the guys are running 28mm purple\plaids. with some experimenting with double pink\orange. the pinion would depend on the internal ratio you have. Did you get a FK. If so,, then your internal would be 1.77 and final comes out to spur/pinion * internal
yang lai

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:24 AM   #6
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Hey Tom - I think I can help you out here.

First off, tires - Carpet seems very popular with TRC plaid (jaco orange/purple) fronts and purples rear. If your not getting enough steering, than you can try double purple fronts. I use these combos on carpet with my xray and they seem to work very well. Tire traction compond can also be another tuning option. Full face rear and 1/2 inside front seem to be key. I use TQ tire traction compound, but another good brand is corally or paragon if allowed. I always use 28mm tires front/back but on the xray you can mount 30mm in the rear if you want more rear traction. Foam tires have less rotating mass than rubber, even at 28mm so don't be too concerened about that. Tire diameter is also key with carpet racing. I generally start around 61-60mm and ditch them when I hit 55-56mm (that is if they don't chunk first..LOL) Xray seems to really like the 57-60mm tires, but you'll have to adjust your gear ratio according to tire wear to keep the same rollout. That brings me to my next point.

First off you'll have to decide if you want to run 48 or 64 pitch gears. Both have thier advantages and disadvantages. 48 pitch is a little beefier of a gear. It has wider teeth but less than of them. (48 pitch means 48 teeth/1" diameter. 64 pitch is 64 teeth/1" diameter) So you see, 64 pitch has about 1/4 more teeth for the same diameter. Therefor it has more tuning options for gear ratios. (smaller increments per pinion sizes when matched with the same spur gear) 48 pitch is beefier and can be less succeptable to damage if you run outdoor asphalt racing where dust/rocks can collect.

Personally, I run 64 pitch since I like to have a lot of tuning adjustments and the gaps are not as large between ratios than with 48 pitch. I do know that a lot of team drivers do run 48 with great success so the choice really is up to you.

For 64 pitch, I only run 128 64P kimbrough spur gears, both indoor carpet and asphalt. The 128 gear is large, that means that you will have your motor lower for a lower center of gravity and if you got the Xray Factory Team kit, you have the 1.77 internal gear ratio, not the 2.125 that came standard with the T1, Evo 2 and T1R. The 1.77 gears with like a 120 or 124 spur gear will put the motor in contact with the motor can and the results is not as free of a drive train and also heat from the motor can degrade the belt (though kevlar lined). Thats why people only run the 128 spur gear and adjust their pinions to the ratio that they want to run. (you'll have to adjust the 128 gear to 48 pitch if you decide to run that way. Either a 93 or 94 spur gear I believe will be compatable)

What motor style are you going with lightspeed? Is it a monster based motor? If so, gear around a 7.5 with 60mm foam tires.

I hope this helps you, ask me if you have any questions or check out the xray thread. There is loads of info there.

Happy Racing and putting together your new Xray!
Xray and Serpent....very dusty!
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:00 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Look forward to picking your brain at trackside. I'm hoping 1/10 TC gives me more stick time, and a whole lotta knowledge and experience. Roll-out seems to be more than just a sidebar, but rather fairly important in comparison to my nitro experience [or it could just be my lack of knowledge and experience]. The competition isn't as important as the comraderie of RCers, which I really look forward to.

It'll be a few weeks before I can hit the track, but will certainly try to catch up with you.

John Fontaine
Thanks for all of the info and your time [if you use the Marine Corps "hunt and peck typing system", I'm sure it took up a chunk of it].

I predict I'll use the post often as a reference tool [already printed and saved].

Again, thanks to both of you for the insight and your willingness to share.

Tom G
Old 06-11-2004, 10:32 PM   #8
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I run at Mike's also, Glad to see another Xray out there. But I do run 30/128 or 31/128. For tire's I run dbl purple up front and tan in the rear. If you do need any help find me at the track and I will glad to lend a hand.
prphze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 04:04 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Way cool. I'll certainly take you up on your offer. I'm really interested in 30/128 combination regarding the thought and performance behind it.