Community
Wiki Posts
Search

35 Amp Graded cells from SMC coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I give props to Danny because the stickers don't lie. I know that a lot of people buy packs based on the stickers, I do not because I got a few packs that were completly crap eventhough the sticker claimed 1.89v 436 run time @ 30amp.

I buy only what I trust and I trust Danny's packs to be the best at any level.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by UCHEATULOSE

and i'm sorry but pro match,fukuyama,surge,kinetix...trinity , reedy, orion, peak, power push...none of those quality matchers have 35 amp numbers on there cells..and those are the companies i see in all the magazines with there name next to the A main winners? if someone else is selling 35 amp batteries it's not helping them cause they aint winning races.. win on sunday sell on monday... and like EA said sandhills and danny are tight..and i have seen there stuff in magazines lately...

After reading through this thread, I feel compelled to write a few things..

Other matchers will be able to quickly switch over to the 35 amp match rate, that is even if it catches on.. and frankly I don't know why it would. Here is my reasoning - When GP cells are taken off of CE 4/35 machines they are RED HOT. You can't even hold them in your hand without burning yourself. Now add another 5 amps to the total discharge rate and what do you have.. an even HOTTER cell. GP cells can take a lot of punishment, but come on! Isn't one of the basic principals of Ni-MH cells not to overheat? I think it would be prudent to think that by cranking the discharge amperage up you could actually wind up damaging the cell.. and what exactly do you think an extra 5 amps going to actually do? Cells are effectively weeded out by a 30 amp process. I find it highly unlikely you will find many, if any, further weak cells by matching at a 35 amp discharge rate. Oh and heres the thing that gets me.. Unless your running a very low turn modifed motor your not going to draw 35 amps.. your not even go to draw 30 amps so there go's that theory!

SMC has always matched a quality cell, that I will not contest.. but for all you SMC staff, please give me a very technicial, detailed reason as to why cells matched utilizing at 35 amp discarge rate are better than cells matched utilizing a 30 amp rate. At this point all I see is a clever marketing scheme to increase sales.. creating hype with no real basis.

Sorry SMC, I don't see the logic.

RB

Last edited by RecordBreaker; 06-10-2004 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

RB: Its designed to weed out the bad cells better

But my question is: What does Danny do with the bad cells?
Old 06-10-2004, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

My only grip is if you are weeding out even more cells won't that drive up cost as you won't have as many to sell.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by The Black Kat
RB: Its designed to weed out the bad cells better

But my question is: What does Danny do with the bad cells?
As I stated in my post - You are NOT going to weed out many more cells, if any, by utilizing a 35 amp discharge rate during the matching process. You may even damage the cells by discharging at that amperage.

Old 06-10-2004, 07:47 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally posted by RecordBreaker
As I stated in my post - You are NOT going to weed out many more cells, if any, by utilizing a 35 amp discharge rate during the matching process. You may even damage the cells by discharging at that amperage.
Dont you think after 9-10 months of testing that Danny knows if the cells are going to be damaged or not? Are none of the answers that have been posted already not good enough for you? Do you think he is going to put out a subpar product and go down in quality from the stuff he has now? He has the best batteries around as it is...And I can tell you for a fact that EVERY cell that comes in goes right back out quicker than any other matcher around!! His backorder list is huge. So I ask why do you think he NEEDS a sales gimmick with the demand he already has?

EA
Old 06-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by EAMotorsports
His backorder list is huge.

I remember waiting until 2 days before carpet nats. for my packs to show up at my lhs.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Dont you think after 9-10 months of testing that Danny knows if the cells are going to be damaged or not? Are none of the answers that have been posted already not good enough for you? Do you think he is going to put out a subpar product and go down in quality from the stuff he has now? He has the best batteries around as it is...And I can tell you for a fact that EVERY cell that comes in goes right back out quicker than any other matcher around!! His backorder list is huge. So I ask why do you think he NEEDS a sales gimmick with the demand he already has?

EA
No EA, those answers are not good enough for me, I am quite positive there is no advantage of a 35 amp discharge process and I am very well versed in Ni-MH battery chemistry.. So I guess I'll just sit here and wait until someone from SMC give me a technicial explanation of why this is better.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by Adam Hartzell
My only grip is if you are weeding out even more cells won't that drive up cost as you won't have as many to sell.
I would've thought the same thing Adam, but turns out that it's a LOT more cost effective to chunk a bad cell that might have slipped by than replace a WHOLE PACK to a customer who lost a cell!!
Old 06-10-2004, 08:03 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally posted by RecordBreaker
No EA, those answers are not good enough for me, I am quite positive there is no advantage of a 35 amp discharge process and I am very well versed in Ni-MH battery chemistry.. So I guess I'll just sit here and wait until someone from SMC give me a technicial explanation of why this is better.
Well if your so "versed" then why dont you give us YOUR reason that it is NOT better? Im sure myself and a few others might find it entertaining.

EA
Old 06-10-2004, 08:22 PM
Tech Regular

Does anyone think the new 35 amp discharge rate is just to mixup the runtime and voltage for the average racer. Now it seems like it is harder for battery matchers to sell 1.16-1.17 volt batteries i don't think runtime is much a issue for the average racer. Changing the discharge rate will for a time boost sales of so so batterys for a few months. What will it really do for the average racer.

Last edited by gotyournumber; 06-10-2004 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Lets see.... Someone (Danny) who is a well respected Matcher spends a lot of time and money testing a new matching method and feels it is a improvement over his old method. Or some guy no one has heard of, saying its not better. With out any testing to backup his points... boy I dont know who I would have more faith in
Old 06-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

LOL, I dunno why everyone's worked up over 35amp discharged cells.

Its still the same cells you're buying man. Just with different numbers.

For a moment I thought this was a "new cell" thread.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well if your so "versed" then why dont you give us YOUR reason that it is NOT better? Im sure myself and a few others might find it entertaining.

EA
Oh come on, EA your the one that is pitching them, not me. I just want to know why they are better and we should buy them. In my original post I replied to someone (don't recall if it was you) who was ripping on other matchers because 'they don't offer numbers produced by a 35 amp discharge' on their cells. That irritated me because it makes it appear that cells matched by 30 amps are inferior when in all actuality they are NOT, they may even be BETTER.

I already gave you a good reason - Higher rate discharging can lead to excessive heat generation and decrease the discharging effciency making the numbers on your nice new SMC packs less accurate then ones created by a 30 amp discharge process. Even if the cells are discharged within an ambient temperature range of -10c to +50c it is quite possible the added five amp amperage rate will push the cell to exceed their nominal operating temperature of 55c. Most racers motors will never pull even 30 amps.. so I ask again, why are SMC cells matched at 35 amps better?
Old 06-10-2004, 08:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by gotyournumber
Does anyone thing think the new 35 amp discharge rate is just to mixup the runtime and voltage for the average racer. Now it seems like it is harder for battery matchers to sell 1.16-1.17 volt batteries i don't think runtime is much a issue for the average racer. Changing the discharge rate will for a time boost sales of so so batterys for a few months. What will it really do for the average racer.
Exactly my point gotyournumber! To me it simply appears SMC is simply trying to shake up the battery maket with cells touted as better, but no actual reason why.. plus us racers can't accurately compared their numbers to cells matched at 30 amps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.